Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
We likely will be but then we have to worry about our kids and for those that have them, grandkids. At the moment if I were contemplating having kids I think I'd have to give it very careful consideration as I'm not real optimistic about the future of the world for the next 80 years.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
We likely will be but then we have to worry about our kids and for those that have them, grandkids. At the moment if I were contemplating having kids I think I'd have to give it very careful consideration as I'm not real optimistic about the future of the world for the next 80 years.
Honestly, if I could go back in time......I wouldn't have had any children, just to save them from what l forsee in the future.

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our state has gone to he// with all this stuff. There are buses from all over the state chartered to go to the capitol on Monday 1-20-20. It is going to be a huge showing. I'm not going because there is no way my knee and ankle could deal with hours of standing and all. Talked to a couple of guys that said they were going and two others that said they aren't going because there weren't any seats left on the bus and the traffic is going to be crazy, so not sensible to make a drive themselves.
I also am not feeling very good about the future for the next generations. I don't think that life will get better as we were always led to believe that our lives could be better with decency and hard work. There are too many who want to run everything, and control those that they think need to be "taken care of" because they aren't smart enough to take care of themselves.... More of a divided class system with there being only the haves and have nots than we have seen in this country. And the have nots are "taken care of " but they also are totally controlled by those that are doing the taking care of.
One thing that is good, Virginia only allows a single term as gov so he will get voted out and there just might be enough people woken up now that the ones who didn't vote before will start voting now.

We had a total of 1 inch rain through Sunday and 4/10 inch the day before. Temps today got up to 53 with mostly cloudy, few short peeks of sun. Rain and such tomorrow and then some sun on Wed and Thurs, but then more weather coming in. We are going to see some more mud that is for sure.

Got to figure out what I am going to have for some supper. Soup is sounding pretty good. Have to see what I have.

I have to go have the mammogram and bone density test tomorrow. That ought to finally make the PCP happy, and then an appt with her on Thursday to go over the neurology appt that I had to go to, and this. Also going to push for her to get with the ankle dr so that I can get into the rehab place for the first 2-3 weeks after the surgery. I need to get this all planned out. My son will not be back to work and he is still pretty weak on his leg. He is not going to be able to take care of me and I want to go somewhere that they are going to take care of me for a couple of weeks and get me on the road to mending. Hope to have this all in line in the next week. Think that it will come better from her, and since I have a PCP now, time to let them get it all coordinated.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
. And sometime soon, people will realise why we are hurting ourselves and our future as nation...
hopefully I will be nonthing but dust by then .

That's why there is no meat "meat"! No farms, no pastures, no love or fun. I've got another 30 yrs here. If you go before me, I'll fill you in when I get there.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Chilly cloudy little misty sprinkles today. 41 up to 53..... But WAIT.... we are maybe going to get snow/rain/freezing precip this coming Sat..... Then temps down in the 20's and 30's next week... I feel like I must be on a plane traveling from Fl or Tx to New England like a seesaw. It was mid 70's this past Sunday....

Got the mammogram. I can tell you that the newer machines are a dream. None of this feeling like they are trying to get milk out of a dry spigot..... Really, no real discomfort at all. I was very impressed. Of course, found out that the last one they have on record for me was 2004????? And I haven't had any, anywhere else that I can recall..... can't believe it but I don't doubt it's possible. The bone density was easy too.... she said I did very good and all the films were clear. So they will read them although the "dexa" as they call the bone density one, won't be ready for a week. If there is a problem with the mammogram they will call me, if not then I will get a letter. But at the dr. appt this Thursday coming up, she will have that result if there is a problem. I don't anticipate anything and since I have had fibroid tumors for 30 plus years, I am certainly not going to get worried about anything like that showing up. Now, if the ankle replacement goes smoothly.....

Did leave the info I printed off the Duke "my chart" site, concerning my appts, surgery etc.... and asked the PCP in a note that I left at the office since it is right next door, if she can get it co-ordinated for me to go in the rehab right from the hospital since I now have a PCP and didn't when I first went down there for the consultation appt last July. Might come better from her and she might have some pull on it. Hope she will be able to get it set up, as here they refuse to let a post surgery patient come home here that has had like a hip, knee, shoulder or other serious surgery, if there is not someone living there to help the first few weeks. Since she also sees my son, and knows about his breaking his hip/leg, I played that up a bit since he is not off the crutches yet, and we don't live together, and he will have all the work to do when I am laid up...... that he just isn't in a position to stay with me 24/7 for even a few days.... and that I want to go into rehab to get a good start and that my ins lady said that I am eligible.....

I have to go test a 225 cow herd tomorrow, that tests every 2 or so months. Just want to get it out of the way, and will leave the meters for the farm that does the owner sampler test, on my way home and told him that he can test any time it suits him between then and Monday. I don't even know if I am going to need the meters on Monday yet. But that will save me a trip, and he can fit it in when it suits his schedule the next couple of days. One less farm on the list to worry about. Have one planned for the week of the 27th, one for feb 3-4 (a 2x herd), and 5 more to get in, in between now and the end of the month. It will work or they won't get done.

Michael is going to get some cows in at the barn with Caleb tomorrow, get the steers and a couple of heifers into the lot where they are being fed silage, get the 4 or 5 cows that have calves worked and out with the others, get the few that need preg checks sorted out. Then the bull needs to go out with the ones up in the back ; he can go out with these 4 or 5 that have calves when he puts them out. I told him I can't help because I have to go test. He said they can do it.... OKAY. They are also going to take the portable pen panels up to the farm where the steers are and get that pen set up. Then talk to the guy where several of our cattle are, from when the bulls were fighting and tore down the fence between us, and see what is what. There are at least 6-10 of our steer calves over there,and a couple of cows, and there are at least 4 of his bull calves over on us, plus a couple of his cows and one big charl cross heifer. Want to get our steer calves home, so they can get a week or two of silage, get weaned, so that they can get sold if we ship some in the next couple of weeks. The ones that are over on him, some of their momma's are on us, so they are weaned, but they aren't getting much in the way of feed so they aren't benefiting being over there. Don't want to keep his big bull calves. They are a simmental cross, really rough looking, and bull calves to boot. LUCKILY we have no heifer calves at this pasture except one, and she is twin to a bull, so she would not get accidentally bred by these bull calves. A couple of them weigh in the 600 plus lb. range, so could conceivably breed a heifer. Hopefully all the cows are bred to our bulls earlier.

Since the new owners have taken over the stockyard, there have been alot of little glitches. They are very disorganized in the back as they bring cattle up to be sold and don't post the pens as they are coming up to be sold. We talked to the auctioneer after the bred cow sale this evening..... been friends with him for years, and he said they are going to start having a graded sale once a month here at this yard, which will be good for our "colored" cattle, and not have to go all the way to Harrisonburg. (twice as far). Talked about the help in the back and little things that I have heard people say about the confusion that they have. He is really trying to help them get it going and has auctioneered for years at several different sales so knows how things work and the best way to make it go smooth. We are going to try to support him, and them as much as we can. Don't want to see this yard close.
There is alot of "politics" that goes on behind the scenes at these places..... it never hurts to "help out" in little ways, and then they will remember in the future. Grease the wheels a little. He, and a buyer that has several accounts he buys for, both were telling us to get these 4-5 wt steers sold as soon as possible as they are hearing that the prices will be dropping as people start to bring stuff in. So many held calves over from last fall due to the lower prices, and once they start to ship them, and the sales get "flooded" there will be a drop in prices. They both said that there is a guy buying now, that buys about 4-5,000 head to put out on feed, and he is paying good for good calves. He ought to be filled up by mid-feb..... so we need to try to cash in on that. He buys at 3 different yards and started buying in Dec.. Steers only so that is okay, but that means that we have to get these steers off pasture, and the ones that are on the other guy caught up too.

Time to get stuff together for tomorrow, and then get some sleep. Have to leave here by 10 the latest, stop at the barn to leave the clipboard and list of what cows I know are in this field and the ones I don't know, stop at a farm on the way to drop off some info, then get to this farm by noon. Plus I have to get everything loaded in the truck in the morning....

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is really nice of the auctioneer to tell you to bring the steer calves in now. Helping others circles around and helps you. It is good of you to support the new owners, even in their chaos, as they get themselves sorted out. Many would be short sighted and take their business elsewhere, then wonder what happened later, when the place closed down due to not enough cattle to sell.

I hope the rehab and surgery falls into place like you want it to. There is no reason for it not to, except for falling down on the part of the doctors who order such things. Can you post from your phone so you can keep us updated?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thursday 1-16-20. It was nice yesterday, sun and up to mid 60's . Today was sunny, but the wind was blowing like the dickens. I mean up to 40 + mph winds. I went for my followup with the PCP about the results of the neurology dr. Also the mammogram was fine, said she likes to see one every year or 2..... since it was 2004 since the last one, I am not in any rush for another.... the bone density was pretty good, arm/wrist fine, spine very good ; hip and femur not as strong. Part of that I think is because I don't use the hip and leg as much due to the getting around pain. Want me to go on Vit D and calcium.... which I will worry about once I do the ankle since they don't want you to be taking any medications, vitamins or anything, for at least 48 hours before surgery. And my blood pressure was up a bit, but then I had just been listening to the new BS that our governor has decided about...she says I really need to consider going on bp medicine. Said after I get my replacement, that we can discuss it. NOT HAPPENING. She is going to call them down there to push for me to go into a rehab after the surgery, she agrees that it would be better for me, that they can start the rehab even if I am totally not weight bearing, and she agrees that my son is not in a position to take care of me due to his recent accident and broken femur. So that is good. If I can start getting around, I think the blood pressure will get better as I hope that the weight will come off a bit too. I won't be as active as I could be due to the knees, but ought to be better than it is now. So I will keep my own counsel on the bp medicine and see if I can't get it down a little. Of course, it will help if I don't go into the dr office all P.O. hearing about the new stunt the gov pulled.

Considering the really "off in left field" gov.... has declared A state of "emergency " so that no one can carry even outside the buildings at the "rally" on Monday. Goes into effect on Friday through Tuesday. Talk about a paranoid A$$hole...... They are looking for someone to do something stupid. And now ANTIFA is going to be there .... this is going to be a powder keg and it will turn out to be something like what happened to that kid that was falsely accused of causing that trouble with the Indian and then when the real news came out it turns out that he was innocent and that there were both the black Islamist group and the Indian that were causing the problems. He just got awarded a settlement, there were only a few apologies to him, and they are now suing other news organizations for the unfair reporting with no facts. I hope they get enough to put some of these biased news organizations out of business. God Bless that kid for keeping his mouth shut and being mature enough to not react and keeping his cool. Anyone interested in seeing what we are dealing with, VCDL has a website. They are the ones that have organized this peaceful show by the voters and lawful gun owning citizens. They wanted as many gun owners as possible to present their arguments against these proposed laws. There are now 90 of the 95 counties in Va that have declared to be 2nd amendment sanctuaries, as well as several towns and cities. There was a real problem in Harrisonburg with the city manager telling a gun supporter that it was "my town" and it would not be passed. Regardless of the fact that the speaker was also a taxpayer in the city. He started to say that I am also a taxpayer and it is my city too and she told him, no he had no say it was her town and her rules. You've got JMU and Eastern Mennonite colleges there and their ridiculous liberal teachings now. One of my farmers daughter left JMU due to the totally liberal left thinking and teaching there.
@Bruce, I know you thought that I was getting a little ahead of myself with the proposed gun bills, but this is so much more than I ever thought it would be.... They are now saying more than 50,000 are expected.

But this is going to be a mess here. It is already been touted on Rush Limbaugh, and Sean Hannity and Glen Beck shows today over what the gov has done. Said that this is going to be the precedent, that this is the litmus test for these crazy leftist Democrats going so totally against what the majority of the people want.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wind is still blowing like a banshee, but is supposed to slow down tonight. Temps down tomorrow about 10-15 degrees from today. Snow/sleet/rain for Saturday.... anywhere from 1-2 inches to 6 inches according to who you listen to. What a mess. But I heard that there was more snow today up in the Vt, NH areas and more coming at the top end of this stuff we are going to get. We are looking at temps in the teens at night starting over the weekend. Hope it will go back up in another week to more normal of 20's and 40's.