Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Also, just wanted to clarify, mostly to @Senile_Texas_Aggie ; Lexington Va is much closer to us than Roanoke, Va. But the weather channel reports for Lexington are often less accurate than the actual Roanoke WDBJ7 forecast. If you put in Raphine, Va 24472, that is about 5 miles from me and right at the exit 205 off i-81. Still sometimes the forecasts out of Roanoke seem to hit more on actual. But this time, we were actually more like what the Harrisonburg, Va channel 3 was saying. Crazy that we are so right in the middle and sometimes one is more right then the next time the other is.....

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
So far I have only rain -- plenty of it!!! Mostly last night. I awoke to huge, deep puddles in every shallow there was. And a lot of cold wind. Wasn't freezing temps, thankfully. So full troughs are open. :clap Like you, I double hayed so there was no rush this morning and prepped for more than rain.

Stay in. Stay warm. Relax. I'm cooking a nice pot of roast beef & veggies. :D =D

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Also, just wanted to clarify, mostly to @Senile_Texas_Aggie ; Lexington Va is much closer to us than Roanoke, Va. But the weather channel reports for Lexington are often less accurate than the actual Roanoke WDBJ7 forecast. If you put in Raphine, Va 24472, that is about 5 miles from me and right at the exit 205 off i-81. Still sometimes the forecasts out of Roanoke seem to hit more on actual. But this time, we were actually more like what the Harrisonburg, Va channel 3 was saying. Crazy that we are so right in the middle and sometimes one is more right then the next time the other is.....

That's interesting.. Are there geographical differences in the terrain that may explain why your locality is different weather wise from what one forecaster says it should be?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's interesting.. Are there geographical differences in the terrain that may explain why your locality is different weather wise from what one forecaster says it should be?
@greybeard ; the only geographical differences that I know is that we are at about the highest elevation here in Rockbridge county so that may account for some of it.. Roanoke has some pretty hilly/high elevations too... but mostly I think it is that the "weather" channel just doesn't get done by locals that have "lived it" as the ones at that particular TV station. Plus, we are in a bit of a "valley" where the moisture will often go right around up one side of the ridge, or the other. We are about 5-6 miles from the Blue Ridge parkway, and the storms will often follow that ridge and we will get less rain during the summer, but in the winter we seem to get as much or more here. It is just weird... I am about 10 miles from the parkway; on the west side of I-81 and I actually live "down the hill " from my son who is right at the top of the ridge 5 miles from the parkway and only a mile from the interstate. He is usually 5-10 degrees colder than me and often gets more wind and snow. The snow drifts quite a bit on his road, and the road down the hill to me.
Since we are in the "fringe area" of both the Roanoke and Harrisonburg areas, about in the middle, it seems that the forecasts are more geared to their more immediate areas. Lexington has too many "left wing nutcases" so all that hot air BS must change the weather there...LOL:lol::duc:duc:barnie

Just as an aside, do you all remember the incident with the Red Hen restaurant, in Lexington, when they refused to serve Sara Saunders and her husband and their friends? All because the staff did not like that they were "representatives" of the "current" presidential administration? That happened in Lexington, Va. The staff, made up of several people of "alternative lifestyles" like LBGYT or what ever group they are? ; said they were uncomfortable because of the current administrations policies.... Ought to have had their a$$e$ whooped. It has hurt the restaurants' business terribly, and I for one am glad. If they had gone in there spouting stuff it would have been one thing, they had just gone in for dinner, and a private dinner party should be able to talk amongst themselves about whatever they want. That is just as prejudicial as the ones feeling they were being judged. :smack:rant:ep:ep

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Forecast looks like some showers next Sat or so but no snow
Snow in the forecast starting Thursday night into Friday, less then an inch. Then snow again Friday, little accumulation. Potential winter storm Saturday night into Sunday. We'll see.
weather.jpg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks like there will be some nasty stuff coming. California is getting hit with the rain, and some potential serious snow in the Sierra Nevadas. Mudslides in Ca and road closures and all that will be working it's way east. Northern states will be getting some real ARTIC air and potential for some serious snow up in New England. So the NE members are going to get some serious winter and bitter cold it looks. We are in the fringe area here. We get some of the colder stuff due to the mountains. We won't be shipping any cattle again this Friday due to the forecast. Have someone interested in 10-15 heifers, hope they come look at and decide to take them. Will still have 20+ to sell after that. But trying to get ready for this next cold blast. Testing Wed morning and Thursday afternoon and then home to stay for a few days again. Next week is iffy now, with the forecast. The farmers have enough to do when fighting the cold and snow, and I see no reason to add to their aggravation.
Plus I don't want to be out on the roads when the crews are trying to get them opened and cleared. I am NOT essential.... and have no intention to wind up in a ditch at best or smashed to bits at worst.