Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We expect some wind/breeze here as we are close to the mountains. But there has been more than normal of the gusty kind. Today was cloudy, but it was a "bright" cloudy. A little sun peeked through but not much. Temps hit 53 but it started to really get chillier and damp feeling late this afternoon.
Spent the day at the cow/calf conference. Alot of people. Heard alot of talk about the trouble getting cows bred, poor condition, all the things we have been experiencing. Doesn't help get them bred, but still nice to know that we are definitely not in the minority. Conference was good, meal was okay, bbq sand, coleslaw, mac & cheese and pie or pound cake. I didn't do the mac and cheese, had the pound cake... Learned a few things. Talked to the one vet for a few minutes afterwards. He thinks we need to add energy to the ration, and I have been thinking that too. So will look for some ground corn and possibly distillers grain from the local brewery. That will up the energy, and the dist grain will add some protein. Top dress the ones getting silage, and possibly boost the ones out to pastures too.

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey....... drumroll...... I am OFFICIALLY an old person!!!!!! :old:old:old I got my first SS check deposited in my account. :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate Sure was a nice surprise.:yesss::yesss::yesss: Now that will help with the possible future mortgage... if I do decide to buy something. :highfive::bunny:bunny:jumpy:bunny:jumpy

Since my subaru is ready to get finally, that will definitely take the strain off the bank account paying for it. Was going to go get it maybe tomorrow, but think that it will wait another day or two.
After paying for the 2 new MUD & SNOW tires for the 4wd, it was going to be a little tight til the next paycheck. But this will definitely help that. I can get all my bills paid and still be in good shape for the first of the month bills coming. I have already made up my mind that I am going to try to not use it, or to save at least half or more, while I am still working, as it is "found money" that I would have been managing without before. There are a few things I would like to pick up, get ahead on.... but it will give me some "mad money" if I need it.
Like a nice cushion or nest egg....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, the SS check may have a place to go already. One of my farmers called. He has been milking several jerseys for a guy for a few years, raising up his heifers etc. That person has decided he wants to get completely out of them now, his kids are grown and no need to keep any for show calves, and he has moved on from the dairy business. They are going to be going to a Livestock Market that has a monthly dairy cow sale next Wednesday. These are some nice young cows with good udders. The industry being what it is they will probably go for next to nothing. A couple are bred. I am going to go because I can't stand the thought of them going for slaughter. I am hoping that there will be some interest in the ones in production, but there is one that is dry and a couple of heifers. I don't need any more right now, and would have a hard time getting one to take calves I'm sure, since they are used to being milked in a parlor by machine, but the dry one and the heifers are possibilities for future nurse cows. I have tried to spread the word a bit since he called me, trying to make sure that there might be enough interest by someone so that they will go home to a dairy to be milked. I lost my oldest cow this past fall, and my old guernsey, and have one jersey that is only a 2 teat cow, and a witch when it comes to taking calves, that is going after this calf gets weaned. She might be hamburger if the cull cow prices don't get any better. But that does give me a little leeway as far as numbers go and I am not breeding the ones I have until this coming summer for spring calves next year.
Still it is sad to see some really decent little cows get "**** canned" especially since the prices are so off. We'll see. I will definitely go to the sale just to watch at least.

Latest posts