Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just an update. Got the meters set up at the other farm, ready to go for this afternoon.
Decided to go to town to the tax dept and see what was what. MISTAKE.... democrat primary elections today, so everyone in the county building for voting... so I went to the bank since I hadn't heard back from the loan officer. She was in her office, and seems like she did get the message and was working on it. Mistake goes back to the lawyers' office, when they drew up the deed....listed BOTH numbers of the 2 plats after the piece with the house was surveyed off....mtg company requested tax bill on plat # x which is the first number on the deed.... house plat is #xx....so they got a copy of the plat that has the remaining 34+ acres that the owners have with the Christmas tree farm.
So my loan officer "lady" , is working on it. I said I have no intention to pay any penalty.... and still may have to pay it if the mtg co does not get it straightened out by the 7th.... but she will keep me apprised of the situation... I will do it on line, with a cc... and then she said that the mtg co would cut me a check to reimburse me....
She said to me, in 99.9% of the cases, this goes along smoothly, and they request a copy of the tax bill and then pay it. If the former owner hadn't gone in to pay, and then saw on the tax bill that it says a "copy has been sent to xyz mtg company lienholder".... I would have never known that the taxes weren't paid for the house. So I mentioned to her that I am walking Murphy's law.... and that yep, if it is going to get screwed up, it will happen to me... and that this is another reason that I want to pay it myself and not through the escrow account....same as the insurance on the house.....I want to pay it myself with proof that I paid it. I reminded her that she said that after a year I could ask to have it changed and not to be done through escrow.... and she asked when that comes and I said I made my first payment in Oct.... We will see.
So it is being worked on... and I promised her that I would check my e-mail as she said that she will e-mail me what she finds out and what the status is.....

I finally got home around 12... wasted morning... well, not really, but definitely NOT the way I needed to spend my day. I had thought to go down to the house and see about getting some stuff. Now, I am going to get the samples all packed and get the stuff off the truck that is still on it.... and maybe lay down for an hour since I feel really beat. Not going down the hill.... tomorrow, I will get home from testing and get those samples packed, and then go down the hill for a bit.
My legs/knees hurt alot today.... yesterday was tough and then only got about 4 hours last night before getting up to go to test....
Just ate a bowl of green beans and drank a glass of chocolate milk.... samples are next then I am going to lay down.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree making sure that someone else pays your taxes and mortgage is the pits. Much better to do it yourself so you know it is done. So aggravating. If the mtg. company reimburses you they should just return it to your impound account. Otherwise you will have to come up with the $414 yourself. Lucky you are in Virginia, here nobody pays property taxes in the hundreds - it is always in the thousands!

At least you found out before the 7th of June.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m glad the loan officer is trying to get it straightened out. At least you can walk into a building and personally talk to someone. We financed our place, intending to pay it off after we sold our old house. It was a nightmare. First of all, it was a HUD repo, 45 days to close. First guy let our paperwork lay on his desk and didn’t respond to emails or calls. I finally got hold of his boss, by that time I was frantic and not real nice. Then we got shifted to an office in New Jersey, that office talked to an office in California. The time difference just made it more screwy. Horrible experience. Had to file 15 day extensions THREE TIMES. Can only file extensions 3 times, each one cost $300. Closed on the last day of the last extension.

NOW see how lucky you are?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know that I really didn't have that bad of a deal.... I could not do what you did @Baymule ...

Got an email from my mtg lady.... she enclosed a copy of the tax bill that she faxed to the mtg co., a with an accompanying note about the correct tax plat number or whatever it is... and everything she sent to the lawyer to get the deed straightened out. But she suggested that I go on and pay it and then they will reimburse me. Just to make sure it is not late.... due 6/7 which is Monday. So I will do it on a cc, which they better accept..... because I have just paid all the 1st of the month bills and payday isn't until 11th....I was thinking that they could leave it in the escrow account... BUT.... if I can get this changed after my year is up and get it all out of any escrow accounts and make my own payments, then I don't want any extra sitting in the escrow account. But she was real good about getting on it for me....

The "owners" that I bought it from and whose taxes got paid by accident, came down and gave me a check for the $120.62 cents that was the taxes on the 34 acres... ag use taxes. I called them to tell them what had actually happened... and that we could get together on it in a few days, that I wasn't worried about it, but they wanted to get it straight right now....Whatever.

I just need to go on the website and make sure that I can pay it with a cc.... tomorrow... I am too tired and hurt too much to try to deal with it tonight....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I did get all the samples finally packed and dropped off for UPS on my way to go test. Never got a nap or anything... took longer than I thought and I was probably moving slower than normal too.
Tested and the one good thing is they are down in cow numbers a bit... he sold some to another dairy, and dried off a few so are down at 100 rather than 120... it makes a difference.
Got to get the bottles in the trays to take in the morning for the samples.

Going to get a shower and stretch out and get a longer night's sleep than last night.... Don't have to get up 'til 4:30 since I don't have to be there til 5:30 and it is only 15 min away....sure beats the less than 4 hours last night.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm thinking the tax office won't refund difference between amount received and due on wrong account. Either will keep all OR refund all. So check neighbors gave you for $120 isn't making it happen...tax people want their $$. Sounds like attorney made mistake with info to MTG co. It happens. Now, you will get a LTR that escrow is short...😁. Ahhhhhh.....more $$. At least the bank is on it!! Don't cash their check. You'll be handing it back so they can pay their bill....or They will owe the entire amount to you. Messy🙃

I had an attorney office who failed to send tax $ held from closing. When I got that bill I got it straight and they pd the penalty....no issue, just an apology. Simple error, not like yours. Lucky you!

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The mtg/bank loan officer said that the easiest way to handle it is for the "owners" to just pay me the amount that the mtg company paid for "their taxes".... so I am sitting on it for now. The tax office will not refund the money back into the escrow account. So the owner/neighbor's taxes are paid.... and he paid me back since "I paid them"..... Loan officer, has said for me to pay the taxes out of pocket... yeah, money grows on trees when you have already put it away for them to pay it....and you have already paid all your 1st of the month bills.... and then the mtg company will send me a check.... I think I am going to tell them to just keep it in escrow for now.... as a "cushion".... But I will wait to see if anything changes between now and Monday....
If the mtg company goes on and pays the right tax bill, I might have to increase the amount of next months payment to add back to the escrow account. So the $120.62 check will cover that.... But for now I am going to just hold on to the check until it gets sorted out.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It is noontime Friday. I got up and tested this morning, everything went okay. Went to the owners house and did the computer work and all that.... went back to the barn, since the wash cycle had run and the meters were done. Took all them down out of the parlor and came to the house. Brought samples in the house, took all the meters and hoses out of the car and put in the carport where I keep them. Checked the rain gauge, and sometime overnight we got some rain... I must've slept through it.... Dumped 6/10ths inch because it looked like the skies might clear....

It has been cloudy and some sun off and on. Got a few drops and then halfway sun. All of a sudden about 10-15 minutes ago, it got dark, and it just started raining in a real hard downpour type shower. I really thought that the clouds were going to keep passing... NOPE we are getting a real good rain shower....Not going to complain... we can use it. I just checked the forecast a few minutes ago, and it was supposed to become partly cloudy and clearing off...
WHOOPS...... they missed that one.

Deb, where I was taking care of the horse, called while I was testing and wants to go out to eat so we are going to go this evening... Red Lobster.... she said she had a taste for some seafood and that is about the best as you get this far inland.... and I like those cheddar bay biscuits.....

I was thinking to go down the hill to get some stuff in a little bit. I will get the samples dropped off and then go down there. My knees ache, so it will not be a marathon type trip but could get something done. Then come home and take a shower and wash all the barn off from this morning, and then go. DS asked if I was going towards town as some parts are in so I will go by and pick them up on the way.... he will call and have them leave them outside since they close before we go to town... we are going early though, to try to get ahead of any crowds....

Hope that tomorrow I will be feeling a little less sore and achey.... I am pretty sure I have a farm for Sunday... got to check my calendar. Plus one farm that had not called or texted me back did get back to me after another text yesterday.... they want next Saturday..... it's 250+ cows, and takes a long time since it is a double 6 parlor... alot of up and down back and forth... UGH.....
Got a couple more to see about scheduling....will try to spread them a bit with at least a day in between....

Well, time to get the samples packed....Rain stopped.... and it never showed up on the radar map.... OH WELL....
good for the peach trees and all. I did just dump a 2 gal bucket on the little piece of the rose bush.... it is putting out more leaves so I think that it is rooting good....I am so glad. The peonies that I had in the 2 big containers from the other house are now blooming. They are an old variety... a double pink... and they are just starting to open. The ones I bought a few weeks ago, are looking good...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Go have a good dinner at Red Lobster with Deb. It will be an enjoyable evening for you both.

I’m so glad you are getting rain! You sure need it. It’s supposed to be raining all week here, but it’s hit and miss. We left this morning in the rain to go get feed, thinking we might get a weeks worth in the back seat until maybe better weather next week. But it cleared out, we got some sprinkles coming back, but got our full order for the month.