Farmerjan's journal - Weather

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Could Jan seal her cabinets with Kilz, polyurethane or something else to get rid of the mouse smell?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not sure. If the urine has permeated the wood (or press board) maybe not. It might have gotten into the floorboards too. Worth a try though and certainly cheaper than new cabinets. Except Jan doesn't like her cabinet arrangement anyway so . . . .

Bay - your cabinets are in good condition. With so much to do, I would wait to paint them for another couple years. Eventually you can paint or refinish them. Save your money and time for fence and that barn. ;)

DH saw on the internet that we are in for a really hard winter with lots of snow and low temps this year. Anyone else hear about that?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Ridgetop ... thank you for all the instructions... but understand that is all way over my head. I HATE doing carpentry work of any kind. JUST do not want any part of it. SORRY... sounds stupid I guess... but I hate it. Fencing, gardening, inside sewing and things... but not carpentry. I miss my mom so much because she was the carpenter in the family. Some of this extreme dislike might also be, because my ex was a carpenter, and he was impossible to ever please and I got to hate being around him with any project.......
If you were more available,,,, like closer.... I would pay you to do it....

I got some stuff to spray in there that is supposed to get rid of urine and pet odors. Going to try it. Then probably paint the "floors" of the lower cabinets that are going to stay there. See if that helps to get rid of the smell. I am going to see about doing something with the stupid corner double sinks (that are too small for much of anything.... ). But I would be redoing whatever within the spaces that they exist now. Just aggravated with it all. I would NOT replace the upper cabinets if I do the lower. Don't particularly care if they all "match".... and with the price of things right now... not going to spend that sort of money. Like @Baymule ... fences and things outside need doing more than the cabinets.

Tested and got home. Ate a sandwich. Samples in the house ready to pack. I went out and got the laundry off the line from yesterday as it is already getting cloudy out there. Forecast is for showers/storms later and then 30-60% rain for the next 7-10 days... o_O:thTotally abnormal for here.... Especially since none of it is "hurricane caused " rain.....

I am going to get the samples packed and then head for the pasture to do the bush hogging. Might get home and get some lawn mowing done if it doesn't start raining...
DS is wanting to ship those steers tomorrow... so he will be getting them in this afternoon I guess. I will probably have to go up there to help, sort, or give my opinion. Plus to make sure he gets the couple off my cows that are up in the back lot behind the barn. I want them gone too. Not pushing him to sell any heifers this trip.... want to hold on to them for a bit... Whatever he does not take (heifers I guess) have got to be weaned anyway... cows are due starting the end of Sept.....

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I HATE doing carpentry work of any kind. JUST do not want any part of it.
Installing cabinets isn't carpentry, it is general handyman work so you can do it ;)

If you want to buy new cabinets I'm pretty sure places like Lowes & Home Depot and definitely kitchen/bath 'specialty' shops have free design services. You work with them to decide what you want, they put the list of cabinets together and order them.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Friday morning. Been an interesting 24 hours.

I got the samples packed and dropped off yesterday. Got a can of fuel to put in the tractor, took Hydraulic fluid to add... it has a leak in a line(hose) that he has to replace. Skies went from blue and hot/humid... to a dark cloud passing.... Got the bush hogging done that I needed to do. Only took a little over an hour... DS is going to do one little field that he has to cross a small creek and said for me to not go over there... he can get it stuck if it comes to that. He has to do that, then take this tractor and bush hog over to another pasture that we lease from this same owner... since the thistles just got sprayed, we had to wait for them to die back so the spray was absorbed through the leaves and stems down to the roots. So he will do bush hogging there next week. It is pretty steep and some rock too... I don't normally do any there.

Came back and he was working with the skid loader on the flat area he wants to put the concrete pad for the future bunks for the corn silage. He wants to stop with the bags and the mud and all... put the silage on a pad and pack it and cover with some plastic... but no mud under foot and not having to clean up the plastic and all in the spring. He was going to go up and see about getting the cows/calves down out of the field in a little while. So, I came home and got on the mower. I got alot of the lawn mowed... It actually did pretty good. So, I was working around the big pile of wood chips... have to go forward and back up a couple places. Did it a couple times. Then went to do it again... and the lever that goes into drive/neutral/back was sticking. I thought I got it out, and all of a sudden my foot slipped and it went forward... up the pile and flipped over.
NO, I didn't get hurt..... but it was fast. It came straight over and then went to the side and I just wound up on the ground next to it. Broke the little piece on my glasses that sits on your nose on one side. Now I HAVE to get new glasses....
Found out I could kneel on the one knee on the "softer ground"... hurt but was possible...
Got the mower flipped back over... some oil spilled out so I decided that I needed to let it sit, to check it. DS called right then, and wanted me at the farm to call the cows as he was coming down out of the field with them following... to make sure they came to the barn... So I just got in the car, went up and they were just coming down through the field, and to the gate to the lane that we often run them down to go from the barn, out to pasture up there... so they knew when they heard me calling, that they were coming to the barn for feed... and came right on down the lane. Even the 6 bought heifers and their calves ( the 3-in-ones we bought at that sale that we weren't planning on buying) came right down with ours that know the routine. Great.....
Got them all in the barn, got in a couple other calves there, and then after sorting off the 6 and their calves, and a couple that we put up there that had no calves that were pregnant, then got in the 2 cows with the big calves of mine from out in the back. Did not get in one that I wanted but the calf is smaller... and got in 2 others that we kicked back out because we didn't need them. The bred heifer of mine is still totally insane, so she is still going to the bred cow sale next week....along with a couple of cull cows.

DS couldn't get in one steer out of the other field last night that he wanted to sell. But they were not going to get them all riled up more so left it. So then he put a small roll of hay in the lot and a 1/2 roll in the barn and let the cows and calves in the lot last night. They had water and the hay.
We agreed to meet back there this morning at 4:30... to sort the calves off the cows to load. I got there at 4:15 and everyone was quiet which was great... He got there and we got all of them in the barn... then opened the other side and that crazy steer came in with a couple heifers that were out there, came in for feed.... one other crazy heifer out there, and she ran past him back out, but he got the steer so that was PERFECT. That steer will run you down if he feels trapped in the barn... total nut case.
Sorted the cows out of the calves and kicked them out in the small field with the ones from last night. Put all the steer calves in together. The nut case isn't quite as bad in a group. So we made sure there were no heifers in there by accident, and loaded 17 on the one trailer and 10 on the other trailer and we went to town. Unloaded them and they sorted them into a couple groups. 10 weighed 412 and 10 weighed right at 500, a big charolais steer weighed about 600 and the nutcase weighed 560...( put him separate)... and a red steer and a charolais went together that weighed about 530 and 3 more bigger black steers weighed around 650...... Calves looked good.... 5 are mine... 2 in each group of 10 and the char steer that they put with the red calf... which was okay as they often pair reds and charl calves....
Prices are looking good, let's hope that they do good today. After what the ones brought at the specialty sale a week ago, and what prices were reported this past Monday... I hope the trend continues.
Got back home about 7:30.... will go back to the sale later to watch. I am going to leave early and go see about new glasses.... run a few other errands... while in town. Eat a meal at the stockyard's lunchroom....
I am going to go out and check the oil levels in the mower... add some if needed... maybe try to start it and see if it will run. Can't believe I did that.... since it was running better than I thought, with the way DS had talked, I really want to try to keep it going for a bit. I am going to look at some while I am out today too. And go to the Yanmar dealer to look at their small tractors...

Gas has come down here to 3.63.... diesel went down to 4.99 yesterday here for the on road; at the station. That is still 1.50 / gal more for gas and 2.00/gal more for diesel...than before all this insanity started.... but a break we will take.
Told them that if they could not get the pieces off the explorer, that I needed them to go on and get the whole new system and get it done. I want it ready to go as soon as I get the title from DMV whether they approve the correction or they don't. I want it sold....

Seems like the jobs numbers are good... but I am not impressed. I am still thinking that we are going to see a crash.... HOPE I am wrong... but......
Time to get out and get some things done....

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
NO, I didn't get hurt..... but it was fast. It came straight over and then went to the side and I just wound up on the ground next to it. Broke the little piece on my glasses that sits on your nose on one side. Now I HAVE to get new glasses....
That's very scary stuff! Really glad you're ok.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Ridgetop ... thank you for all the instructions... but understand that is all way over my head. I HATE doing carpentry work of any kind. JUST do not want any part of it. SORRY... sounds stupid I guess... but I hate it.

If you were more available,,,, like closer.... I would pay you to do it....
PAY?! What is that? Your kitchen redo sounds more like a road trip with built in fun activities!!! :lol: I told DH we were like those people you see standing by the road with signs "WORK FOR FOOD"! Don't tell DH but we will even sleep on inflatable mattresses to help our friends. (I can't let him read this post. :hide Not after the time he fell off the air mattress at Baymule's. Thought it was an earthquake. LOL)

Seriously I love doing this type of work. My favorite part is doing it for next to nothing! With paint you can make everything look original without demolishing anything. Well except your corner sink cabinet. However, even that sink relocation can be accomplished without ripping out those cabinets. You simply remove the counter tops, remove the sink, and repurpose a cabinet (30" wide preferably) on one side of the existing sink cabinet by removing the shelves inside that cabinet. Then move the plumbing just a foot or so over and PRESTO! a new sink in a new location. You want to stay as close to the existing sink as possible since moving plumbing is not that much fun. Then the corner cabinet becomes more storage. Just don't take out ant drawer cabinets since they are expensive to replace and kitchens never have enough drawers anyway.

Any woman that can load and preg check cows πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„, wrangle bulls πŸ‚πŸ‚πŸ‚ tedd, rake, and bale hay 🚜, garden and can πŸ‘πŸπŸπŸ“πŸŒ± πŸ…πŸ₯’, raise, slaughter and dress out poultry πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€πŸ”πŸ”πŸ”πŸ“ trap and shoot chicken killers πŸ¦‰πŸ¦πŸ¦¨πŸ¦‘, and move house alone with 2 really bad knees πŸ‘©β€πŸ¦½, then go through surgery and be back on her feet πŸ‹οΈβ€β™€οΈ milk testing CAN DO ANYTHING!

Even survive a serious lawn mower accident that might have killed or put you in the hospital! :epπŸ‘“!!! :fl:hugs

There should be some sort of triumphant music here 🎼🎼🎼🎼but I don't know how to add it to this post. You are my hero! :bowπŸ‘πŸ‹οΈβ€β™€οΈ

First get the acreage fenced in for your calves and everything like that done for your money making business. The inside work can wait for bad weather. Let me know when you are ready to tackle the sink and I will bring my tools! :clap

It took me a lot of time to find appropriate emojis so hopefully they are appreciated! :hugs I am exhausted now - gotta have coffee.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
She’s not kidding! Driving clear across the country to do kitchen cabinets and move a sink for a BYH friend is right up her alley. If you have a REAL bed for them to sleep in, that’s even better. Her DH rolling out of the air mattress and going WHOMP on the floor was funny. In all fairness, I slept in a small recliner and THOUGHT I was giving them the better accommodations. Hahaha! I felt bad about that, now I insist they take my king size adjustable bed (2 extra long twins) with massage. I sleep in a bunk bed. Visions of them rolling off the top bunk are not pretty! Besides, they’d probably get hurt and I wouldn’t get any work out of them! LOL

Latest posts