Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thursday eve... 44 this morning, up to 65 today but as the afternoon was waning, the temp was dropping fast. Forecast if for it to drop to the mid-low 30's....

I didn't take a bottle to the calf yesterday... A bunch of things going on. DS called and said he had a cow that calved right after Christmas and the calf never seemed "right"... and it died... He had treated it for scoury type manure and for possible pneumonia... so he was going to bring her to the barn..... he thought maybe she might want to take the calf or even co-mother it because she had a pretty decent udder... and the other cow that is now mothering the calf, is not making much for milk. He and GF had gotten into words the night before(tues) when I went to do the cow and calf, about the calf sick out in the field and that there were 2 others that she said didn't look good... so she left and he came to the barn and asked what he ought to give them... and I made up 3 syringes with vitamin-B for appetite .....2 different antibiotics... one gram pos and one gram neg to try to hit their mopey symptoms... raspy.... and told him to give each one 1/2 of each syringe....

Turns out he could not catch the one calf... so he can't be too sick... but the other one he got the shots into... and the "first calf" had died...
So, yesterday after work, he got the cow of the dead calf to follow him to the barn with a bucket... and he was hoping that if she would tolerate the calf we could switch it over from the other cow to her since she had more milk. Sometimes that works...

She was interested in the feed but would not let the calf on her at all... did not put them in the chute as it was getting late. Watched her for a few minutes and he had to go feed at another place....the power steering pump went out on the one truck so he was working on getting the new parts on the other truck since the door was apart as the electric window wasn't working and it is all tied up with the broken door handle.... the lock is electric.... I finished up with them so he could go and he had to just get the whole assembly since it was only $10 more than just a plain cable... so he was tied up with that and then getting in the cow in....

Also, he decided he wanted the vet to come on Monday... he is going to ask someone to help him since I have that annual eye appt....so I had called them back and they still had the "time slot" so that is scheduled... I am going to go to the eye dr early... maybe they can get me in sooner....but I won't be much help I don't think... still, maybe.... but he knows that it is unlikely I will be able to do anything. I need to get the cows in up at the nurse cow pasture that I want to get preg checked... there are 5, I think... the 3 with calves that are ready to wean, 2 that have not calved yet... the longhorn will not get moved since we have nowhere that her horns will fit through... even turning her head sideways it is doubtful she can get in the head chute... I will pull her calf off and wean it with the ones we are weaning and keeping at doug's.... and she will just calve again at the nurse cow pasture if she is bred... if not, she will stay there until I decide what to do with her... she is an awful good LG"C"(cow).... The preg ones will go with the ones that are checked preg (coming home from the pasture this weekend with bigger calves on them) and they will calve in the spring... they need a break from their calves as they could be due as early as the latter part of Feb........ THE 2 THAT HAVE NOT CALVED YET... IF THEY ARE BRED THEY WILL GO WITH THEM TOO... if any of them are open, they will get sold. Except my nurse cow as her calves were only about 6-7 weeks when the bull left there... and milking hard with 3 calves on her... if she is open, she will go back with a bull for another chance and the calves will stay weaned... she has lost some condition this year with these 3 big calves on her.... and she has been a real good nurse cow, even if a little moody this year....she deserves a little "slack".... So, these 5 cows will all be 6+ months... or open....he was taken out July 4th.....
The rest of the cows from the pasture he is going to move them from.... could be anywhere in # of months being bred.... the bull is still in there since it is a very difficult place to get anything out due to the way the cross fences are... you have to go from field to the next field... no alleys or anything... so the bull has to wait to come out until they are all brought all back down to the first field where we can load them out of....so they get grazed from the first field up through the 5th field and then brought back down... not ideal, but better than them having the whole place at once like it used to be.... Still hoping that they are all 5 months and more pregnant.... guess we will see.

So anyway... this morning I went to my PT appt... and did an evaluation... and we decided that it is probably my last unless I have some more issues... which I agree with... and found out that there is a "wellness center" exercise "room" right down the road from me in the building that they just closed the pharmacy and urgent care center... which was a real loss of the pharmacy as alot of locals used it because it was alot closer for things like refills etc... and they were quite comparable in price and not having to drive 20 miles to a Walmart or Walgreens or somewhere. I had no idea... and we both agree that it would be great for me to use the machines to try to build up my strength in the knees and some "stamina" and such... I had no idea it was there... but I only went in the pharmacy once and the urgent care place once in the several years they were there.... so PT guy said he would come down with me once and show me how to use them and what to do to try to make the most of increasing my strength and all in the knees and ankle plus trying to lose weight... It is like less than 3 miles from my house right there at the truck stop complex of buildings... If I make myself go, I will do better at trying to get some positive benefit from using the machines... and a couple are the type he had me using at the PT place in the beginning. It is a self-use one with a locked door... no one on premises.

I went by the office but the lady was out and will be back in her office in the morning... I will get signed up, pay a membership or whatever... and then talk to my PT guy and set up a time to meet him there to learn what/how to do exercises on what machines to do me the most good. I am actually looking forward to it... although I know how out of shape I am right now....I will take notes and then try to make the m ost of the exercise machines...I am not doing what I need to here at the house... My PT guy said he goes to the gym at the wellness center right down the road from where he lives because he dows not make himself stick to a good routine at home because there is too much to distract him....

Had to do a couple other errands while out, after feeding the 2 cows... the one that has adopted the calf is not letting it near the other cow and she is not wanting it around her... went to the groc store while out... then stopped at the P.O. and got the mail and a check from the annuity that I opted to take on a 5 yr payment schedule from my parents estate... I think the other 3 sibs took a lump sum payment... But I gained a 6% interest increase by doing 5 yearly payments... This is separate from the settling of the estate that is not finished yet... So, went to the closeby bank to put that in so I can pay off some bills... has to be held for 2-3 days... which I can deal with. The other bank I have been with for 30+ years said it would have to be held for 10 days...I was pretty P.O.ed off about that... So, she said I could plan on being able to use it come Monday... which will allow me to make payoff payments and be done with quite a few bills. It will be nice to not have to juggle some things.
I am going to take the Explorer to the ford dealer used car division some time next week probably.... and if they are still willing to give me what they said.... I think I will just sell it. Have had several interested... and then they say it is "too nice" and they are looking for something that they can just "use".... let someone buy it from the ford dealer then.... I would prefer to buy the other truck from my DS to use for "good"... I will get more use out of a truck than the Explorer....and it is older than the explorer so the taxes and the insurance will be less too....

I did go by the co-op and there were no cars in line so got got the oil changed and fluids and all... and had a big old screw in the tire that was going a little soft every 3-5 days... so got that fixed too. And they said if I wasn't hearing any "roar" that the tires were probably fine to run them out and then buy 4 new ones this fall or so when they get down.... Next will be the ranger and the forester....

Called Safelite about the windshield and got a ballpark figure so will go by the glass shop next week when they come back from their Christmas vacation and see what they have to say.
The guy that my mechanic said to go see about the muffler.... had a note on the door that they were closed due to being sick... I will wait for that til next week too.

Went back up to the barn this evening, and took a bottle. The calf was sucking the cow when I got there... and so I fed both the cows some grain and offered the calf the bottle. He took it and drank the whole thing... not crazy like he was starving, but didn't dilly dally around either. I have given the cow 3 shots ... and since she took the calf, I figured his constant nursing would be the best thing to get her to come into her milk. I am going to get her in the chute and check each quarter and make sure they all have actual milk in them.... might have to offer a supplemental bottle once a day.... we will see. The other cow is going to get sold... DS said he didn't know what to do and I said to turn her over, " into a nice steer" that he can buy and then put together in a group and make some money on.... I think he agrees at this point...

So that is where things are. I did get the clothes in the house on Tues aft... and we didn't get enough precip to even measure in the rain gauge.... just the clouds and dampness on Wed...

Today was nice again, sun and a few high clouds. There is a full moon out there... Temps dropped fast as soon as the sun was down.
Brought all the plants in this evening... they got a couple of days of good sun and warmer temps out there... and I soaked them when there wasn't much rain ....

DS didn't talk to boss about getting off a morning, so I have texted Geneva to see what she could do to help me out. Not going to get into it with him... He is having some issues at work again... and they are talking about not honoring the doctor's excuse for the new hard hat the state has... won't let him wear the old style one... but it is good enough for all sub contractors and visitors on VDOT grounds and jobs... so they are trying to "push him out" by the looks of it.
The new one gives him instant... within 5 minutes of putting it on.... headaches to the point of being debilitating like a migraine.... He is going to talk to the lawyer that the friend of his suggested... If they push him out, and it is written in their rule/guide books, that they have to "acommodate" his medical situation... especially since it is a work related situation.... he is talking about suing them... I agree... it could get really interesting... but it is alot of mental stress and no sense in making an issue about testing... he made the comment a week or so ago about the situation... and that he might have to just do some of the testing and let me just pay him cash.... like we do now... so I am just letting things ride right now...

So, I guess that is things pretty much caught up.

Going to bed.....

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like the VDOT is trying to get him to quit, or fire him on a pretext of not following safety rules. He really needs a lawyer. Maybe he can retire on disability and farm full time. Does he get Social Security? He should check into SS disability payments as well. Between his issues from the previous work accident and now the new accident with the mule leaving him with injuries, if he could swing the $$$ it with the disability amounts maybe retiring would be worthwhile. He would be able to devote all his time to hay and cattle, get more rest, feel better and happier.

Such a shame about losing several calves. That is a money loss you didn't need after losing the cow as well. Even rebreeding the cow for next year you lose a year of calves. The terribly cold weather has not been good for farmers.
:hugs

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Ridgetop that is exactly what they are trying to do at VDOT.... and he is NOT going to quit... he will go out on disability if he has to... BUT...., it will get sticky if they push it because they will not be able to restrict his future methods of making any extra money if the disablility is from wearing a SPECIFIC type of hard hat and they will not accommodate his wearing the older type.... because they continue to allow it to be acceptable headgear by subcontractors and visitors to VDOT property... they are contradicting their own rules....
DS is going to be 50... but he would go after SS disability if it comes to that.... as well as the 60% disability from VDOT... insurance is going to be the biggest concern... but that is what they have these type of lawyers for...

I think he would be better off getting out of there... but he only has 7 years to be able to retire at full benefits with no restrictions for other work.... will meet the "85" years thing.... age plus yrs of service = 85.... At 57 he will have 28 years in VDOT....

When a cow loses a calf that is why I try very hard to graft a calf on them... she is working the lactation, so not a loss... at $150 for a calf, you won't make any profit, break even for what the calf will bring minus the cost= the cost to feed the cow for the year; but she will not have a year of eating without producing something to show for it. I think he really wants to do more with these weaned steers and buying and selling them... so a cow with no calf is just dead weight...
Yep, it hurts to lose a calf... and it is alot longer time to the next one..... whereas sheep and goats you can try to make it up, with the shorter gestation.... and multiple numbers born often times. With a lost calf, you lose a full year of time and it is nearly 2 years before you have something to sell... Can't afford to carry them except in exceptional breeding lineages....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cloudy and chillier... got down to 38 last night. Mid 40's for the day by the looks of it and mostly cloudy. Some snow showers to the west... possibly cold rain or ???? on Sunday. Going to see if I can get those cows in at the nurse cow pasture to take to the farm for the preg check and weaning off the calves; and calves will stay at the nurse cow pasture in familiar surroundings.
Eye dr appt for Monday is cancelled... they do not want anyone with any type of cold or flu symptoms... so I am not going. And since they are closed on Fridays, I will have to wait for Monday to get it rescheduled. I got a text to remind me of the appt., then got another one to confirm and that I did not have any symptoms of illness or flu. Screw it, I will just reschedule it.

It is cloudy and just dreary out and definitely not like yesterday... long sleeved shirt and sweatshirt etc again... the last couple days I have been out in just a long sleeved shirt and regular jeans... Back to lined jeans again...

Yeah, DS is getting the shaft with work... there are a couple of higher ups that have it in for him because he doesn't do the go along/get along crap... and all the stupidity with the roadeo competitions and all. And there are 2 at the headquarters here that would turn their momma in for jaywalking so they are constantly bringing up "grievances".... nice to your face and real backstabbers...
I couldn't work in a place like that.... makes me appreciate the PITA nonsense of the farmers... and at least their SH!T is the real honest to goodness kind !!!!!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Getting ready to quit for the night. Have gotten nothing done with being on the computer paying bills and looking up stuff.
Down to 34 already... after a high of only 47...nearly a 20 degree drop from yesterday.

One of the cows at the nurse cow pasture that I was going to get checked, has a new calf..... So only 4 to get in to check. She is a real little short cow and the calf is small... but acts fine. She will wind up with the "spring calving cow group"... we had set the cut off for Jan 1st for cows to go back with the bull and that is pushing it....
Would rather have them 3 months "ahead" of the ones due in spring... and hopefully they will get bred back quicker this way.
Took another bottle to the barn for the calf this evening. He took it okay, but not as enthusiastic as last night, and looked a little fuller so.... looks like her udder is filling out more... I am hoping that he is stimulating her to produce more.
DS is going to bring in 5 other cows there that have not calved yet and are not showing any signs of an udder to get checked, too. Plus the ones he is moving from the pasture with their calves... I think there are 14 cow/calf pairs there... need to check the lists.
He is going to cull the other one that her calf died... not going to try to deal with getting a calf on her and she has had other issues in the past, so time to cull her... Might be a few more to go after Monday's preg check anyway...

I'm at odds this evening...
Got to test a farm tomorrow afternoon... Maybe I can get the cows in at the nurse cow pasture in the morning... didn't work out today. Just has to work out right, like the other ones the other day. Can't "force things" up there. I think he fed silage up there this evening so they will be fuller and not acting stupid, or like they are starving to death like they were so pushy but acting silly today.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sat morning and getting ready to get things going. Eating some cottage cheese and making a list of a couple things to do when I go to work.
Down to 29 last night so back to more normal. Sun is out but tomorrow is showing a mixed bag coming in... rain mixing with ice and snow possible. Mostly due to our elevation here. First they were saying Sunday afternoon/eve and this morning they are saying maybe by noontime. Well, I will get in as many of the 5 cows I need as I can. Well, maybe 4 cows. Need to get the list and see what is what.

The door to the LR "dropped" a little, and on examination, the screws were pulling out of the wood into the door frame. I had screwed them in tighter awhile back. Well, last night they pulled out all the way. This is an interior door but it is a very solid, very heavy door. Can I get some of that wood filler stuff that I have seen and use it to fill the holes then rescrew the screws back into it? There is no way to change the placement of the hinges with them being cut into the frame. I will have to stop at Lowe's on my way to or from work this evening and see what I can find. I really do not like to do stuff like this.
Things like this really make me miss my mom.... she was the "carpenter" in the family more so than my father ever was... and she liked to figure out doing things when I was younger... I was glad to help but never liked the figuring out kind of stuff. That was fine because I was the animal person and she wasn't so much... Just makes me think about all the things she did and could do.

I just got out the list and there are 4 to come from the nurse cow pasture. DS said that he was going to be working with a couple guys to clean up down trees at several places on the fences and such... so, I will text him and let him know, who/what I get in up there and he can go get them later this afternoon. 3 had better be 6+ months preg or they get sold. 801, the nurse cow will either be preg or go back with a bull. Her 3 calves are 7+ months old and eating fine and she needs a break whether she is bred or not. I have no problem keeping her over and to get bred to calve next fall, if she is open now. That is one good thing about the bull being out so long... they are either well along preg or totally not preg.

Temps are warming up into the low 40's so I guess I will get out there and get going on a few things. Need to take some water out to the chickens, I dumped their waterer yesterday so it can get some fresh.

Need to get the bottles in the trays for testing this afternoon too.