Farmerjan's journal - Weather

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks @SageHill for the idea......I will suggest it to DS and see if he thinks it is worth it...
Last 3 preg checks of over total 75 cows had only 3 open... 2 were over 12 yrs old so time to go..... that's 92% (?) preg.... all in the 4-5 month range at the time except 2 were only 3 months... that goes to show that they were in perfect condition to rebreed. NOT TOO FAT....or too thin...
Sometimes I wonder if it is worth all this anymore... maybe he ought to give up these places, if it comes to that...save the rent money and the aggravation, do a little more buying and putting together animals he can turn over in 90 days.... we can run 75-80 cows without these 2 places ..... and it is very likely we will get doc's home place in a bit since he has it leased to someone else right now... but it is written in an agreement that his wife has lifetime rights to it with her horses when he goes... he is 10-15 yrs older than her... with DS taking care of the place and paying her rent yearly to run cattle on it...not have all these fences to fix/repair/deal with... deadlines on when things should be done, and rents that keep going up...

I just do not want to do anymore "improving the ground and land" and then have them keep acting like asses .... doug ran 50 cows at his place on the grazing land and made hay on the crop fields... we will still have all kinds of hay places as no one wants to make hay on some of what we have been doing for years due to the challenges of the steep ground and rocks and ledges...
DS has the other farm he owns that can handle 30 head in the summer... maybe it is time to cut back on cows right now... especially with the prices so high... see what happens in a couple of years....

I'll deal with this tomorrow once I am in a better frame of mind...

At least the farmer texted me back and said that he can't test thurs-friday because their vet is friday morning and I get that, so not a problem.... he will let me know on friday what next week will look like....
I’m a total outsider on how land leases work. But seems to me that if you are making improvements in any form then you should be paid a fair price for that.
No matter what, sure seems like you’re being run through the wringer.
Regular aggravation and the DS / GF drama crud and the crazy woke world sure makes things crazy.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Beautiful 52 this morning.... Sunny... NICE.
Got some things to do and a couple of errands to run, stuff to the dumpster etc....

GILMANOR POULTRY SWAP TOMORROW....... Eastern Va near Ashland.... you can check it out on the internet....
Weather supposed to be PERFECT....

Meet up with @Mini Horses .... Celebrate my 70TH......
Have a day off...

ANYONE in the area please come meet up .... PM me and I will give you my phone #... we call each other when we get there and meet up and walk and walk and walk looking at stuff..... Officially starts at 8 but people there at 6.... many set up night before.... we meet sometime around 8-9..... leave after lunch when we get too tired....

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, we do!! It's a fun day -- face to face catch up on ourselves. Good exercise and I can confirm, her new knees are working well. 🤣

There's so much to see. Like a huge yard sale, along with all sort of cute animals of many types. Last spring we ate lunch sitting on stacks of bags of feed. It's pretty casual 🤣

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Beautiful 52 this morning.... Sunny... NICE.
Got some things to do and a couple of errands to run, stuff to the dumpster etc....

GILMANOR POULTRY SWAP TOMORROW....... Eastern Va near Ashland.... you can check it out on the internet....
Weather supposed to be PERFECT....

Meet up with @Mini Horses .... Celebrate my 70TH......
Have a day off...

ANYONE in the area please come meet up .... PM me and I will give you my phone #... we call each other when we get there and meet up and walk and walk and walk looking at stuff..... Officially starts at 8 but people there at 6.... many set up night before.... we meet sometime around 8-9..... leave after lunch when we get too tired....
Well, super happy birthday!!!

If I could, I would! Sounds like my kind of fun!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the birthday wishes...

Got home a little bit ago... It was PERFECT weather... 80's with a bit of a breeze. Got hot after all the walking, temps were going up after noon or so.... I had packed some sandwiches since @Mini Horses got "hosed" in the spring with the costs of the 2 sandwiches and a drink... figured we could eat the sandwiches or we could buy and she said she was good so we had ham and cheese w/mustard... couple of waters... we just sat and talked. Saw pretty much all of it... more chickens this fall she thinks and I have to agree... lots of "flea market" stuff and plants and you name it... just gets bigger... Looked at several offerings of goats... she was not tempted to bring anything home...
I saw some chickens I kinda liked... but they got sold as I was showing them to @Mini Horses ... Vorwerks.... Just thought the colors on the males were really stunning... turns out they are a German Breed that is like the Lakenvelder... only gold and black as opposed to the traditional silver and black....Not a Hew Hampshire to be found... Going to have to try to find eggs/chicks in the spring I guess... or might get lucky at the fall Va Poultry Breeders show in Nov....
But I did buy a large Older style coyote live trap... very heavy built... for $25.... and think this might help to catch the PITA varmints in the garden and such...we'll see.... and a pkg of 400 brown paper bags for my potato deals for a whopping $5.... like 1.2 cents each or something...

We did alot of discussing the state of this country, and we are both concerned about the state of the economy and being able to be as "self-sufficient"as possible and providing for our own needs... food etc.....
And nope... never even thought about a picture....

I know I am tired after the day in the sun and the walking...

It was fun.... Spring 2024... 1st Saturday in May......next on the list...

Oh yeah, I also took her some garden tomatoes and several of the different potato varieties I have already dug to do some "taste tests".....

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
It WAS a lovely day!! That place just keeps getting bigger. 😂. Yep, I have lotsa goodies to eat, some nice spud varieties....and one of the Mr Stripey tomatoes will have seeds saved for 2024 garden. Plus some of the cucumber-cinnamon pickles she made from recipe of Ridgetop. Very good...yeah, I popped some of those while fixing something to eat.

Her birthday and I received the gifts! 😱🥰

A wonderful visit. We sat on the grass under a big old tree for lunch. Made ourselves right at home.👍 No we didn't take pics but....after I got home.
IMG_20230916_162440313_HDR.jpg