Farmerjan's journal - Weather

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have another 10-12 days before "possible" May happen.....:lol:.....and I sure ain't wishing for a potent cold front come with enough "steam" to make it here either.....cause it would have quite an effect on all y'all that are on that path from the NW to SE....cause it would have to be a "polar express"....and it is way too early for so many to endure that, just so we could get a "heat breaker" here....I just hope all get to enjoy at least 3-4wks of Fall weather before the "winter coaster ride" starts up.....:)

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, after all those days of heat, we have had the 2nd day in a row that it was cloudy and downright cool. 58 last night to 67 today. Cloudy, had about 10 sprinkles, then saw a little sky through the clouds late afternoon. Better chance of showers/rain tonight and tomorrow, but the radar shows it staying more west and angling more north as it moves this way. It is only a band of rain too, not a huge system. Sure hope we do get some of it.:fl Time will tell. At least the temps are more normal, that is alot to be thankful for.:highfive::highfive:

Went with my son to deliver the hay this morning. 3 different places. One place, our oldest (longest) customer only gets about 25-30 at a time as they only have 1 large pony "left" from the younger days when the 2 kids were home and they rode and all. It's a large pony, but it stays fat as a butterball on thin air and they have to be very diligent to not let it get too much. :p:eek: Then another place still had some left but they have added to their horses, the daughter has "leased" a hunter from a family that their daughter has gone to college and she could not take the horse because of the outlandish costs at the closest stable. So it is going to work out as a win for both by the looks of it. And to our benefit for hay selling; as long as we can make enough hay to take them. And then the third place, she does some lessons, runs a "summer camp" and does pony rides/birthdays and all that. Had help at all 3 places:yesss: so I just visited a little as I have been to all them before.
Then sandwiches at Jimmy Johns, and home.

I hauled a load of water, and they all came up and looked at it, took a sip, and wandered off. :idunno I checked and the lower trough was half full, so they are definitely getting enough. I think the cooler temps have really helped to dramatically cut the water needs, literally overnight.

Had another new calf on a first calf heifer.:weee One of my 4 in this bunch, she had a nice bull calf. So 2 of mine have calved, 2 more to go. There are 4 left total, 2 are mine, 2 are my son's. That's real good they are calving this close together... hope the other 4 come fairly quick. The one calf is still little tiny; but it was laying down with momma this afternoon and all looked fine.
Did see one that has an eye that is squinted closed so will have to get him in the barn and check it out. It could just be irritation from the dry brittle grass and weeds in the pasture.:hu It is one of the 3 month old group, and has come in for grain before; so tomorrow I will put some grain in the pen and see if I can get it to come in for some through the creep gate. May take a day or 2 to get it to come in but I think it will remember the grain. I am definitely going to put a couple protein tubs in this pasture for these young cows this coming week. Won't hurt the calves to learn to lick them either.

Got all the sample bottles in the truck for the morning, and everything else ready to go. I will pack the samples after I do the chickens on the way home, and get the bottles for the afternoon herd ready then. I am heading to the shower now, as I am yawning so a good time to go to bed. Have to be up at 3a.m. to be at the farm by 4. Ugh:th:th

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's Monday evening and I am ready for the shower.:bow

Cloudy most all day today. the threat of showers but nothing. A little bit around, but barely enough to get the ground wet. 63 to 76 so a little bit warmer. Tested at the farm, it wasn't bad until about the last hour and I started to "hurt". Was glad to see it get done and over. :( Stopped at the chickens on the way home, and then worked on getting samples packed. I really felt the short night, and of course I woke up a couple times, probably afraid I would oversleep the alarm... So tonight I will really sleep. :fl:th
Tested the 100 cow herd this afternoon, and even though it is not a hard herd, I really hurt by the time the 2 hours were over. That is why I don't like to put 2 together on one day because it is just too hard on the ankle.

One good thing came out of today....Talked to the guy about the chickens, said I had some farms wanting to test since it had cooled off a bit but I didn't want to commit until I knew what day he wanted to process, so I could be free the evening before and bring them up. He said he was waiting on a couple of others to call back to confirm that were tenative, but he hadn't heard so would it suit me Tues or Wed morning....THIS WEEK....:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate so I said I couldn't get them there this evening due to a farm testing, but Wed would suit me well as I could bring them "tomorrow eve"....:yesss::yesss::yesss:
SOOOOO they will get loaded up tomorrow aft. and get processed on Wed. I did ask if they cut them up in parts and he said no, so I said that was fine, that they could just put them in regular bags; and he said if I brought the coolers when I bring the chickens, they will just put them right in the coolers ( the big ones I want to part) without even the bags, and put them in his walk in cooler til I can go get them. :highfive::yesss:
So, I will have to part them out myself, but that is okay. They will only cost 2.00 each for the 16 real big ones. The "smaller ones" I will get vaccuum packed but not frozen, like the last time, and bring home and stick in my freezer. I will have to move all the ones I have now, around as I had put them in there all spread out to freeze quicker. Now they need to get "packed" better and then I can freeze these others. Probably put the smaller ones in to freeze when I get them home (probably go get the Thursday afternoon), and then work the big ones up on Friday. Just dump a bunch of ice on them and they will keep fine. :clap This worked out perfect:weee and I will not have such a big bunch to feed if there are any from the left behinds....haven't heard from them yet, so I guess the poultry co. hasn't told them when they are going. If there aren't too many I may just not make a special trip, but I could actually swing by there on my way home from getting the others as it is in the general direction and would only be a little side trip off the direct path....
This will REALLY help with the feed situation. :D =D:D =D:D =D:yesss:. I was going to take one out of the freezer to cook up the end of the week, so I will just wait til there is one fresh.:clap:clap:clap YAY. So Glad it is working out this way. :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

I did not haul water today, so definitely will have to in the morning. Wasn't enough time and they weren't in dire straits yesterday so I figured they could go drink out of the spring fed water trough. Don't want to force the calves to deal with it so will fill the other 2 troughs I have been hauling to tomorrow. They are still calling for some precip, but it doesn't look or sound like very much. Maybe a 1/2 inch....:idunno. Well every little bit helps. But it isn't enough to get the wheat planted; for winter cover crop and for spring harvesting for hay; on the fields we took the corn off or the sorghum because it will only barely be enough to get sprouted, and if it doesn't rain after that it will die. We'll see. Should really get planted by about the 10th.... but not getting much cooperation from the weather....

Doesn't look like I will be testing anyone else this week unless someone returns my calls. Maybe on Thursday a.m. or Friday? I do know next week I will be doing 2 most likely, but don't have the days yet. Waiting a bit to see what/if we get enough of a rain, to perk up the hay for a 2nd cutting. It is sooooo dry and brittle right now. I'm going to call a few more and it is going to be first come first served since no one has returned any calls yet.

Time to get going or I WILL FALL ASLEEP....:hide:hide Got alot to do tomorrow now.