Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gee Whiz, it is raining here for a change:hit:hit:th:hide:hide :idunno. Ya think we have had enough yet?

"Local" station about 50 miles north; the next closest is about 50 miles south, both in the Shen Valley so pretty accurate for us here in the middle; anyway, they say our year to date normal is about 32-33 inches. Total YTD normal in any year is around 36" total, which is about 3" a month give or take, more in the spring, less in the summer....
We have had about 53 inches so far this year. Raining now, quite steady/hard with 1-2" expected. At this rate we will be closing in on nearly twice the normal rainfall for the year. Have never had this much in the 37 years I have lived here. That is not taking into account horrific disasters like Hurricane Camille, before I moved here, that dumped like 24 inches in 24 hours and caused devastating flooding and loss of life and whole towns etc where they just washed away.

We did get all the hay up that was on the ground since Sunday, took longer to get dry with several passes tedding and all, due to cloudy overcast days that were supposed to be all sun all week; nearly 300 square bales and the rest rolled and my son rolled over 30 rolls for a neighbor whose tractor alternator went out and couldn't get another til next Tues. There was hay down everywhere this past week due to the "supposedly nice sunny weather we were gonna have. I got the clothes off the line at 9:30 last night after getting home from testing cows and the 14 or so square bales on the truck covered last night too. It is raining quite hard, and 37*. Just miserable weather.:he:he:he:hit:hit

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Might be a good day to sit by the fire and read a good book... Sorry you've been so blessed with moisture. Supposed to be mid 70s here today, sunny and breezy. Had the heat off last night and the window over my head cracked open. Inside was 59° this morning when I got out of bed. Still only 51° outside at the moment. Another hour or two to dry out the dew & I hope to be back to work on the never ending build called the "Goat Shack".

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'll take clear & real cold over wet & kinda cold every day of the week.
You and me both. And we have had only the wet and kinda cold miserable stuff this past winter spring, and now this fall. Hard on the animals, and hard on the humans trying to take care of them. It has been raining steady/hard non-stop since before 8 am. Wanna bet we get alot more than 1-2 " ????

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
We've had the wettest Summer here in Tidewater in over some 80+ years. June was among hottest. It worries me for the winter here. We haven't have a lot of snow in several years -- this past summer makes me think that it may be "our year" for that too! Scary, really. Have only had two heavy (12" plus) snows here in 20 years. One in 2000 and one about 9 yrs ago. Well, that equates to about every 9-10 years and that is now.:( Yep, I'm worried.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
All things considered, it don't look too bad except up in NE yankeeland.
usaweather tgiv.jpg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We got just about 1 & 1/2 inches yesterday out of that cold rain. It stayed in the low 30's most all day, then got up to 40 and started to clear off. It is sunny today and upper 50's. But MUD...... holy moley.... it is muddy everywhere. Supposed to have some more showers tonight/early tomorrow then maybe a week of sun???? But they said sun all last week and we had 3 days of overcast cloudy, windy, cold... so who knows. This rain doesn't soak in and with nothing growing it doesn't get taken up by the plants so it takes forever to percolate down into the soil.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hear it is Wednesday, Dec 5th. Now it is snowing. Had another quarter inch just a few days ago, chilly, foggy, raw, damp, 40's, and then sun and upper 60's Sun and Mon, then cold cloudy yesterday; now flurries and cold 35. Supposed to clear out and sun for 2-3 days then a storm coming in off the Pacific and a "SIGNIFICANT winter storm" this sat/sun/mon.
I'm wanting SPRING already after the wet damp muddy year we have had.
th.gif
:th:th:hide
idunno.gif
:idunno:idunno but the forecast is for a fairly cold and more snowy winter than we have had in several years....:(:(:(