Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We want our heifers to have their first calf at somewhere around 24-28 months of age. So a heifer calf born today 3-20-20 will get bred no earlier than June of 2021 to have her first baby no earlier than March of 2022. I do not like to calve out heifers until between 26-30 months. They have a little more growth, and are a little more mature and seem to do a little better job of "being a mom".....
It's like a 15 yr old girl may be able to have a baby, but being 18 or 20 is much more preferable...... Same thing.
I have had a few heifers over the years get bred and calve at 18-20 months..... but they will never reach their full potential if they get bred too young. Their growth will be stunted, and they don't produce much milk and the calf doesn't get the growth because it doesn't get the needed nutrition.
I have a heifer that got bred while she was still nursing her mother. She just came in heat and being out to pasture I never saw it. By the time I realized she was bred, it was too late to abort her so she calved at about 17 1/2 months old. Bless her heart, she has been a good mother in as much as taking care of and mothering the calf. But she is short, her growth is stunted and she will probably never amount to anything and the calf is small and is not worth much. They are in getting fed better than the unbred ones of the same age, getting silage, and got some grain for the most of the early part of her lactation. But neither is worth much.

Just like everyone that preaches about pulling the ram lambs or the buck kids by 3 months or so. If the ewe lambs or the female kids come in heat, the males can breed at that young age. If they get caught, you usually don't know it until they are well along in the pregnancy and it is more dangerous to abort them at that point than to let them finish their term. Most people that I have heard or read, don't like the females to have babies (lambs in particular) until they are a year old. But you have to deal with a body that is not grown enough to have babies yet. The pelvis can be too small, they usually don't come into milk that good because the mammary system is immature. The baby can be too big, and you can have trouble getting it delivered. And no matter the breed, the first time momma in any breed of mammal, is still going to grow during that period. So if it is too young, they just can't grow and sustain feeding a baby at the same time so they just don't grow well. So neither is worth much, if you don't lose one or the other outright.

We don't have strangers come to the farm. We have always been very restrictive of people who come to the farm due to bringing in a "bug" that the cattle can pick up that they have had no contact with. The commercial farms are very restrictive. My dairies are being careful and not allowing anyone that they don't know and know what their travel situation has been. Anyone that has been there to ours the last few weeks, and I can think of maybe 6, are familiar friends or people who have worked for us in the past. Going to the auction is exposure to more people yes. But you have to realize that most of the time is is not that close a quarters, and most of the farmers, and their families in this area, do not travel, are very "tied to home" and have very few contacts with too many others that might have traveled elsewhere. Yes I understand the whole, his uncle's best friends' kids were exposed to the neighbor that just got back from XX...... or someone's parents just got back from a cruise that they went to on their 50th anniversary... Still they are putting restrictions in place also. We don't have small kids that get exposed to other kids, so not as big a problem there either, since kids bring home everything....

I appreciate the concern and yes we have talked about it. One of the reasons I will not be going to the sale tomorrow, because of the restrictions and for simple common sense. There are alot more of the "weekend" farmers that go to that one, but the talk is about allowing only one person per family who is selling..... most are families that bring all their kids and all that with them.... But the one on Monday has about 25 people there regularly and most are all older farmers..... and I mean real "off the back forty" kind of farmers that never go anywhere except to the feed store and the farm and the stockyard sale.

I think that as farmers, in general, we usually have a better immune system because we are exposed to a multitude of different bacteria and "bugs" and we then have a better build up of immunity from all the exposure.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
For all of the country and pop music fans, we lost a good one. Kenny Rogers passed away.. Always loved his music and his Gambler movies.

Cloudy, with some sun this morning. 55, up to 60 at 11a.m. and maybe going up a bit more with more showers coming in. Temps are going to drop but not as much as forecast earlier in the week which is good.

Haven't talked to my son to see how things went when they hauled cattle to town, this morning. We had decided to ship 20 feeders after we got done sorting last night and another 10 or 12 will go on Monday to the now combined special sale with the normal sale.... Then have 8 for the other guy who won't get them until mid - April. They will go out in the back lot there since they won't be needing any extra feed. Have about 10-12 that are smaller 400 lb size that will get the last of the silage and some of the better hay and will get sold maybe in late April if the restrictions lift a bit and things get a bit more back to normal. We'll see. The it will be time to move some of the fall calving cows home and pull those calves off, and pregnancy check them for calves to come this fall. In the meantime, the spring cows that are calving now will be going out to pasture for the summer, and the bulls be put in in early June for them to get bred back for calves next year.
Plus it will be time to think about hay season. If we keep getting this warmer weather, we will have to get an earlier start.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Let's hope you get an early hay AND an extra cutting late!! Wouldn't that be fantastically unusual and timely? I think farmers deserve a decent year. Haven't had one in a while. Right? It would be a good year for you with a new ankle in use -- you could enjoy it. Haying would be a pleasure.

Me -- I'm just hoping for a really good garden! Over half the goats have kidded, weaning & milking has begun. Couple of months and the kids will go to auction. Well, most will. A few of the adult does are being sold this year -- 2 doelings will stay -- and a couple new does will be added. Those are plans at least.

So far, the mini horse herd has remained at 12. Few oldies out there, so may have some loss within next yr or so. Then, the one stally at 34 is still fat and sassy! :idunno What will be, will be.

This CV-19 thing has pretty much shut down the food demos, until?, so I'm having a "semi-retired, more time at home" Spring. Maybe for Summer, too. So far, it's ok. In fact, I could get real used to it! Other job is still cranking but, it normally slows in summer.....almost dies in winter....when demos crank up. This virus is turning lives around in some strange ways.

Not complaining -- just reporting. I feel blessed to be where I am in life. Yeah, enough bacteria exposure here to make my immune pretty strong. Plus home grown, home cooked, is much healthier food! Most farmers are better off in these ways. Not to mention low exposure to others -- because we have chores not shopping days. :lol: :lol: :old

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, we got lucky. One steer didn't meet the graded pen requirements, he's showing a hump in his back for some reason. took him back home. So we sold 8 steers and 11 heifers. Steers weighed 490 and brought 1.60. Heifers weighed 510 and brought 1.30. As good as any prices have been lately, so that was good. That's 19 not there eating, which is really good. Now if we can sell the other 10-12 on Monday we will be in alot better shape. But at least 19 gone will help quite a bit.

There was a whisper of a rumor that the govt might be doing a total shut down of all non-essential businesses like even banks..... agriculture is considered essential. But I have heard that some of the smaller sale barns have also shut down and that some of the bigger ones have 25 % of their normal movement at this time of year. Something along the line of what @Duckfarmerpa1 mentioned. Yet the last govt update I saw said no general nationwide shut down, just the 4 states that have announced so far.....Ca, Ny, Ct and Ill????

It is scary for what they are saying.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Great on the sales!! A lot less to feed & decent $$. It's always a tooth clincher at an auction. Who's buying, how much is there to buy, where you are in the line-up. Unless you go to these things, it isn't a real "known" thing. But -- I LOVE a good auction!!!

Now, how's that ankle behaving?? :idunno

DSs hip, your ankle & then a knee -- more new moving parts than your old tractors! :lol:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sunday and it is decent out. Partly sunny, was 41 up to 55 so far. Supposed to get more rain this evening.

The ankle is doing. It is hard to wear the boot to walk as it is just so awkward and heavy but there are worse things. I do better with the crutches with the boot, than without the crutches, probably because it is so awkward. Foot still looks like a fat sausage stuck on the end of the leg..... still swollen but not hot or anything, they said it could be like this for months so not especially worried. Doesn't bend a whole lot but I do make sure that it bends around when I am sitting and stuff, just working the muscles that they said I could. No pressure against it to "make it" do anything.

Going out to do the chickens and the cats in just a little bit while it is decent out. Need to dump the rain gauge and see what we got.

Supposed to test a few farms next week. Waiting on one to call me back so I can schedule the other 2. If I don't hear soon today, I am going to make a few other phone calls and the one I am waiting on will have to take whatever I have left. I specifically told them on Friday afternoon that they needed to call me and let me know so I can get the others scheduled.....
I have a bit of a cold. DS had it and I guess I picked it up. Runny nose and some cough. More annoying than anything.

Going to get in and get a good hot shower after I go out to do stuff here and I will feel better then.

The refridgerator in the house is going bad. I am going to move all the stuff out of the freezer into the big freezers as soon as I get done outside. Usually I can turn it off and then turn it back on later and it works okay. It gets too much frost in the freezer and I usually just scrape some out and get it away from the door and stuff but I think it is going to just croak..... It belongs to the landlord and he said I was welcome to use it when I moved in instead of having to move mine in here. Guess we might have to go get mine out of storage.... Not in the plans.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hit 58 but has been cloudy and dreary all day. Only .1 inch in the rain gauge. Sprinkles don't add up very fast.

2 of the peach trees are in almost full bloom and the other is all pink, ready to open up. As long as we don't get down in the low 30's we might get through. Moved the chicken pen over about 3 feet so they can have some more grass. really want to fence off the whole garden so that they can eat it all down before it is time to till but doubt that is getting done. Going to eat then go get a nice hot shower. Think I am going to see what it will take to get the dvd/vhs player moved over to the newer TV so I can watch something. And I never did get the jigsaw puzzle out so that is another very strong possibility for tonight.
Tired of watching all the news snippets on You tube.... fox and cnn and msnbc and all.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is a TON of stuff to watch on YouTube without watching news snippets :D At least the things I'm watching don't have news.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I get headaches watching anything of any length on my laptop....

Started at 43 up to 47, got a good rain for a bit this morning.

Well the "bug" I got from my son is a flu bug not a cold. Got the headache typical of when I get the flu bug; thought maybe I would get past it but it hit me last night. And no, I am not going to panic that it is the C-virus. Going to go back to bed for a bit to sleep it off which usually works.
Already told my son I wouldn't be going today. He told me some sad news... a friend and fellow farmer passed away last night of a heart attack. He was a member of our newly formed Rockbridge county cattlemans assoc.. He just saw him on Saturday, in the fertilizer truck. This whole corona virus thing might affect the whole funeral thing too..... Sad for his family. His wife passed away a couple years ago but he was very active on the farm.