Farmerjan's journal - Weather

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@drstratton Thank you for the encouragement. I had the ankle done first because I was walking on the foot nearly sideways since it hurt to bend it. Now I am in alot of pain from the knees, can barely walk on them.
Plans are to try to get this house I am wanting to buy, do some work that needs doing, get moved in by fall, get the cows all calved out and things made as easy as possible, for my son, and then do the knees and be able to rehab in "my new house"..
But right this minute, getting a shower to try to get rid of some of the effects of this pollen..... and be able to sit with this ankle up so it isn't swelling so much since it was down a good part of the day while I was sitting on the tractor.
Well, you definitely deserve a good rest with your foot up! :)

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
A couple of generalizations. If they do both at once, they will have me up within 2 days, to walk. Not much different that with doing one. It is so much more common now with knees that it isn't considered to be such a big deal. A little longer recovery time as the rehab will be a little slower due to getting tired out and sore more easily the PT guys said. Haven't talked to a dr about it yet, am still researching a couple here and a couple down at Duke that my ankle dr mentioned.

No I wasn't that close to a tree line. About 4 full mown rows out. There have been numerous limbs that wind up out in the fields... yes "along tree lines" so to speak, but not like I was right up against it. I wound up picking up several that the mower must've gone over as they might have been in the deep grass enough that he didn't see/hit them. Then when I was raking, they would turn up, or I would run over one with a tire and feel it and have to get off and see about getting it out of the windrow. I didn't "hit " this one with a tire so didn't know that it was there until too late.

Put another wheel on it for now and will replace the bent one. Went up today and raked the big field of about 10-12 acres of the wheat cover crop. It is all dry enough to bale. Kinda too bad that he didn't cut one more place so we could get it done as he should be able to get all this baled easily today and tomorrow. Oh well, not tempting the weather gods. I think we are looking at a few days rainy/t-storms, then maybe clearing again for a few days. It will get done. We no longer have the one that the lady would call constantly that the sun was out why weren't we cutting it.... and another place was unhappy with the quality of the hay, last year's second cutting. We had an agreement with them that we would do the first cutting for us (which we roll) , then sq bale the second cutting, they pay half the fertilizer and we do all the work; and they would get 100 bales and we would get the rest. Then it was 150 bales, then last year it was all the second cutting. But there was alot of foxtail in the bales and her horses don't like to eat it. Well, if you want better hay then you should get the fields renovated and plant better hay making seeds. They don't want to put any money into it. So they said we could just have the hay and they don't want any and this way they don't have to pay for half the fertilizer but this way we will just roll it all. The cows can pick around the foxtail. Plus there are alot of rocks and we aren't going to mow up into the real rocky-ledgey areas. We are the third person that they have had there because no one wants to deal with them. If it doesn't work out this year then bye..... no great loss. Tired of trying to deal with people who want this and that but aren't willing to accept that some things cannot be done without a great cost, and we are not going to tear up equipment on their rock piles for a few bales of hay.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Got an appt on Thursday with the bank, the appraiser mentioned to the owners of the house. She is thinking that it sounds like a pretty good deal..... very positive on the phone. Told the owners about it and what I had heard from my credit union.... and they said that this sounds good but that if there are problems that we can see what we can work out. I mentioned that maybe I would have to ask them to hold the mortgage for like a year, and then refinance after the work was done. They said they realized that the banks were not very willing to lend on anything that wasn't move in ready or picture perfect.... so they are open to talking about alternatives. But maybe this will go smoothly at the bank. Doesn't hurt that she knows pretty much everyone involved too; and knows right where the house is. So She is e-mailing me a list of what to bring after asking me several questions on the phone. Will have to do a 30 year she said to make it work with the percentage of income.... but that there are ways to pay it off faster. I said that I just don't want anything that has a prepayment penalty so that I can pay extra on it to get it paid off faster. They require ins and taxes included in the payment.
So I will know a little more by the end of the week, at least if it looks feasible.

:fl
And to top it all off, a little 1200 sq foot house just down the road ( 1/2-3/4 mile) just went up for sale ..... on 1.1 acres (grandfathered in) for.........169,000..... they are nuts. But the owners of the place I want were telling me about it.... like twice+ what they are asking me... but it has been renovated inside and is ready to move in..... still only one story, and half the land. So I am thinking I better make this work. The owner did say he wondered what kind of a response he would have gotten it they had just put a sign out front for sale and asked 95,000 for it as is..... then he laughed and said, no, we wouldn't do that to you. But that is alot of money for a little house down the road.
Still have the farm credit to fall back on if this won't fly but she sounded very positive about it. :fl:fl:bow:bow

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
My sis wanted both of her knees done at the same time, but her doctor won't do doubles. I guess he used to, but got some patients who had trouble because they wouldn't do the therapy exercises. She would have been a good candidate because she's tough and has no problem making herself do unpleasant things, lol.

I hope things work out with your house, it sounds like it's going in a positive direction.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just what you need, a smaller place down the road up for sale at twice the price. Hurry up and get this deal done!

Getting both knees done makes sense. One recovery and PT and you're done. Of course, the recovery and PT is a process, but with both knees so bad, why stretch it out? I know you will plan everything out and cross the t's and dot the i's.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
but with both knees so bad, why stretch it out?
Especially if the "not done first" one is going to be even more painful carrying the load for the one that was done first for a time.

No I wasn't that close to a tree line. About 4 full mown rows out.
How do the limbs get that far out?

And to top it all off, a little 1200 sq foot house just down the road ( 1/2-3/4 mile) just went up for sale ..... on 1.1 acres (grandfathered in) for.........169,000
It's only worth $169K if someone is willing to pay it. Of course you can always find someone coming from pricey areas that don't know the area and what things should sell for, the "low" price looks good to them.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have had some wicked winds along with a few pouring down lightning/thunderstorms...Trees are pretty tall so can easily see them sailing out into the field. Happens alot.

It was a real scorcher today. Hit 93 after a low of only 67. 2 days before it was down to 49.....:thIt was muggy, much more humid too.
Really working on the knees at PT to try to strengthen them as the enforced "off" time with the ankle has caused them to really ache now when I am using them. The ankle is doing good and still no pain..... can't believe it. I have more feeling further down the leg and shin to nearly the bend for the foot, and some more feeling on the bottom. Doesn't feel so "unattached" as it did. Boy, all I can say @Bruce is I hope your dad's was as painfree as mine has been. The numbness has been aggravating but not painful. I didn't realize how bad the knees were as the ankle was worse.... honestly don't know how I stood it..... 'cuz I can barely stand the knees. Anyone have anything like a cream/lotion that they use on achy joints? I've done most of the standard over the counter stuff; trying a CBD cooling cream but haven't seen too much in results.... hoping maybe I need to use it for a few days before I get the benefit?????:fl I am willing to try most anything anyone has had luck with. This CBD was a suggestion from a friend's dad who has had great luck with it.....The "hot" things like creams often cause my skin to get a rash that plain old hurts, so am careful of any of the creams that have capsaicin (sp?) in them. Icy Hot does not like me and doesn't give me the relief.

He got all the hay rolled... orchard grass, wheat cover crops and mixed grass. Nearly 40 acres. Don't know how many but he did the big rolls. The wheat was a little thin, but the orchard grass was real nice. Farmer got the corn planted today also in that 15 acres. So we are set for that. Now need another nice window like this last one that was so perfect, to get going on some more hay.

Going to call about some homeowners ins..... talk to them about it and if they need to, can get them to come look at the house. Picked up some paint "chips" samples. Wanted to maybe go to Lowes to look at tub/shower surrounds but the knees said not today. Have to stop by the bank tomorrow with some info and go to test. PT again on Friday.....
Supposed to get some thunderstorms the next 2-3 days, then maybe clearing off again. That would be great. Need to get the orchard grass at his barn done as they are saying now that around June 15th they ought to be coming to put in the road and then the cell tower..... as bad as the service has gotten around here that would be really helpful.

Gotta look for a few more papers so will get going.

Latest posts