Farmerjan's journal - Weather

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know ya could "bite nails" with the anticipation...along with "holding your breath" waiting on the Closing...especially since we were there a yr and a half ago, and my memory hasn't gotten that bad, yet anyway.... :lol: ....but I assure ya when those keys hit your hand ya will be ready to do a Jig!!....:weee:celebrate:weee.....and just remember...I'll be dancing right along with ya....shore would like to be there to see that Big smile on your face too....:thumbsup......sorry bout the heifer, but I certainly would make the same decision....:)

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, that heifer had to go .. not her way though. In Jan I sold a really good buck because he went over every fence I had! damaging them as he was a big boy. He even learned to unplug the electric box. When he came out OVER a cattle panel enclosure, well....I was done!! He went to auction. Brought good money, too. Not enough for new fences :) Was just a matter of time to find him with a broken leg anyway. He left me with a lot of white kids.

I know this last wait is killer on the closing. BTDT. Soon, they say, soon! Hope you haven't pulled all your hair out first :lol:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Woke up to fog again, then clouds, then some sun peeking through then clouds and then rain later on. Had a good steady rain for a bit, an almost "downpour" then a shower then another decent steady rain for another little bit. It was raining when I got home so I glanced at the gauge and it looks to be about an inch but I didn't go dump it. Will just do a total tomorrow.
Went to town and took the heifer. It was harder than I was anticipating as she kept looking at me like okay, what's this all about. But I just can't take a chance on her deciding to go over a fence and coming out into the road as someone comes around the corner, going too fast as they seem to most of the time, and having an accident where someone gets hurt or killed. I did not go back for the sale, what she brings is what she brings. She was being sold as bred due in Oct.... but she did look like the jersey/angus cross that she was, so I am not expecting a very good check. Too dairy and not enough beefy looking.
Got back and went to the pasture and did the cow. Then went to the pasture where my son was bush hogging. He asked me to bring a shovel and digging bar; he hit the water hydrant and itwas messed up and water filling the hole. So he had to dig it up after turning off the breaker. I got on the tractor and started bush hogging. He had to go get parts and then came back and I saw him going out and he texted & said he got it fixed. For me to bush hog until I wanted to quit. I had finished the one field that he had done 3/4 of and gone into the 3rd field. We had moved the cows from the 1st field into the 2nd (middle) field 2 weeks ago. They won't go to the 3rd one until after Sept or Oct and then we will load them out of there. There aren't as many there this year so they are not getting eaten down as fast. Really should be more there but he had been in a rush and moved some to another place that needed to be here and so now the other place is at max plus, and this place is understocked. Tried to tell him when he moved that other bunch.... not bothering to say anything now.
So I finished the 3rd field except for a couple places he can do with going inbetween some trees and such. Then if anything gets torn up it's not my fault. He doesn't know that I finished that field.... so all that needs to be done is field #1 needs to be gone over to knock down any thistles or weeds and since it is well grazed and just coming back green, it will be ALOT easier to see rocks/ledge etc....
Turned the nurse cow out on my way home and am done for the night. I was on the tractor for nearly 6 1/2 hours and had had enough. Knees are aching from too little movement even though I try to move them and even stop and stand for a few minutes every so often. I have a headache too today. Probably nerves/upset over the stupid heifer. If she wasn't one that had been friendly it wouldn't have bothered me. Sent that one to butcher that wouldn't stop sucking cows without a second qualm.

So I am going to make something for supper, take a shower, wash my hair, and quit early tonight. May take something for the aching knees so I can go to sleep.
It is supposed to have a few lingering showers tonight, then a little sun early with more coming in Sat eve and Sunday. Then we are looking at some possibilities from the "now" hurricane heading towards Fl and up the east coast. Monday into Tuesday ???? One model has the storm coming further inland than they were thinking yesterday..... won't know til it gets here.

Have PT Monday morning, 200 cow herd for that afternoon. The 500+ cow herd on Tuesday aft., if they don't call. They are having some trouble with the computer that identifies the cows and then they don't get a recorded milk weight.... so not only would we have to get their numbers individually instead of off the "reader" in the barn, but they won't have the correct milk recorded. We are planning but there is a possibility they will call and cancel. Nice that they gave me a heads up at least. Then Wed. 9:00 a.m. appt with woman dr in Charlottesville for the knee consultation, and then a 250 cow herd Wed aft and Thurs morn. They are a 2 x (times) test. I told them when he called and wanted Tues or Wed that I would have to do wed/thurs, but because of the dr appt I would leave the meters and they would have to set them up since I wasn't sure how long I would be at the appt. . I honestly suspect that I will be home by 1, and they don't start milking til 3:15.... but it will do them good to do the set up since I wanted to do them when I didn't have anything scheduled a week ago, and it didn't suit....That way I don't have to rush. As it is I will have to pack all the 500 cow herd samples Tues eve so they will go out Wed ; I will drop them on my way out wed morning early. Takes an hour + to go to Charlottesville and I have no idea of the traffic situation.... no college yet... if they ever open it up at UVA....??? I sure won't have time to pack them when I get home. It will be a later night on Tues than I would like.

This is what I was trying to explain to the bank people. My schedule is not set and now that it has cooled off a bit... I expect everyone that put it off will want to test all at the same time... and really make my knees ache. Sure, that next paycheck will be a whole lot more, but I would much prefer that it were more spaced out....
So they better be willing to do the closing on Tuesday morning, because Mon and Wed are out. Of course I sent a text today and have heard nothing back......and I had some phone service at the pasture.... got all the texts my son sent.... I am going to send an email also and they will get it Monday morning.... the one has been on vacation and is expected back on Monday, so I hope she gets it since they are so all fired wanting to correspond by email....

Gee Whiz, it is the first of August already, rent due again..... Money is a little tight right now since I transferred that money to the other bank.... and as far as that goes, telling me it takes 3 days to clear is a CROCK.... I wrote the check 7-30-2020, yesterday, Thursday morning.... It was deducted from my account today 7-31-2020. So between that, and I had to go pick up the cured hams and bacons and ponhoss and some lard, and wrote a check for a little over $300. for that, all of a sudden there isn't much in the account. The Blue cross supplement payment comes out on the 5th, up to $101 now from the $88 it used to be, but that is okay because it is helping pay all the medical bills and the therapy too.... guess the check from the heifer will help keep me solvent until the next decent paycheck. I didn't get paid for the cattle he took the other night, as he hasn't gotten paid yet. the 3 brought about 12-1300, and that is okay, they were not "the cream of the crop".... the belted was still smallish... the other 2 were just mediocre. Since prices at the stockyards were decent last week, most everything will go there that has to go; when it has to go.

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sent a text about the closing and my schedule and got one back that they are waiting on the underwriters ( that was the excuse last week, the underwriters needed more paycheck info).... and that it might be Thursday or Friday this week. I am getting really really unhappy with all this. They have had all they really needed to know for 2 weeks.....
Sending an email to the other bank person and basically telling her the same thing, about my schedule, about how all the info was sent to them last Tuesday, that the money has cleared my account and that Tuesday is the only day that is going to work due to my now busy testing schedule. See what she has to say in return on her return from Vacation on Monday.
If it wasn't the right place at the right time at the RIGHT price, I would have half a mind to tell them to stuff it.... D@#N all this BS.

Had 1.1 inches of rain in the gauge and the radar is showing some storms coming through but they may skirt us here; looks like we are on the edges.

Put some of the ham steaks in the freezer and the ponhoss, to freeze. will put more in later. Wanted them to freeze flat in the package so had limited working space with only able to make one shelf empty.... Should get them mostly all done by this evening I hope.
Got the meters in the truck for monday's test, Sunday aft doesn't need any they have their own weigh jars. Tuesday will be electronics with their own samplers and I will leave the meters at the farm to set up for the Wed-thurs test. figured if it was pouring down rain I didn't want to be putting that stuff in the truck then. Got to get all the sample bottles ready. The big farm on Tuesday they go right in the shipping boxes, but the other farms the bottles go into coated metal racks that I take into the barns. Since the boxes only hold 60 bottles, and my racks will hold 96 full, it is less to carry into the barn and the racks are not as bulky as the boxes.

Need to make something for lunch.... never did eat then went up to the nurse cow, and then came home and got going on the stuff into the truck and all.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
If it wasn't the right place at the right time at the RIGHT price, I would have half a mind to tell them to stuff it.... D@#N all this BS.
Deep breath in, exhale through your mouth. Sit cross legged, hands on your knees, index fingers touching thumbs and say "Om, Om, Om".

Too bad the sellers didn't want to hold the mortgage, at least for a year or two.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bruce, yeah no kidding. I would have already been working on it..... Oh well, I will take all advice to CHILL OUT🥶.

Had an interesting experience this evening. On the way home from turning the nurse cow out, came down by the dumpsters and on the concrete bridge was a young black bear. Probably 100-150 lbs.... like last years cub or something... not small to still be on the momma. I have been seeing one almost every year down in this general area so there has to be at least a breeding pair in the general vicinity as I have seen a female with a cub before.... and twice a single. Once was a big one, the other time one a little bigger than this one. Wasn't at the dumpster, just on the bridge over the good sized creek there. Turned and ambled quickly over to the other side and into the weeds on the side of the road.

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Slaughter places here are booked over a year out. It is nuts.

On the freezer.......they are scarce as hen's teeth 'round here. Have to order them weeks and weeks out to get one, if then. Freezers are the "New Toilet Paper".
We ordered one in April and just got it 2 weeks ago! They are definitely hard to come by!