Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wed night. I went to the parts place, got the tie rod parts.... neither was right. The drivers side was too small a diameter and the passenger side was too big.... REALLY.... DS got on the phone, and they seemed to find the "right numbers" and then they could not go to the warehouse in Staunton (1/2 hr north) .... due to not enough people at the store.. so I said I would go. So I go and they hadn't even put in the order from the parts place here... they had a 1/2 hour to do so.... so the really nice man at the warehouse, talked to his supervisor, they called the parts store, got the part numbers... and then he got the short one for the pass side and we compared it to the old ones.... that I purposely took both with me.... it looked and measured up the same, then he went in the other warehouse there, got the long one for the drivers side..... and it measured up the same size... so I came back as fast as I could....DS and I got them put in, and then lined up the truck and measured to see if the tires were "straight".... that is part of what alignment is; but there is a way to do it at home for a way to get it pretty close.... yes he will get it aligned but had to have it for feeding tomorrow.... and it measured off exact front and back of the tire.... looked good.

Glad we got it done this aft as it was in the 40's and some sun. It would have been a B@#$H to do it tomorrow in the cold that is coming through.... he had done what feeding he needed there at the barn with the skid loader and all, so went home to see if he could get 5-6 hours sleep before having to be in at midnight. He said last night that they worked all night doing maintenance work, and that he cannot understand why the day crew is not getting any of it done.... but anyway...

I went and took the wrong parts back and then filled up with gas, went by and it was too late to get the oil changed in the truck so made arrangements to do it in the morning. I have a little whine in the transmission I think so want the fluids to get checked on everything. I do not need any problems with it. Car is going in this weekend for them to see if they can get to figuring out the noise.

I came home and went out and there were 2 eggs today and the poor leghorn has 1 tail feather left.... horrible time to molt.... but nothing I can do.

So I am going to bed early so I can get up and be down there at 8 when they open. I have PT at 2 tomorrow afternoon also.

Looks like rain will come in around 8 or so tonight.... a break around 11 to 1 a.m., then more rain and changing over??

Have had a bunch of snow melt... it is really "shorter" in the fields and the roads are mostly clear. It is still 40 out so any rain will melt it more.

I have a headache tonight.... but I hadn't taken anything all day. so did take something a little bit ago. Have had a lot of swelling in the ankle and knees.

Have a couple of farms to call..... not wanting to go do any one in the cold weather....I will worry about it tomorrow.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thursday. Got up and went to the co-op and got the oil changed, and the transmission was down in the gear oil it uses.... he filled it. Checked and filled the other fluids.... got 2 tires getting pretty worn so told him to look some up and prices, and I will get back to him in a couple days to check. I have to look and see what I have here too.
I stopped at McD's for an egg Mcmuffin breakfast... changed the coffee to a hot chocolate... and it was over $8.00....Holy moley.:ep:idunno:idunno

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry, hit the wrong button. I could not believe it. Now I know why I am spending more time making good food at home. It wasn't all that good either...
I did stop at the dumpster and throw a couple of plastic bags of trash off while right there near it too.

Temps got down to 35 and up to 38 so some melting. It is very cloudy though. Got some sprinkles/showers but really not much out of this front. Looking like the one coming in will be staying further to the south and along the coast so we should get by with little or no snow out of it. @Mini Horses may be in for a significant snow.

Did a little vacuuming when I got home. Chickens water is good so that works.

Still have a headache this morning, not sure if I am sleeping wrong.

Been doing some paperwork since I got home. I will have to stop at the PO when I go out later and send off another form for the settlement of my father's estate. And got some other stuff that I have to sign up for electronic filing with the court in order to see the case progressing. What a PITA.

Kinda raw and damp out there... good day to stay in.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Late Thursday afternoon. I went to PT and stopped and sent the letter off for the estate stuff... sent it certified as I want to make sure it gets there... with so much of the mail not getting back and forth with my brother and then my sister and other brother in Ct....
Then went to the farm to get milk and dropped off the info on his cows that I printed off for him, from the farm he sends his samples off with. We talked a few minutes about the disaster of the whole press conference with Biden last night... I am sorry that his family cares nothing about the man being cognitively unable to function as a sharp, "with it" leader of the country. Like him, hate him, don't care.... he is just not capable of holding a press conference and answer questions and such. It is very sad as well as being very scary....

Came home, went out to the chickens.. got 1 egg and shut things up.

When I left to go to PT it was snowing like we were going to get a blizzard... I mean it was coming down... Less at PT and it had slowed to a few flurries an hour later... It covered the ground here but luckily it was still above freezing so some has melted except what fell on the other snow.

Just made the other NY Strip steak out of the package I thawed and some baked beans. Stomach was growling and realized that I never ate lunch.... So now I am going to do some stuff in the house and try to go to bed early....

@Ridgetop not sure of the swelling in the ankle and knees except I was doing alot of sitting.... ankle swells still, some, and it is always if I am sedentary. I don't always do the little movements/exercises for the ankle when I am sitting and when I don't, it swells. I don't seem to be retaining fluid except for when I sit around.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Over $8 for an egg McMuffin and hot chocolate? It’s not even real hot chocolate, just powdered stuff and hot water.

Isn’t chasing truck parts down a royal pain? At least you finally got the right parts and the truck got fixed.

You really need to get a recliner. Keeping your feet up would help keep your ankle and knees from swelling. If I stand for too long or sit for too long, the pain makes me go for my recliner. I stuffed one in the backseat of the truck and brought it to the house in Groveton. I’m up and down on the ladder, standing and about 3:00, I take a break in the recliner. It sure helps.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
We got cold and overcast this morning. Rains rolled in about 10, light mixed with ice and continued until about 5...when it got colder. Snow started 8 ish, stopped now, 11ish. White on ground, maybe 1/2" and wet. Dropping into 20s so icy in morning. Boo! 🙁

Supposedly nothing falling from sky tomorrow until around mid day. Then prob rain, wintery mix? At dusk turns to snow, continues overnight. 😟😢. Because system may slide on or off coast....they're guessing 3-9". Quite a spread there! 😂. Saturday morning will be the reveal. Oddly, south of me may get more, 6-10.

What will be, will be. I saw those empty meat shelves in stores that they've had on TV. No bread, milk & eggs mostly gone. Meats empty of most, especially poultry.
People are getting ready for a snow in. 🤣🤣. First I've seen of that extreme. Wasn't shopping, just doing jobs in the stores. Parking lots packed. My work is done until next Thur. I'm good, whatever we get. 🤷

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We are not going to maybe get a few flurries if that but this front is going to sit right down there at @Mini Horses .....We'll share :hide

Boy, it got COLD last night. It is presently 12 degrees... wasn't expecting that until tonight.

Leaving for the beef conference in a little bit.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
29F in Groveton, damp, sky is shades of gray. It’s 23F in Lindale. Going to be freezing and cold at night both places, thawing during the day, through next Sunday. Groveton typically is a few degrees warmer. Maybe when I find my home, I can have a fall/winter garden again.

Sounds like you two are in for some hunker down weather.

Latest posts