Farmerjan's journal - Weather

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Friday night. I slept til after 7 this morning... and the right knee he worked on has been sore...

Went out and let chickens out of crate. They stayed in the shelter eating and drinking and then when they came out they ran along the side right out back to the thick pines where the chicken hawk cannot fly into.
I took the meters and the hoses out of the car, put them in the carport in the storage thing, since I won't be needing them for a few days. Came back to the front porch and the buff hen was right there headed for the holly tree since there is some brush around the bottom of it... Don't know where she had been... but she was not going out in the open so she knows. I remember I found that bunch of buff feathers one day and had thought she was "toast"... so that hawk must've tried to grab her also and she got into some overgrown grass and weeds.
Of course DS didn't bring the gun back this morning... he finally showed up with it after dark... and dropped it off... he was on the da$#%d phone the whole time... said I'll call you later which I knew was BS...

He never mentioned going to get the car.... never heard from him all day.... and I had stopped at the garage earlier because the fan on the car just fixed was making a noise... mechanic tapped the cover and it quit whining... he said they do that on occasion, and if it made the noise again to just tap on the cover under the pass side dash... and I said I was going to try to get a ride back to get the other car and he said that they might just drop it off if they had to go to the parts store ... he said they make that trip several times a day some days... and if it was at the house then I would know they had a chance to do it.

So, I hadn't mentioned the phone situation yet since I was really not in love with the new phone. I did go back and get the foldable flip phone... and had 2 weeks to decide. I have been wrestling with it... and kept it past the 2 weeks so it is mine. I am not in love with it. Too much crap that I prefer to be on the computer at the desk using... but it would erase all the contacts everytime I manually shut it down. I was beyond Pi$$ed off with it. Took it to the Verizon store; I had it activated and the young guy was great helping me get "started" on it a couple weeks ago. But this time I was not happy at all... and he was off that afternoon... and after doing a few things there, the guy who waited on me said I needed to go back to Best Buy where I got it as it was not a Verizon thing; it was the phone.
So, today I made a special trip up there to have the "geek squad" as they call their techs, look at it. Was supposed to make an appt but I didn't realize it... but they weren't busy and had time before the next scheduled appt... so took me after a simple process for another walk in customer.

He went in and changed some setting and then asked about having the numbers "stored" in a google account so if anything happened to the phone, they could be retrieved and put into another phone. Otherwise he could set it to just be stored on this phone... much like my old flip phone... but if the battery went dead or is got damaged and would not turn on there would be no way to retrieve them... and of course you cannot buy a battery for when the old one stops holding a charge like my old phone.... So I finally agreed to have a google account (g.mail) so that the numbers can be retrieved in case of this phone "going bad". He did say that android phones were better than iphones because everything on an iphone can only go through apple... androids had more flexibility for "fixing" some things on them... more apps available... and that one reason they stopped having removable batteries was just to make people buy new phones every few years, to "upgrade" to more complicated technology, and to make sure they could not be "worked on"....this is an android...

I'm still not in love with it after over a month with it. Doubt I ever will be. The size works okay, although bigger than the flip phone, as it will slide in the pocket... it is very "slick" so slides off anything that is not level. I do not put anything else in that pocket now so as to not scratch it... it is still too big to be comfortable in my hand. I cannot use it one handed like my old phone either... At least now when I turn it off and then back on the contacts are still there. I have so many numbers for farmers' cell phones and their wives phones and things like that... equipment dealers.... all sorts of stuff that I might only use once in awhile but want to have handy.... You cannot get a "protective cover " for it since it folds... I actually use a "coozy" to slide it into in the car so it will not get scratched when not in the pocket.
Hate typing on it for texts... even "enlarged", the letters are too small and close together and I have so many spelling mistakes. I know that takes some getting used to also...
I had never had a cell phone before the one I just had to give up... but I liked it from the beginning because it felt comfortable and it was not complicated. I could type out a message pretty fast even with there being 2-3 letters "per number" .... I have never liked using DS's phone and it is bigger than this one... I am not sold on this one either. But the "normal flip phones" that you can still get are bigger and too thick and feel "cheap"... except for the "hi impact ones that are supposed to be indestructible" and they are just too thick and bulky.

So that is the saga of the "new phone" and trying to make it at least "work" for me. I am still looking at phones so that if I find one that is smaller and more comfortable, I might change back.... but they told me when I got this one, once they deactivated my old one, because of the 3G status, that even if I didn't like this one in the 14 day trial, that I could not get the old one reactivated, but would have to go to something else, because it would have to be able to use the new 4 and 5 G systems. It would be dead before the end of this month anyway.....

So after I just came on home, didn't feel like doing anything and didn't even stop at the stockyard to see what cattle were doing. Got home and the red forester was here in the driveway for me... so don't need a ride to go get it.

I went out and crated the 3 chickens, and then came in. Then DS showed up with the gun a little bit later... I haven't eaten and should make something but not in the mood to do much.

Just got a text from DS about going to look at Christmas lights tomorrow night... not sure I want to go in a vehicle with a bunch of people.... maybe if I go once then they will stop asking... I am just not in the mood to go anywhere with them.....

Got to get up and go test in the morning... supposed to be some showers coming through this evening...clearing off tomorrow and decent for a day or 2; already put the trays of sample bottles in the car. I am going to go by the laundromat and wash a big load of jeans and some sneakers and bulky sweatshirts all in one big load... the sneakers wash so much better in the tumble type machines instead of the agitator one like I have..... the basket is in the back of the car ready to go also.

Supposedly there is a closing set on the house on NH... the other "heirs" have all decided that they don't have any money to contribute to the upkeep of the house through the winter... it has been funded from money from the sale of the vehicles and all that this spring... and you all know that lawyers don't work for nothing... but there hasn't been any out of pocket for any of them so far; now they are having to face up to having to come up with money for the taxes and ins and then minimal heat and snow plowing and all through the winter... da#n the sorry bunch of them.... DS and my brother are so done with dealing with them.
Still have not heard back from my sister..... from back when I went up to get the truck and Marji offered to go get the cookbooks... sister has not returned her calls either. But she has had time to make another trip to Fl to her daughters' to see the baby again.... just no time to return a phone call....

Time to eat a little something and go to bed. 3:30 will come early.....

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Phones!!!! I'm 2-3 months into mine. More comfortable with it BECAUSE it was that or almost nothing. Certainly not back to the old 3g we both liked. Mine is now just an alarm clock under my pillow 😫. I find new capabilities, by accident 🙄, and you will too. Figure no need to stay angry about it....another change forced upon us :rolleyes: :old but it hasn't been a pleasant one. Mine isn't the flip. Sized bigger than I want...I've begrudgingly adjusted. I try to think of it as a smaller tablet than the one I use everyday. Helps.

I've had issues now with my tablet to deal with. Since the phone has capability for "hotspot" I gave up my dish internet. Saved that $ and it was kinda lousy anyway. Plus side -- I have net anywhere. Down side -- updates changed several things on my tablet programs! 🙄🤔😲😫😵‍💫. Surprise! BOO!!!

I'm real glad I had made a list of login/passwords, etc. Then had several notices from banks, CC, etc as I logged in to pay, or, that my device was no longer recognized. A lot of proving who, again. :thresetting and such crap. Been a trip!

Your vehicle return worked well!! 😁👍. That's a plus.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I always kept a backup list on paper, in a file (the old times kind, we’re talking Manila folder, not the cloud) I need to make another list, have moved too much, can’t find it. I kept a list on computer, it’s broke, needs to go in shop. I passed on a chance to buy a brand new laptop on super sale, because I didn’t want to put it on a credit card. Trying to be responsible and pay off what I have on them now. And what did I just do??????
I’ll tell y’all Tuesday. I’m afflicted.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sat nearly noon. It is still wet and rainy out there but not raining as hard as it was when I got up to go to work. It was a real steady kind of rain earlier. I did put the rain gauge back out last night since it was supposed to be in the mid 40's.... will check it later. Got down to 44 overnight, it is 51 now and doubt it will hit 55 unless the sun comes out later. It has gotten breezier than it was earlier.

Went to the farm, and testing went fine. Farmer came to the barn before we were done milking and so when I went in to do the computer stuff, he was there and we talked a bit. He is having a real battle with the colon cancer effects... things looked good several months ago, now not as good, and the chemo has kicked his butt. He goes in for surgery in 10 days, they are going to remove a piece of the colon, where the tumor was and where there is alot of scar tissue from the radiation, because they cannot get a clear picture now like it was 4 months ago. If all goes well, and they don't find anything, it will heal, he will have a colostomy bag, then they will go back in and reattach the colon together and he ought to be good to go once that heals. It is hard to see it... I have been testing them for over 30 years.... he is 10 yrs younger than me.
Left the farm and went and got some breakfast and went to laundromat and did the big load of jeans and sneakers and sweatshirts..... Since the sun is supposed to come out and the clouds and rain be done here in a few hours, I want to hang them out and they will have tonight and tomorrow to dry. I have some white clothes in the machine here that I soaked that I am going to run through so they can get hung too. Fore cast is to be decent Sun and Mon and then showers coming back in for a few days mid-week.

Went out and let chickens out of the crate and the buff hen was in the shelter and scooted out the back again, but at least she didn't run for the corner.... brought the samples in the house and filled the sink up with hot water to soak the dishes. Going to get them washed up here in just a little bit.

I am tired, didn't sleep real good... I might try taking a nap if it doesn't clear up outside soon.
Talked to another farmer that i had texted a few days ago... he apologized for not getting back to me... and we set up testing for him next Thursday aft. I have a bunch more on the list to get lined up.
Got to call the farm that wants to send another tank sample... but I am not going to go get it until Monday morning. Samples won't go out until then and I don't feel like dealing with him today. Monday will be soon enough to go get the sample, to send.

This rainy weather has shoulder aching and knees are a little sore still. Oh well, the fun of being "in my prime" :old:he:barnie:th:gig:lol:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Ridgetop is an inspiration to us, she’s in her prime of life! Heck fire, all we need are a few replacement parts here and there and we’re good as new!

A rainy day, and you went to work this morning. Sounds like you will be busy for part of the day, but try to kick back a little and let it rain.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sunday late afternoon. It has been partly cloudy, more clouds than sun really, chilly.... 32 to start but only up to 47 for about an hour.... back down to 36 now and sun is going down. Going to get cold tonight.

I never got a nap yesterday, but the samples are packed to go except the tank sample I have to pick up from the other farm tomorrow; I texted him and said I would be by on Monday for the sample as I was shipping samples Monday afternoon. I puttered in the house, did a bunch of monthly bill paying on line and setting up the payment dates etc. It stayed cloudy and foggy after the rain stopped, but was damp all day.

I let the chickens out and then put them in late. Then left to meet DS to go with them to see Christmas lights. Turns out, no one bothered to tell me, it was a place they were going... it is a camp for underpriviledged children and special needs children... they do a couple "fund raising" programs and this is one. I don't know what the tickets cost, DS GF got them and I guess she got extras... so I was extended an invite... Unfortunately, because I was not told exactly what they were doing, I wasn't dressed as warm as I could have been... and so by the end I was a little chilled. It was nice, had different lights and things like the grinch and his "house"... ornament for each ticket holder to decorate and gingerbread cookie for each to frost and all... some pets to visit in the barn, a "santa's" place to sit on santa's lap for the children to tell what they want... a couple of stops along the winding walks between exhibits with snow machines .... fun things for the kids. Took about 1 1/2 hrs to go through the whole village thing. It was nice enough, not sorry I went...

But when I got home last night I felt the chill and this morning had more congestion again. Today's cold cloudy day hasn't helped. I took a mucinex this morning and have been feeling the drain.
Ate a bowl of hot cream of wheat this morning. Went out and let the chickens out of crate. Had to put some feed into feeders and will have to fill the bucket next time down to the feed bin

Checked the rain gauge and we had another .3 inch. Ground is soggy as with the cold temps it does not get soaked in near as fast.
Hung the jeans out today after it cleared out a bit and hit a few rays of sun. Then I finished running the white clothes through, and went out and hung them later this afternoon. Glad that I soaked them as the socks looked alot whiter. It looks like 3 or 4 loads out there... so glad I went and did the big load of jeans and all yesterday. We are supposed to have more of the partly cloudy day tomorrow and then some rain/showers rest of the week. There was a little breeze today and the long sleeved T-shirts I had hung were feeling close to dry. So I expect them to dry pretty good by tomorrow afternoon. I will bring everything in tomorrow and if they need a little extra drying that's fine.
Found a couple of those white coated racks/shelf things that @Baymule dislikes, that came from my parents... and used 2 in the back, laundry room where there is a corner window, and straddled the sink in there and got more of the spider plants in the plastic totes into the window for some sun. It only gets sun late in the afternoon, but it is better than being in the way in the kitchen on the floor.

Have gotten 2 more mice... and I thought I had pretty much gotten all of them as there was not sign of these... on the counters or in the plant or anything. But they obviously are using the little "pathway" between the plants on the floor, and the cupboard standing there.... this is the 2nd one caught on a sticky trap, this week. WORKS for me......

I also found a few things in a box from my parents that I am going to wash. One is a plastic container that was for a loaf of bread... you know the long "white bread" loaves like "Sunbeam"..... and I think it will work great for lasagna noodles .... we'll see. I like getting that sort of stuff into plastic/glass storage containers from the packages from the store.

I am going in to make some soup maybe, something good and hot.... and sit and watch a movie I think. Have had a bit of a headache today and not feeling like doing a whole lot more. I also did work on the lists of cows at the barn. DS and I were talking about the bulls; need to get the ones we want in with the cows that have fall calves.... and without the list last night, I wasn't sure who was where... so this morning I did some updating of the paperwork... texted him who was where as far as I knew... then after several texts back and forth, got them pretty well all figured out. Still don't have all the heifers on the sheet that he has taken to the nurse cow pasture... he took a few odd ones from the barn and they didn't get "recorded"... I am going to have to sit at the pasture and just write down everyone there.... then check against the lists and make sure I know who is there. Some of them will be ready to go with a bull for breeding in June... some will get sold.

So, I am in for the night.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oh, one more thing I spent some time doing.... with the way the economy is going, and with the investment groups I subscribe to, reading many of the commentaries by investors with 20-30-40 years experience... I have not been thrilled with the little I have left in the retirement account. I had moved a good percentage into a very safe "stable value fund"... makes 2% interest... but not tied to the stock market.... But some of the contributions out of my paycheck, that I make, were going into some of the more aggressive choices... it is not much money but I make sure I put in the 5% that the company matches since that is free money every 2 weeks.... however, after all that I have been reading and watching and listening to, I took time today and did some serious looking at, and then moving, much of my small amount of retirement funds, into the stable value fund we have. I also reallocated the way the contributions out of my paycheck are invested.

Yes, the gov't has passed the resolution or whatever it is.... to stop the rail strike... and on the surface that might pacify some... BUT.... and think about this... there is nothing to say that workers won't, and can't, take off more sick days, or just call in... and lack of workers will slow down the rails anyway. The fuel/diesel situation is going to affect rail shipping too.... people are retiring out of railroad work like every other sector of our national workforce.....
And there is talk that the next Fed increase will be 1/2 percent instead of 3/4... but that is STILL AN INCREASE.... it still means an increase in costs for everday living....

The one underlying theme I am reading, is the problems with China and Taiwan..... It is believed in many of the money sectors that this is going to happen sooner than later... in fact maybe in the early part of 2023... if China takes Taiwan over... our semi-conductor source is destroyed. Everything we do that requires a "chip" will be affected. It will drop our economy on it's head.... and could very well put us into a war...
The advice I am reading, some of it inbetween the lines... is to watch and invest in energy stocks... more in things like natural gas... because we will become more dependent on US production if things go south in the world.... and the gov't is going to have to cave once the house gets seated in January.... because we need more production.....plain and simple....and we are going to need something to trade with in the future.

Something to think about.....

Thefarmofdreams

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm sorry you aren't feeling well! I hope you feel better soon. I live on Theraflu when I feel like that.. .something about hot, tea-like medicine makes it feel more effective. It's probably all in my head, but we ALWAYS have some in the house. Soup is definitely the way to go! We made a big pot of leftover turkey soup this week. And I bought a spare turkey at the store while they're on sale... so there will be more in the not-to-distant future. Wish I could share!

Latest posts