Fat or just matronly?

BellaM

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hello everyone... My NDG is 5y.o (those aren't her babies - she's their granny 😊) and has kidded 4 times. They all free-range and have goat pellets twice a day. (I don't like giving them all their food at once because it attracts birds). They generally don't finish ALL their pellets so I don't think I'm overfeeding them but a comment from another goat lady has me wondering if she's overweight? So my question is, how can you tell if your goats are a healthy weight?
Also, suggestions on how you feed your goats so that there's minimum waste and other critters don't get a free lunch would be appreciated.
IMG-20220726-WA0014~2.jpg

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Very pretty goaties! According to my vet, how much of the ribs you can feel when you run your fingers across determines condition. No feel, fat goat; feel nice round ribs, good condition; sharp ribs, underweight.

Traditionally, dairy goats look thin and bony to me kind of weight... but that is my opinion and only my opinion.

My Nigies have some meat on their bones but I still can feel the ribs. They are spoiled and my vet calls them "petstock".

I think your girl looks just fine. You are coming out of your winter into spring so she is shaggy which can make her looks more matronly. If you can feel her ribs she is fine. Sometimes us older gals just put on a little weight.

Regarding feeding the freeloaders... try giving the goats what they can clean up in 20 minutes rather than leave the uneaten portion out so they munch later.

Vonny

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi Bella .. gorgeous goats! I have two does that have the same access to food as each other .. free range / pellets / lucerne .. and I’m always concerned one is too fat and the other is too skinny! The skinny one is the Queen, so she gets all the food she wants!! 😂. .. my vet’s first question when he saw the larger one is ‘is she in kid’ but both actually look the same all year around! Both seem really healthy and vet didn’t seem to be concerned.

BellaM

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Very pretty goaties! According to my vet, how much of the ribs you can feel when you run your fingers across determines condition. No feel, fat goat; feel nice round ribs, good condition; sharp ribs, underweight.

Traditionally, dairy goats look thin and bony to me kind of weight... but that is my opinion and only my opinion.

My Nigies have some meat on their bones but I still can feel the ribs. They are spoiled and my vet calls them "petstock".

I think your girl looks just fine. You are coming out of your winter into spring so she is shaggy which can make her looks more matronly. If you can feel her ribs she is fine. Sometimes us older gals just put on a little weight.

Regarding feeding the freeloaders... try giving the goats what they can clean up in 20 minutes rather than leave the uneaten portion out so they munch later.

Thank you! I had a feel and she doesn't have any extra padding... I didn't think she was overweight and yes, after 4 pregnancies I'd expect her to have lost her figure 😏

BellaM

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi Bella .. gorgeous goats! I have two does that have the same access to food as each other .. free range / pellets / lucerne .. and I’m always concerned one is too fat and the other is too skinny! The skinny one is the Queen, so she gets all the food she wants!! 😂. .. my vet’s first question when he saw the larger one is ‘is she in kid’ but both actually look the same all year around! Both seem really healthy and vet didn’t seem to be concerned.
Lady Mae has a "bit of a spread" but who wouldn't after 4 pregnancies 😅 ... Thanks for the feedback. I think I just needed reassurance 😊