Favorite breed?

beckyburkheart

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I'll put in another plug for arabs. I love the intelligence, happy willing attitude and the go all day energy.

I have to admit that i hate all the high-end show horse nutjobs and i can end up very much at odds with many of my breed enthusiast peers for acknowledging the problems, issues and distortions we have in our breed.

the horses i have are 'foundation bred" Saudi bloodlines,(BLUE STAR) direct from the desert, many only a few generations from their Bedouin breeding and actually living in tents and riding into battle. and they *are* *different*. I'll just leave it at that.

bluewater rangerbreds

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Well that one's tough for me because I can't decide. Appaloosas for sure are at the top of my favorites, but so are Fjords and Alke teke's. None of these are "the horses I grew up with" as I had quarter horses and grade horses and sale barn horses growing up. but the Appaloosas becasue each one is unique and different in pattern and pretty patterns. Fjords because those stocky dun horses are just cute. And Alke tekes because of the weird metalic shine to their coats.

EventerGirl98

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Boy, that's tough....uhmm.
I like Shetlands, Thoroughbreds, and really every horse actually. :p

FarmersDaughter725

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
3 breeds hve my heart.

Quarter Horses, Paints and Australian Stock Horses.

I've grown up with Paints and QHs as my family bred for awhile. I always showed western and had a QH or Paint by my side. Even when I showed in low level english I rode them. They may not have been the best, but I was proud of them.

I do know a few QHs and Paints that are quite lazy, I'm not a big fan of a lazy horse, but I can make do :)

I fell in love with ASHs when I saw Guy Mclean with Spinabbey. My jaw dropped and I was hooked. :D

Oh, I forgot, I love Appys too. So 4 breeds have my heart. I love how stubborn Appys are. I've had some really sweet Appys in my life that would do anything you asked without a fight.

chubbydog811

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Wow...No Thoroughbred fans here?
I'm an all out TB person. No questions asked. I love their personalities, work ethic, how "hot" they are (which is funny, because I actually haven't found a "hot" TB, but ones that were handled incorrectly or handled by people who didn't know what they were doing), and how they have such a wide variety of what they are good at.
My current TB I use for trails, beach riding, gymkhanas, ski-joring, hunter/jumper, some dressage, and x-country.
Though I have to say, I am more partial to track horses than TBs that were raised normally. I like their lack of "natural" horse herd skills. I can take my guy away from the herd, take his friend away, leave him without friends, and leave him in a stall with out him having a complete meltdown like a lot of horses.

FarmersDaughter725

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I like TBs, but they aren't my favorite. I agree that I love their work ethic. I also love their heart. I have fallen for a few TBs mainly OTTBs. For some reason I prefer QHs, Paints and ASHs.

Symphony

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Its hard to pick a favorite horse breed. I like Paints.

I do enjoy Arabians as well but mostly Crabbet or Polish, though there are a few Egyptian ones that are lovely.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have handled many different breeds at the barn where I work, but my favorites are grazing in my back yard - minis!:love :love :love