feed for pigs

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, what kind are they? Will they be dewormed for you? We live in a very small town. We shop at one grocery store. We ask them once a week for any old veggies for our animals. They are really nice about it. Many farmers go daily. I only ask what kind of pigs because I have mini pigs besides others, and the minis require different feed.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, so they are a bit different, they thrive on oats and molasses. Fresh fruits and fresh veggies. So, this might sound odd..my sister in law has a feed store but we don’t buy it from her. It’s moldy too often. Anyways, she just gave us a pallot of horse feed. I dont have hiporsesand it’s not great for goats but they hate it. I tried giving it to mymini pigs...they loved it! It’s made up mostly of oats and mollass. It’s not sweet feed. It’s Trotter,..horse feed. Perhaps you could try some of that down the line? I don’t know, but my pigs like it and it got what your guy is supposed to eat, but it’s made for horses...odd. Our other pot bellie pigs, they are idler, we give them chicken feed, because they had a weight problem. But, while they are little, stick to their specific needs, but maybe as they grow you can try new stuff?

Yankees99

Just born
Reaction score
i just need a specific answer from someone that raises feeder pigs

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Not a requirement, but they will love it. Pumpkins, watermelon rinds, apple cores, corn cobs from sweet corn....big favorites. As far as that goes, wilted lettuce, bread...like I said if you eat it and its at the end of its shelf life, they will gladly eat it and think they are getting a treat.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I grew up on a 300 sow feeder pig operation. We farrowed 20 litters a week year round, Landrace and Hampshire crosses mostly. Start with a good feed, I don’t know what feed stores, brands, etc you have available, but like I said, I’m not a brand guy. Start them out on a good creep feed and work in other foods as you go. It doesn’t help you for me to say go buy brand x when it can’t be bought within a day drive of where you are.

Yankees99

Just born
Reaction score
like what kind of feed do i use for piglets im new to this so the more info the better

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Young piglets up to about 80 lbs need creep feed. Ask for it at the feed store.
After that put them on a grower/finisher, again just ask for it.

I understand you’re new to it, but asking for a brand is like asking the truck guys Ford or Chevy or the tractor guys Green or Orange. The brand is irrelevant as long as it meets the nutritional needs of the animals. The correct amount of food, a good clean water supply, shelter and good fences are all more important that the brand of the food. I’m not trying to talk down to you. I think the real question should be, what are the nutritional needs of my new pigs? What I outlined above will get that to them. If you choose to ”treat” them with some veggies, fruits, etc. That’s a bonus to them. It’s kind of like dessert for us...I don’t have to have it, but I sure like it once in a while.

Be less concerned with what‘s on the outside of the bag and more concerned with what’s inside the bag.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score