Feeder Pigs

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
So, Bay how often do you anticipate having to do this for your pork?....or are ya Raising them now?
I got pigs last year and raised them over the winter. We took them to slaughter in March 2016. We still have pork in the freezer, it's just me and my husband. Plus we buy beef on sale, we got deer meat in the freezer and we kept half of a lamb we took to slaughter-we sold 2 1/2 of them. So it looks like we need to raise pigs every other year. I will definitely raise them over the winter again, so will be getting pigs again this coming fall.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It was better this summer than it was last summer. The first year was a total bust, second year, much better. Looking forward to the third year! It takes time to build good soil, the longer I garden, the better it will be.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Especially with Sandy soil....dealt with it in Florida....we used shredded news paper and pine bark to mix with for moisture holding....it certainly is a process!!....btw...what do ya think about Durocs...at least I think that is what it was...well, it is a pig...:)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know a lot about the different breeds. I know Durocs are good meat hogs, if you have one or getting one, I think you will be happy with it. I like the heritage hogs, they seem to have better tasting meat. If you get a pig, get two, one gets lonely and will go looking for a friend.