Feeding goat question

Tammyd57

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I think your 'breeder' did you more than one dis-service---that goat doesn't look like a Nubian, it looks like a Nigerian Dwarf. If they gave you the wrong info on the breed, and did not give you enough info to keep her alive--please don't buy your second goat from them.

SonRise Acres

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think your 'breeder' did you more than one dis-service---that goat doesn't look like a Nubian, it looks like a Nigerian Dwarf. If they gave you the wrong info on the breed, and did not give you enough info to keep her alive--please don't buy your second goat from them.

I was thinking the same thing. It doesn’t look like any Nubian baby we’ve ever had. I was thinking Nigerian Dwarf or possibly Pygmy.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree. She is very cute, but definitely not a Nubian. Nubians have that distinctive Roman nose and large pendulous ears. Whether full size or mini, the features should be the same. I have never heard of a Nubian Dwarf breed, but there are so any new breeds and sizes coming out since I stopped doing dairy goats, that it is entirely possible that there is a Nubian Dwarf breed. This kid is not a Nubian though. Clarification someone?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I sell bottle baby goats at about 3 days. I make sure they get the colostrum and have a good start on a bottle and then off they go. When you are looking at 100+ kids being born it is imperative to move them out ASAP. However, I do educate the owner about what, how, and when to feed plus I never sell them just one unless they have others at home. They are also started on cow's milk before leaving here.

Bryon

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
A neighbor down the road has goats and he has been having trouble with his babies dying. He tried bottle feeding some but they didn't make it. In this particular case the nanny had triplets and he was afraid she couldn't take care of them or would reject them. So I offered to take one to help. It has turnded out great so far. He is a ball of energy right now. I am at the point now where I would like to know when and what type of feed to introduce him to. I have read a few different things so I open to ideas.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
A neighbor down the road has goats and he has been having trouble with his babies dying. He tried bottle feeding some but they didn't make it. In this particular case the nanny had triplets and he was afraid she couldn't take care of them or would reject them. So I offered to take one to help. It has turnded out great so far. He is a ball of energy right now. I am at the point now where I would like to know when and what type of feed to introduce him to. I have read a few different things so I open to ideas.
That was kind of you to do that and take care of him :thumbsup

Everett

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
have you tried putting the nipple close to her mouth and dripping a little milk on her nose? make sure you don't squirt it all over her face lol, but just drip it so she can get a taste of it.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bryon Give your baby a little alfalfa hay or grass hay, but not wheat hay. Since it is a buckling you don't want to feed something that is too high in phosphorus, they can get urinary calculi. He will start nibbling on the hay eventually but it may take him a little longer as he has no one to imitate. He needs to stay on the bottle until a minimum of 8 weeks...more is better. I don't feed my kids any pellets or grain until they are weaned, and even then it is mostly hay unless I am pushing them to gain weight.

SonRise Acres

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I sell bottle baby goats at about 3 days. I make sure they get the colostrum and have a good start on a bottle and then off they go. When you are looking at 100+ kids being born it is imperative to move them out ASAP. However, I do educate the owner about what, how, and when to feed plus I never sell them just one unless they have others at home. They are also started on cow's milk before leaving here.

That’s something so many sellers in our area don’t care about ... selling a single to a person with no other goats. I always ask and it’s pretty easy to tell if people have others or not. I hate when sellers don’t even ask me.