female llama will not get up

Morgance Anthony

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Hello. I have read several threads here on llamas not getting up. We have a llama, "Vanilla" here that is approximately 12 to 15 years old. She has been laying in the "kush" position since Monday 9-24-2018. She is eating, drinking water and consuming all her favorite treats. Her eyes are clear, no discharge anywhere, no respiratory issues. She has been losing weight this past year. We have tried several times to get her up rocking her side to side one person pushing and the other one pulling her forward with a halter and lead. She just ends up making some distressing sounds and putting her head straight out on the ground refusing to lift it up. We have tried lifting it up, but she will not hold it up. She will eventually lift it back up on her own.

Of course she is pooping and peeing where she lays which is never good and any species. We are having a neighbor come over with his bobcat tractor so we can get her in a standing position with some belly straps to exam her and evaluate her ability to stand on her own.

We live in an area where equine veterinarians no longer do house calls for llamas and other livestock animals. We live in Vista, California.

I don't want Vanilla to suffer. Does anyone have any experience with how long a llama can stay in this position and what I can do to make her more comfortable? We have been rolling her on her side to move and massage her legs, sides and belly. I have been applying acupressure points, rescue remedy, homeopathy remedies and iron/vitamin B supplements.

Any suggestions is most appreciated.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH from NE TX! So glad you joined us. Sorry it's a distressing situation with your llama that brought you here. I don't know how many active users here presently have llama experience... sorry... But, there's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. POerhaps something will be helpful. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me will never remember & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

Morgance Anthony

Herd lurker
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH from NE TX! So glad you joined us. Sorry it's a distressing situation with your llama that brought you here. I don't know how many active users here presently have llama experience... sorry... But, there's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. POerhaps something will be helpful. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. I recommend at least your state as most folks won't be able to figure out where if you put anything more specific (county, town, street, etc) by itself. Old folks like me will never remember & look there first. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!
Thank you so much. I've been reading several posts on llamas that have a lot of great information. This looks like a great site, so glad I found it.

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is a tough thing, the fact that she has been down, and that she refuses to get up for so long is quite concerning. I will be honest in saying Im surprised she is still alive after being down for that long. You mentioned that she is older, which makes me think it may be age. With our alpacas we noticed that when they get into their teens their health can quickly start detioriorating regardless of how you care for them, some things just happen.

It could also very well be due to parasites for as you mentioned she is losing weight. Also with camelids when they go down it normally means they are unfortunatly too far gone. As in large herd settings they hide their illness until they cannot anymore, as they are prey animals.

I have a few different things I think it could be. First being barber pole worm which would cause her to loose weight and become anemic. Research how to do famancha, and check her lower eyelid. If its white you have a problem.
My second thought is meningeal worm, its a neurological parasite very difficult to treat. They cannot be seen in fecals and you really only see symptoms once the damage is done.

I wish I could have better news for you and Vanilla but I pray for you both :hugs

LibraryLady61

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I know that this is an old post, but whatevery happened to your llama? I have one that sounds very similar.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know that this is an old post, but whatevery happened to your llama? I have one that sounds very similar.
Sorry but that original poster only posted about the llama and never came back on here after that...

We have had a couple llamas to run with the sheep, but by 10-12 years or so, we have lost them and figured it was old age. Also we did not know how old they were exactly when we got them.

Not having a large animal vet that would be willing to see her is tough. I honestly do not have any good suggestions....are there any other llama breeders around you could contact?

LibraryLady61

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thanks! Our llama seems to be coming around. We wormed her, and gave her a barage of boosters - Iron, Vitamin B Complex, Probias, and Bloat Treatment. We used one of our tractor forks to lift her up onto her feet a few times a day. This morning, she got up on her own and is moving around cautiously. Fingers crossed!