Fence Comparison

1littlefarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm looking to acquire a few Nigerian dwarf goats soon and am looking at my fence options. I was going to use the Red Brand 48" horse fence but I saw a Sierra brand field fence (at lowes) that was 1/3 the price. My plan was posts every 8 feet with a top rail. Do you think I could get away with the Sierra?

I'm a strong believer in "you get what you pay for" but I've also been known to buy things that are a little "more" than they need to be.

And is 7,500 sq ft enough room for 3 NGDs?

Thanks!

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I like that it is made in the USA. Are the squares the same size as red brand? couldn't tell on the lowes website, but it seems to get good reviews.

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have a feeling that you are not seeing something right with the price if the sierra is 1/3 price of Red Brand. Both brands come in 100' rolls in 330' rolls. I suspect the price of the seirra is for a 100' roll and the redbrand is 330'. The Seirra is cheaper, but NOT 1/3 of the price. I just checked lows web site. Also the Red Brand is a heavier gauge wire.

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
oh...I see the problem. You are comparing Redbrand horse fence with has 2" x 4" hole spacing to Sierra fence which is field fencing. It's got BIG openings because it's not intended for goats, but cattle. Goats can walk right through it, especially kids. If you want to go a little cheaper than horse fence, look at the sheep and goat fence. It's got 4" x 4" spacing. a 330' roll at lowes is $240 (special order in my area) or $289 at Tractor supply

I have always used Red Brand and love it. It's made in the USA too.

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
IME there are not many real "deals" to be found on livestock fencing, except at auctions or secondhand. It's all about the same price (once you account for gauge and length and wire spacing). Minor differences only. And not something that typically goes on big sale either (most I've ever seen is 25% off)

You have to be real careful you are comparing the same gauge and length and wire spacing. And that they're what you want.

I have the Red Brand small livestock fencing, the holes are what maybe 4" (a little larger in the top half of the fence), I forget the actual numbers. I would not trust it vs coyotes/dogs as much as I'd trust 2x4 though, since the holes are larger and it is not impossible to slide the knots to make holes larger still... I use it only for day pasture not for their night yard.

Pat

1littlefarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
carolinagirl said:
oh...I see the problem. You are comparing Redbrand horse fence with has 2" x 4" hole spacing to Sierra fence which is field fencing. It's got BIG openings because it's not intended for goats, but cattle. Goats can walk right through it, especially kids. If you want to go a little cheaper than horse fence, look at the sheep and goat fence. It's got 4" x 4" spacing. a 330' roll at lowes is $240 (special order in my area) or $289 at Tractor supply
Yep, that must be it. A lot less wire to make a much cheaper fence.

...And that's why I asked.

Thanks, Y'all!

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Yup, get the best you can afford. I've got the Red Brand horse fencing as my perimeter fence and I have NO regrets whatsoever. I have some of the "goat" fencing from TSC as cross-fencing within that, and in one day my young buck tore up two sections of it. Now my kids are starting to get their heads stuck in it and I have to check on them often.

Remember that your fencing needs to not only keep your goats in, but also keep predators out. If you run a hot wire on the top, dogs won't climb it. If you suspect predators might dig, you can also run a hot wire around the outside, down low. I found a spot last year where something dug under (something small, after my hens) and I just ran a wire down from the top wire, across the area of the digging, nice a low, and baited it with cooking grease from meat. No problems since.

1littlefarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
But while we're on the subject... The goat fencing has 4x4 holes and the no climb horse fencing has 2x4 holes. For NDGs should I get the 2x4 as the kids might be able to get out through the 4x4?

I have the Red Brand small livestock fencing, the holes are what maybe 4" (a little larger in the top half of the fence), I forget the actual numbers. I would not trust it vs coyotes/dogs as much as I'd trust 2x4 though, since the holes are larger and it is not impossible to slide the knots to make holes larger still... I use it only for day pasture not for their night yard.
Since you brought up coyotes, if I use the 2x4 fence could I leave them out in an open structure at night or should I always close them up? I know a lot of people leave their goats "out" but I'm used to my chickens where if I don't close them up they become someone's snack.

carolinagirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I agree....hot wire is worth it's weight in gold. I'll be running a strand on the outside near the bottom to keep predators from digging in, one on top to keep them from jumping over and one on the inside about 12" up to keep my animals from destroying my fences. Although I have sheep this time and I don't think they are quite as hard on fences as goats are.

This is the first time I have used redbrand sheep fence and I am really impressed with it. It's nearly impossible to push the vertical wires over to make holes larger. I don't know if it's how they are wrapped or what, but even using tools I could not get that wire to move. This is also a really nice looking fence too. It's well worth the additional cost.