Fencing for rotational grazing

DustyBoot

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Been thinking, and here's my latest idea. 7 or 8 goats (1 buck kept penned with a wether to keep him company, and 5 or 6 does). One jersey cow, and we breed her to a friend's good Dexter bull for a beefier calf and also pick up a bummer calf for her to raise, and hopefully have a bit of milk left for us (milking once a day). There's a dairy not far from here and I've talked to him before about the possibility of buying a cow from him. Figure we could get one a little older and more docile, but well bred.

We have ~12 acres to use for ag. A little of that is "improved" rather than native pasture, according to records. The county says 1 cow-calf pair or 7 goats per 5 acres of native pasture (or 4 of improved pasture). I figure 7 goats, one cow-calf pair, and one extra calf seems about right. Still hoping I can get in touch with the ag extension guy, but not holding my breath.

I was walking around yesterday thinking through things, and I really think there's a lot for goats down in the woods. It may be that eventually they clear it out to the point where it's no longer goat territory, and if that happens we can reconsider our stock. Maybe hair sheep at that point. But I think there's enough there to keep goats going for a while. It's pretty dense stuff. Oak and Pecan with undergrowth galore... poison oak as tall as I am.

Does that sound feasible at all, at least for getting started? Maybe I should ask over in the cattle forum about the likelihood of the nurse cow thing working out.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
There's quite a bit of info already in the cattle section. By all means spend some time over there and ask any questions you might have. For the Ag Exemption stuff, you'll need to contact your appraisal district. They're the ones who set tax value and compute the Ag stuff. The extension agent is really for on-site property and animal improvements/recommendations/etc. Really, you can do whatever you think works best for you and meets any requirements you might have to abide by, and then adjust over time. :D