Fencing ideas for sheep?

Tjcib

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Rolls of actual sheep fencing are a much cheaper option and will contain your lambs too. Some folks offset a hotwire at the bottom and top to deter coyotes or to keep LGD from digging out.

CP seem like a pretty quick build but they are harder to conform to the landscape, are more expensive than regular fencing, and harder to join together unless you order those squiggly connectors, which can get a bit pricey for a whole field. For a roll of Red Brand woven wire that's 330 ft, you pay $140, for enough CPs to cover the same length, you'll pay~on average of $20 a panel~$206.

And here we are 2 years later and that roll of woven wire is now $300. Sad days...

But great thread. I am learning a lot and we have a guy coming to look at helping me set up perimeter fencing this week.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you are fencing for sheep with lambs, and to keep in goats and kids.... and to contain adult chickens, you have to use 4x4 sheep fencing instead of the normal field fencing that is 6" stays...( or the 2x4 no climb but that is expensive) and do not go with 12" stays as animals will put their heads through and the stays will get stretched side to side and next thing there are actual HOLES that we have had calves manage to get through. And here the rolls of fencing are $350 and up for the better quality ones. Fencing will last 25-40 years if it is good fence and put up right. Make sure there is either electric on top or a strand of barbed wire for anything that can reach over.... and use electric near the lower part to keep animals off the fence so they don't rub and stretch it out... plus it teaches them to respect electric and then can be taught to respect the electric that you use for cross fencing/rotational grazing.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
and to contain adult chickens, you have to use 4x4 sheep fencing instead of the normal field fencing that is 6" stays.
Agreed. I learned the hard way that a fox can get through a 6" hole ... and drag an adult large fowl hen back through