FergusonK's journal - Goodbye Java Jewel.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
OUCH! I looked like that allll over today, lol! And, smelled like piggy mud - ugh.... I like your pens - are they all getting hoop tops?

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
They are all getting hoop tops.

I will be wrapping the pens with hardware cloth on the top and chicken wire around the pallets.

@Bruce the way I see it, if a predator gets through the dogs it deserves the bird it claimed.

The Ayam Cemani will be going in coop Knox though. Don’t want to even RISK it with them. To rare. To expensive.

Created Cream Legbar, Lakenvelder, Kraienkoppe, and SSH are in pretty tight pens. They’re rare too. The Java’s are secured behind chainlink, critically endangered species deserve all the chances they can get st survival.

My Java’s:

0CFD5553-B4A2-4331-9076-2AC634875C3E.jpeg
601A04E8-814C-43AD-B484-F949745283C4.jpeg
B6614AD6-8E5B-48A0-BA96-E1F261F18DCA.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your website looks good. The white lettering is a little hard for me to read. I'm old, LOL I like black print.....BIG and easy to read. :lol: the font size is good. On the Australorps, you have Austria as country of origin. I thought it was Australia?

I wish you the best with your poultry. Poultry is your first love and it is nice to see you get back to the birds you love so much.

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule hey we met because of Poultry!

Your girls aren’t with me anymore. Lost the last one of them over the summer. Not sure where she went. :idunno

You’re also right. Aussies are Australian.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hmm it looked ok on my phone but i dunno exactly what your wanting
@misfitmorgan It's not the header or the information that seems to be the problem. The problem is the text keeps reverting back to the actual header of the page. For now I've given up on getting it corrected. I'll get it fixed eventually. I've got other things to work on with my minimal time off, and getting some chicken coops built for the breeds that are all crammed together has been my focus today. Hah!

It looks fine on my phone but i dunno what your wanting it to look like per say. Everything seems in place and easily readable on the mobile.
Screenshot_2017-12-22-06-29-54.png

Screenshot_2017-12-22-06-30-09.png

So I’ve been working on pallet coops the last two days. Got farther than I thought I would. Need to get them done ASAP I’ve got 30ish birds running around loose.

Need to finish before breeding season starts back up. Broke two nails today. Farm-her problems.

View attachment 41382 View attachment 41383 View attachment 41384 View attachment 41385

The coops look like they are coming along great!! I always thought about doing pallet stuff but DH is pretty against it.....he works at a pallet shop.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bruce the way I see it, if a predator gets through the dogs it deserves the bird it claimed.
Ah yes, I forgot you have multiple dogs. The "active" protection against ground predators that get through the fence (if they are so stupid as to do so).

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
Funny story on the predator thing, and I have several.

A few weeks back I was feeding in the dark and on the phone with @samssimonsays . There was this ungodly screaming sound (from the chickens) and I hurriedly hung up on her to go find out what it was.

I had 5 dogs in tow who were immediately off to the sound of the screams.

Before I could cross the yard they had reached the scene of the crime. A raccoon had pulled the wire back and was pulling a chicken out. Chicken was dead (head ripped off). Sully grabbed it and crunched it like a bad of potatoe chips before it had time to react to the rapidly approaching dogs. They then took turns shredding the poor thing. All that was left was some fur and teeth when Connie and Maddie were done with it.

Good dogs.

Called Sam back and promptly sent her a picture of the raccoons remains.

Finished feeding and went inside.

There has only been one time when I was out in the dark feeding that I did not feel comfortable, and that was because the dogs were off barking at something in the property behind the house. I heard the dogs get into a fight with whatever it was and heard lots of ripping and roaring with what was followed by what I would call a banshee cry. I do believe the dogs got into it with a cat, and I’m not talking to house cat or a bobcat. The two dogs that were with me that we’re not LGD’s ran back for the house and whined, wanting back inside. I took that as my cue to go inside and grab the gun but by the time I came back out with the spotlight the three heroes we’re back on the front porch satisfied that they had gotten rid of the predator.

I didn’t feel comfortable outside for days after that. Always felt watched and the dogs stayed on high alert.

Eventually whatever it was moved on and all was calm in the world again.

But yes. I have a lot of dogs. I don’t even want to count them.

Latest posts