Finnie- Finally A Journal

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
You definitely earned a return trip Lowes. šŸ‘ especially since there are empty spots for pansies!
GOOD PLANNING! šŸ˜‰
I turned over 2 of my garden boxes (4x4 raised beds) - added in shredded alfalfa stems the sheep left behind, miracle grow soil, steer manure and topsoil. I've got a bunch more boxes to go, but have to pull whatever veggies are growing in them - and they're not ready to pull. Put a tomato plant in one of the boxes. I ~think I'll plant the garlic that I just got from Baker Creek in one of the boxes.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well I did my errands today. Crumbl store was first!
04CAE9EF-14E3-4F7A-91D6-AFC0545951AE.jpeg

Then Lowes. Not a plumbago or Pansy in sight. šŸ™‡ā€ā™€ļø Looks like they filled almost the entire place with mums. :rolleyes: But, I found a smallish mum on the clearance rack that I can plant in front of my mailbox. Last week when I went to plant one of my large mums there, I found that there wasnā€™t enough space next to the asphalt road to fit it in. Iā€™m sure I can squeeze this small one in.

I also found two little zebra grass plants that I can use to extend my zebra grass line along the west side of my property. I really love when the setting sun slants through them. In fact, thatā€™s what my avatar photo is!

Oh! And I also succumbed and bought 4 more African violets. šŸ˜¬ šŸ˜‚ 3 of these are repeats for me, but I didnā€™t have them anymore, so, yeah. Then the 4th one is purple, but it has a thin edging of white around the petals. That is pretty unique. Their violets were neglected, dried out and in sad shape. A lot of broken leaf stems. I decided I would just set all the broken leaves and grow baby plants if I can. I also took two broken leaves from another plant I didnā€™t buy, because they were broken off, so I figured it would be fine. Donā€™t know if those ones will root, because they were pretty dried out, but there is a chance.

And then since Iā€™m running out of places to keep my violets, I checked out LED light strips. I have a 4-level shelving unit in my basement that used to be my Budgie breeding unit. Since I quit breeding caged birds a few years ago, I dismantled it, and now I can set it up as a violet shelf. But it will need lighting.

450B7E96-5525-4CCC-81CE-CBA3C69B94EF.jpeg

So not finding pansies at Lowes, I decided to check Menards. They had 3 6-packs! Only $6 each. (So $1 per plant) But all they had left was yellow. Oh well, at least it was something. (And they had different LED light strips, too, so I got more.)

Still hoping to find better pansies, I went to the other Lowes that is east of me. Same story there. Lots of mums and not much else. And they had all the same violets. If I had waited, I could have gotten nicer plants that werenā€™t neglected. Oh well.šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø Bought nothing at this Lowes. Went on to the Meijer next door, andā€¦. Pansies!! Lots of them. A little bit more per plant, but not as bad as I was expecting.
2A9B2FEE-15F5-4EF3-9E4C-51987362363D.jpeg

There is an Aldi on this side of town, but I decided to just get blueberries and creamer while I was at Meijer and skip Aldi. And I wanted a bag of salad. I got the creamer, and a few other assorted things, but I didnā€™t like Meijerā€™s price on blueberries and their salad looked too far gone, plus Meijer doesnā€™t have the nice shape milk boxes like Aldi does. So, I will be going to Aldi on a different day. No hurry for any of that stuff. As long as I got my coffee creamer! :gig

Todayā€™s plant haul:
930443CA-A176-40EF-8FE3-0060F6B7B8F0.jpeg

665C3BA2-FC58-46E5-8742-0B5C26E7EF60.jpeg
9315F7BB-8D5E-44E7-A577-30188EB8A2E3.jpeg

One of the areas I planted some of last weekā€™s mums and plumbagos:
28B50C06-4B8B-45D6-8294-E0C6C9D8F29B.jpeg
01915275-71D7-4AA2-A437-6F9AE88B6299.jpeg

That pink rose I planted a couple years ago. Itā€™s called ā€œMarc Chagallā€. I really love it. But I donā€™t think it gets quite enough light in that spot to bloom very well.

Hereā€™s a closeup:
DD9511C0-9068-4EA6-AEEE-7F6507002BFA.jpeg

9AE04919-01E9-472C-B0BB-C856F75C8F1D.jpeg

Iā€™m at my 10 picture limit, so I guess I can shut up for tonight! :gig

Last edited:

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well I did my errands today. Crumbl store was first!
View attachment 101751
Then Lowes. Not a plumbago or Pansy in sight. šŸ™‡ā€ā™€ļø Looks like they filled almost the entire place with mums. :rolleyes: But, I found a smallish mum on the clearance rack that I can plant in front of my mailbox. Last week when I went to plant one of my large mums there, I found that there wasnā€™t enough space next to the asphalt road to fit it in. Iā€™m sure I can squeeze this small one in.

I also found two little zebra grass plants that I can use to extend my zebra grass line along the west side of my property. I really love when the setting sun slants through them. In fact, thatā€™s what my avatar photo is!

Oh! And I also succumbed and bought 4 more African violets. šŸ˜¬ šŸ˜‚ 3 of these are repeats for me, but I didnā€™t have them anymore, so, yeah. Then the 4th one is purple, but it has a thin edging of white around the petals. That is pretty unique. Their violets were neglected, dried out and in sad shape. A lot of broken leaf stems. I decided I would just set all the broken leaves and grow baby plants if I can. I also took two broken leaves from another plant I didnā€™t buy, because they were broken off, so I figured it would be fine. Donā€™t know if those ones will root, because they were pretty dried out, but there is a chance.

And then since Iā€™m running out of places to keep my violets, I checked out LED light strips. I have a 4-level shelving unit in my basement that used to be my Budgie breeding unit. Since I quit breeding caged birds a few years ago, I dismantled it, and now I can set it up as a violet shelf. But it will need lighting.

View attachment 101764
So not finding pansies at Lowes, I decided to check Menards. They had 3 6-packs! Only $6 each. (So $1 per plant) But all they had left was yellow. Oh well, at least it was something. (And they had different LED light strips, too, so I got more.)

Still hoping to find better pansies, I went to the other Lowes that is east of me. Same story there. Lots of mums and not much else. And they had all the same violets. If I had waited, I could have gotten nicer plants that werenā€™t neglected. Oh well.šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø Bought nothing at this Lowes. Went on to the Meijer next door, andā€¦. Pansies!! Lots of them. A little bit more per plant, but not as bad as I was expecting.
View attachment 101765

There is an Aldi on this side of town, but I decided to just get blueberries and creamer while I was at Meijer and skip Aldi. And I wanted a bag of salad. I got the creamer, and a few other assorted things, but I didnā€™t like Meijerā€™s price on blueberries and their salad looked too far gone, plus Meijer doesnā€™t have the nice shape milk boxes like Aldi does. So, I will be going to Aldi on a different day. No hurry for any of that stuff. As long as I got my coffee creamer! :gig

Todayā€™s plant haul:
View attachment 101754

View attachment 101759View attachment 101760

One of the areas I planted some of last weekā€™s mums and plumbagos:
View attachment 101768View attachment 101766
That pink rose I planted a couple years ago. Itā€™s called ā€œMarc Chagallā€. I really love it. But I donā€™t think it gets quite enough light in that spot to bloom very well.

Hereā€™s a closeup:
View attachment 101767
View attachment 101758
Iā€™m at my 10 picture limit, so I guess I can shut up for tonight! :gig
You went whole hog!! What a haul! šŸ˜ŠšŸ‘šŸ¼
Woah didnā€™t know thereā€™s a 10 pic limit! And with all the pics I post Iā€™m surprised I didnā€™t know. Gorgeous violets!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Itā€™s official. You are an African Violet Addict! Happy hunting for more!
Pansies are so cheerful and a bright spot in the fall. The flowers are edible, donā€™t know what they taste like, but sure would brighten up bagged salad!