First foal?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with what everyone has said!! Get a horse you can ride, enjoy and love. For me, I've always love a "spicy" horse but still one who has a good head & isn't a danger.

The first foals I trained from birth to adult were minis! A little cheat but, same issues, just a smaller package. They still tried you. They also had been running with the herd, so much of the "momma said" type correction was there. I can assure you that young horses need discipline -- always use two voices, good horse, bad horse -- they will respond with that very soon, even when loose in a field.

First horse -- get one you can just LOVE and ride. Always time for a young un later.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just to add into what everyone is saying. It sounds like a great idea but you'd have to have a lot of dedication and patience. For a first horse I'd recommend a retired horse from something with some age. If you get them at the right spot with retiring from their old thing the horse should be well trained and still useable.
Hopefully this helps and makes sense.

Horse1029

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Please keep us in the loop, we would love to see what you and up with and we're haooy to help with whatever you decide!
I will, thanks for all the help, really good advice from everyone! :