First Goat- Doe? Buck? Wether?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
A shy goat can go either way. Also a friendly one can turn shy. One of my kids that was very friendly previously is now shy and runs away from me. I did buy some older goats (over 1 year old) that I was hoping would become friendly but never did. But I also don't have children and probably didn't put in enough time. If the wether is friendly, and with having a number of children, I bet the shy goat would come around. Just be patient with her and spend a lot of time with her. Congratulations on your new goats and post pictures when you get them! :D

warthog

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
When I got my goats (15 months ago), I got 7 week old bottle baby buckling, 2 - 10 weeks old doelings and a 4 month old doe.

All were a little shy and skittish, probably not used to much handling.

I just spent as much time with them as I could, talking to them, letting them come to me, they will eventually, curiosity always gets the better of them.

I now have very friendly goats, one would follow me around like a dog, if she was allowed to be out in the yard.

With the childrens time and your time, they should come round quiet easily.

Good luck and lets have some pictures when you get the time. :thumbsup

9byDesign

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Picking up our KIDS in an hour :D!!

Warthog- Would you say you notice any difference in your bottlefed's "tameness" toward people and your 4 month old you got?

9byDesign

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sorry! Busy building the pen :)! Can't figure out how to add pictures here???

ohiogoatgirl

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
i know it's past christmas...
but if you get a wether your kids could train him to pack or harness and once he's big (or if he already is and you train him) then if the kids are small enough they could ride him.

if you would like to know more about it messege me.