first time horse owner!

miniaturefarm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Straw is the "grass" from growing grains like wheat or oats. I think what you are describing is broom sedge. It grows in clumps, grows about 2 feet tall, is very green in summer, leading one to believe that it is nice grass, turns brown golden in fall/winter. Nothing eats it. Mow it, keep it mowed and kill it out. Lime will change the PH and also kill it out. If you mow it down, the other grasses underneath will come on out and grow better.

A good fence is imperative with livestock. How big of an area do you have to fence?
We have about 20 acres or more in the field, an acre should be best for a Shetland pony if I'm correct. I may get 2 ponies though, so I will keep mowing in like a lawn? and wait until it's all dead kind of? and the grasses underneath will be better? sorry for all this confusion the grass out here has always been a problem. The goats didn't eat it either. Thank you!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mow the broomsedge, especially in the early fall or late summer before it goes to seed. Mowing helps the other grasses because the broomsedge shades out the other grasses. Now it down, the sunlight can reach the other grasses and they can grow.

Fence several pastures if you can to rotation graze the pony. If kept in one area ALL the time, he will eventually stomp and eat the grass to the dirt and kill it. Then you have a dust bowl or a mud hole. Ever see a horse or other livestock in a bare dirt lot or small pasture?

Move him to another pasture to give the grass a chance to rest and regrow.