Fishy’s Rabbitry 😊

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Watch some YouTube videos on processing, then get it done. Having a buddy to help process makes it easier and faster. Thank the rabbit for their sacrifice for the food you will receive. It's dismayingly easy to kill a rabbit, you just need to make sure it's quick and as painless as possible.

You can do this, and should know how to dispatch a rabbit humanely if you are going to raise them. What if one of your breeders gets injured and there's no vet available to put them down?

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Process them yourself, it’s not that difficult! Then you’re unstuck!
once you’ve done a batch, you’ll be a pro; really.

Watch some YouTube videos on processing, then get it done. Having a buddy to help process makes it easier and faster. Thank the rabbit for their sacrifice for the food you will receive. It's dismayingly easy to kill a rabbit, you just need to make sure it's quick and as painless as possible.

You can do this, and should know how to dispatch a rabbit humanely if you are going to raise them. What if one of your breeders gets injured and there's no vet available to put them down?

Unfortunately, I would be breaking my city’s laws if I did. And I don’t have any space at all in the house/garage. My Plan B was selling at the fair, livestock auction, and a mentor from BYC. The fair was a no go for me this year due to insane workload; my mentor is MIA, I havent seen her on BYC in a couple of months; as for the livestock auctions, they are held during my work days and Ive never been. A coworkers dad drives the Amish to the auctions so I can try her. Several of the auctions say that the cage will go with the animal and cardboard is not allowed though. Who has a spare cage laying around every time they take livestock to auction? Not me. I need all that I have including my extras. Now that things have slowed somewhat at work I can try to dig deeper into the auctions.

Alasgun

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would have never dreamt a city ordinance would exist; keeping you from butchering your own rabbits on your own place!

Another reason i’m thankful for where i live. 😳

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's absurd that the cage would go with the animal. The auction near me has rows of cages (very beat up), but the animal is transferred from the transport cage to the other cages when they are dropped off. This allows the auctioneer to separate the animals by age/color/gender/etc, whatever makes them into different lots. The auction also sells misc stuff, so you could sell the cage too but it's usually not a package deal, the animal and cage are both auctioned separately.

I would see if you can go to the auction and talk to a few regulars, or reach out to the auction staff, to get more info. If there are Amish around I bet you could pay one to butcher the rabbits for you if you want to go that route. I doubt they would have that same restriction on their property regarding butchering.

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would have never dreamt a city ordinance would exist; keeping you from butchering your own rabbits on your own place!

Another reason i’m thankful for where i live. 😳
Ive never lived anywhere else as an adult while owning any type of livestock, but this makes zero sense to me, too. I dont know what the deal is.

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That's absurd that the cage would go with the animal. The auction near me has rows of cages (very beat up), but the animal is transferred from the transport cage to the other cages when they are dropped off. This allows the auctioneer to separate the animals by age/color/gender/etc, whatever makes them into different lots. The auction also sells misc stuff, so you could sell the cage too but it's usually not a package deal, the animal and cage are both auctioned separately.

I would see if you can go to the auction and talk to a few regulars, or reach out to the auction staff, to get more info. If there are Amish around I bet you could pay one to butcher the rabbits for you if you want to go that route. I doubt they would have that same restriction on their property regarding butchering.
I definitely plan on it now that work has slowed down somewhat. The setup you’re describing is what I imagined a livestock auction for smaller animals would be like. I reread that passage about four times just to make sure i didn't misread anything 🤷🏻‍♀️
Edit:
The passage on the auctions website.

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:woot Sold two more babies! They're 7 mos, but I still call them babies. Now, hopefully the buyer will show today :fl
I have no reason to think they won’t, just being realistic.
Hopefully hubs will let me breed both my does now 🙄🙄
I dont think he understands how a rabbitry works 🤣

Tre3hugger

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:woot Sold two more babies! They're 7 mos, but I still call them babies. Now, hopefully the buyer will show today :fl
I have no reason to think they won’t, just being realistic.
Hopefully hubs will let me breed both my does now 🙄🙄
I dont think he understands how a rabbitry works 🤣
NIce. Good luck!

Fishychix

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:bunnyThey showed up!:bunny
And I got Zelda bred again 🤞🤞. Poor dude though 🤦🏻‍♀️ He had one fall off finally. He was going at her at every angle 😂 Youd think it was his first time ever. Hopefully he’ll be a bit better with my other doe tonight. I want to breed both at the same time since it'll be Maggies first.

Latest posts