1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Our Hearts go out to Notre Dame - Our Featured Thread on our sister site "The Easy Garden"
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Fodder Anyone?

Discussion in 'Feeding Time - Rabbits' started by nawma, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Aug 31, 2013
    WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Loving the herd life

As far as I know, have read, have experienced, anytime you take them off pellets they are leaner and grow slower. Commercial pellets are for max production/ weight gain as possible... so feeding fodder makes fryers fitter. :lol: :p

2. Sep 8, 2013
    nawma

nawma Chillin' with the herd

I fed my rabbits fodder today for the first time. I only gave each one a small square and most of them began to nibble on it right away. Late this evening my hubby checked on them and some had eaten their entire square, some had eaten the green sprouts and left all the roots, and others had eaten half sprouts and half roots. Hoping to find it all gone by morning.

3. Sep 8, 2013
    Beachbunny

Beachbunny Exploring the pasture

Nawma ...over time I have found that they eventually eat the whoe thing root bed n all just takes some time .

Vasara likes this.
  4. Oct 19, 2013
    silver0202

silver0202 Exploring the pasture

I posted a youtube video on my sprouting station... healthier feed at less than half the cost of commercial feed.

I got a small green house from harbor freight tools for under $30 plus a few aluminum baking trays at the 99cent store. Now I can feed my rabbits and chicken a nice chunk of fresh fodder every day. :)

To see the video copy and paste the link youtube.com/watch?v=2haxOZNua7I&feature=c4-overview&list=UUWeKOluQhkeTHkqV5rN_avQ

s.

5. Mar 19, 2019
    Vasara

Vasara Chillin' with the herd

I feed fodder but haven’t been able to produce enough to completely wean off pellets, yet. I’ve been experimenting with barley and wheat. In my experience so far, barley grows faster and taller but wheat grows thicker. I’m thinking I’ll stick with the wheat. I’ve also tried rye but it stinks so no more of that! I also haven’t figured out exactly how much fodder to feed to replace pellets. My rabbits, especially my buck, gets so excited when I give him pellets