Fresh meat here

BarnOwl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello and welcome from Southeast Tennessee!

Congratulations on your move. Your new property looks lovely. :) We are only about 5 miles from the GA line.

Right now we have chickens, goats, and pigs. I have guinea hogs, a smaller docile heritage breed. They are a lot of fun, but I'm probably going to sell or process the pigs and focus just on goats and chickens for the future though.

AgnesGray

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If you want a feeder pig, I think they fail.

If you want a pig that will not eat you if you fall down in their pen, then yes, great choice.
🤣

This is all true. Cracked me up though! We actually keep berkshire/durocs for bacon, but for ground meat which we eat more of, we prefer the kunes, though they're definitely not feeders. And we like that we can step in their pen and they flop over for belly rubs rather than making sure not to trip and fall so they don't eat us. 😂

Last edited:

Ninabl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello and welcome from Southeast Tennessee!

Congratulations on your move. Your new property looks lovely. :) We are only about 5 miles from the GA line.

Right now we have chickens, goats, and pigs. I have guinea hogs, a smaller docile heritage breed. They are a lot of fun, but I'm probably going to sell or process the pigs and focus just on goats and chickens for the future though.
Does that breed make a good "feeder pig"? I'm still learning about pigs and probably still have a few months before I get some. Do you have any pics you could share? Thanks

Ninabl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
🤣

This is all true. Cracked me up though! We actually keep berkshire/durocs for bacon, but for ground meat which we eat more of, we prefer the kunes, though they're definitely not feeders. And we like that we can step in their pen and they flop over for belly rubs rather than making sure not to trip and fall so they don't eat us. 😂
I don't want any breeds that would be dangerous with the kids around. Lol

BarnOwl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Does that breed make a good "feeder pig"? I'm still learning about pigs and probably still have a few months before I get some. Do you have any pics you could share? Thanks
We have ours for feeders. They are a small breed, but we don't eat tons of pork, and still have meat left over from the gilt we processed last year (March 2021). Everyone has different needs though; they're not everyone's cup of tea. They are docile, which was important to me as I need to be able to handle/transport all of my animals on my own (hubs doesn't care what animals I have as long as he doesn't have to do anything, haha). They are slow growing, but they're fun to have around, and I don't think they eat as much as a larger hog. The kids and I love giving them blinky produce from the local food pantry and gathering nuts in the woods to feed them. One of the two will roll over for belly rubs.

Here's a good website for general info.

Here are some pics of ours. They are not as flashy as the kunekunes.

1644328066362.png

1644328102088.png

1644328130105.png

1644328230355.png