Friend has a LLama that was losing a bunch of weight... wormed him....

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I don't know the whole story but he was fine, then started losing weight. He is bones and can't get up for the last 10 days. She has wormed him 2-3 times over a span with Safeguard and Ivomectrian etc... He is eating and poos now look normal, but still very very thin. She pulls him around into the sun during the day and flexes his legs to keep muscle tone....... What else should she do for him? He seems like a fairly young male, not an older one. I though perhaps worming him with Zimertrian Gold encase of tapes, and giving him some good alfalfa hay slowly...... to help him gain and get energy........?

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
How did she worm him? If using Safeguard, did she do 3 days in a row dosed at 10 cc per 100 lbs, wait 10 days and than do 3 days in a row again? Were any fecals done to show what worms he really has? Safeguard and Ivomec don't get all the worms that animals can possibly get. If he has coccidia, then you need Corid. I wouldn't do any more worming until a fecal is done and see what is there.

Also, I'm guessing the stress of worms and worming him has probably given him an ulcer. He should be on ulcer meds like Sulcrafate (Karafate). I would get him on it ASAP.

Really any kind of VERY good quality hay should help with weight gain. Also you could give him shredded beet pulp. I would also give him shots of B complex.

I think the biggest thing now is she really needs a good llama/alpaca vet involved. If he hasn't been up for 10 days, then more problems are going to arise and you are really in a very very bad situation.

I hope he does ok for your friend.

chickenzoo

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you for that info, I will pass it along to her and i also told her of this site. Mine , knock on wood have always stayed healthy so my knowledge is limited......