Funny udder

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
This ewe raised triplets and had a HUGE udder this summer. When we dried her off her udder looked like this. I don't believe it's lumpy but haven't had a chance to handle her recently. Sorry it's upside down but I haven't been able to flip it. It gives you the general idea
5535c86de5a25e4242d97cb4b949cf5c_zps1e034889.jpg

I'm wondering if this just due to having a massive udder or could be due to damage.

Four Winds Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would think it is just because of her mass milk production from having raised triplets! Usually my ewes that have triplets or quads, look pretty much the same when they dry up. Funny though, the same ewes, if they have a single or twins the next year, their bag once dryed up, will shrink back small!
As long as her bag isn't hard or lumpy, is should be fine!!!

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
Thank you, for reassuring me! I was pretty certain she was just having some saggy lady issues but it's nice to knowits fairly normal.

whr

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
lol saggy lady issues. We bought a bred ewe that has an odd shaped udder--looks a bit like your pic. She recently had a set of ten+ pound twins. :) Lambs are bouncy and eating well. Don't seem to have any issues even tho her udder looks "odd".

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
Yeah her udder was down past her hocks. I wish I would have taken a photo of it. It would of made the dairy goat owners on here jealous.

marlowmanor

Reaction score
PendergrassRanch said:
She looks like a ram down there!:lol:
I thought the same thing when I first saw the picture. :hide I just didn't want to risk offending OP by asking if she was sure that was a ewe.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
marlowmanor said:
PendergrassRanch said:
She looks like a ram down there!:lol:
I thought the same thing when I first saw the picture. :hide I just didn't want to risk offending OP by asking if she was sure that was a ewe.
No offense taken. I've done double takes when I'm counting and have come up with an extra ram. :lol: