Fur mites?

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
IMG_20220810_163211.jpgIMG_20220810_163357.jpg

She's lost hair between her shoulders. You can see she's been scratching. I used colloidal silver which healed up cuts Monday. Today she's got the new ones. I noticed the white flakes today in her hair which led me to think fur mites. I read someplace Listerine applied in the area another article said head and shoulders shampoo thinned with water. Anybody ever deal with this?
Listerine sounds easier than using shampoo.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Alaskan thanks cuz I need some help. Old girls hair loss is worse. She's really cut up today. I need to file more than cut her claws. I put Neosporin on it yesterday and today before I used the Listerine. Her scratches look worse. I'm heading out shortly to put colloidal silver on them maybe heal them quicker.
Secondly whatever it is I think it's spread. Young doe from last summer now loosing hair between her shoulders. I treated her also didn't see any scratches so no Neosporin.
I feel bad about it Cookies so darn old she has loose hanging skin between her shoulders. The way it bunches this got really going before I noticed.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don't do rabbits, but I found this. Maybe it'll help.

Thank you.
I took all the loose hay, hair I could get by hand out of the hutches. Saturday I thought I'd hit them all with a propane torch kill everything. Stuff always collects in the corners where it's not easy to reach.
Try and track down some ivermectin. Thanks again.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hope your bunnies are better, especially your old girl.
I never dealt with fur mites. Ear mites, yes, but not fur mites. It stands to reason that ivermectin would knock them out, I used it for pig lice.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I hope your bunnies are better, especially your old girl.
I never dealt with fur mites. Ear mites, yes, but not fur mites. It stands to reason that ivermectin would knock them out, I used it for pig lice.
Thank you. They're doing good. Old Cookie is a trip. Listerine and the clean up worked she's already growing hair back. The young doe never got nearly as bad. Nobody else got it. Knock on wood.
I had gone to tractor supply , lady that worked there talked me out of the ivermectin drugs. I was worried how to figure out how much to use on something weighing 5-10 lbs compared to a cow. She suggested using head and shoulders said it worked for a friend. Listerine and a good cleanup did the job.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Old girl finally left me.
This past week she's been off her feed. Monday and Tuesday she didn't eat each much. Wednesday thru yesterday she perked up a little but still not her. It's for the best. Last winter was tough on her.IMG_20191027_174646071~2.jpg
That's shots from a couple years ago before I took out the divider. She had the whole 8' hutch to herself.
She was 2 1/2 when she was given to me May 2018. Came on a Sunday, left on Sunday. Raining when the girl brought her. Raining as I laid her in the ground.
We had talked about bringing her in the house. Probably should have but I worried about our dog.
Never liked being picked up, battle to trim her nails,
pull the hair on your arms if she wanted attention.
Always ready for a good head rub or a couple of raisins.
I'm gonna miss her for awhile.

Latest posts