Fur sheep?

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m assuming lack of education. I’ve met far too many people who have no idea where milk, meat, or eggs really come from other than that they just appear at the grocery store 🤷‍♀️
Not hard to convince those folks that fur is cruel while overlooking everything else...Or that plastic “meat” is healthy 😝 (I have no problems with vegetarians or people who won’t eat meat for their own personal health or moral reasons, but at least be educated about it - or buy from local people instead of supporting factory farms if that’s possible!)
And don’t even get me started on the extremists that won’t wear wool or other natural fibres because they think shearing or combing a rabbit or goat is cruel :th

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that classes on agriculture, agri-business, and its importance should be required in all states beginning in grade school. Forget all those worthless studies on feminine studies (take note - there are no classes on masculine studies which as a woman I would be interested in!), gender studies, minority studies (which I think just point out differences and cause reverse racism) and a few other courses which don't seem to be anything other than a way of pandering to political correctness.

Classes on agriculture might show where food comes from, teach children that farming and ranching does not "rape" the land, and teach them that America is not entirely responsible for "climate change", "global warming", and world hunger.

Just my thoughts.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Come to think of it, my great aunt had a "mouton" coat. She claimed it was made from newborn lamb. I remember that it was very soft. I don't know whatever happened to it. When she died, my mom got a mink coat with a $4500 price tag still on it, I have it now. I've never worn it. I guess I oughta put it on, the next cold spell and go to walmart wearing my farm boots, jeans and sweat shirt. LOL LOL

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Come to think of it, my great aunt had a "mouton" coat. She claimed it was made from newborn lamb. I remember that it was very soft. I don't know whatever happened to it. When she died, my mom got a mink coat with a $4500 price tag still on it, I have it now. I've never worn it. I guess I oughta put it on, the next cold spell and go to walmart wearing my farm boots, jeans and sweat shirt. LOL LOL

Oh yeah, absolutely! I might pay money to see you in your insulated overalls and mink coat. :lol:

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have a mink stole, fur hat that I think is rabbit died in various patterns (some looks like leopard), and a rabbit coat.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
When she died, my mom got a mink coat with a $4500 price tag still on it, I have it now. I've never worn it. I guess I oughta put it on, the next cold spell and go to walmart wearing my farm boots, jeans and sweat shirt. LOL LOL
I have a milk jacket too. And my grandmother had her mink stole made into a leather and milk coat. Both are hanging in my closet but the heat has done bad things to them. The skins get old, dry out, and split. However when I come to Texas, I will duct tape the hides together on the inside, and wear it around the ranch! Can't wear it anywhere around here because someone will attack me for wearing fur!!! Stupid really, the animals are already dead.
My county has AG classes in elementary thru high school. They raise gardens and chickens.
We have AG classes here in some jr. high/high schools, but they are electives, and do not really teach the business of AG or its necessity.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Can't wear it anywhere around here because someone will attack me for wearing fur!!! Stupid really, the animals are already dead.
Exactly. There is a museum / store in Canada that I follow on FB and have purchased a few things from. They will occasionally sell a lion hide rug or something like that and they always get bashed. All of their items like that are vintage so not killed recently for their pelt but their way of thinking is, this lion died in the 60's, the hide still looks good, would it be better to restore this already dead hide and sell it to someone that wants something like this or to retire or destroy it and have someone go shoot another lion to make their rug.

I personally don't have an issue with people wearing farmed fur, I'm not a fan or trappers because of the suffering that those traps can cause and the fact that they don't even always check traps for days so the animal could starve or freeze to death while afraid and in pain, but fur farmed animals are much like farm raised livestock, they have a reasonably good life and then 1 bad moment in 1 day. My understanding is that most mink are gassed, so they may not even have a bad moment.

I would MUCH rather see someone wearing a real fur than a synthetic one. Synthetic fur is plastic and sheds micro plastics which we all know are becoming a problem pretty much everywhere. Real fur is warmer, sustainable, and can be composted if no longer wanted.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Absolutely!

When mink farms were abolished, did the animal rights activists realize that all those minks would be euthanized? Or care? And a complete group of people lose their livelihoods?

Like the 'spotted Owl controversy years ago when the animal rights activists insisted that logging stop because they said the spotted Owl was endangered by logging old growth forests. After ruining lives and economies across the northwest, it was discovered that Spotted Owls preferred to breed and nest in NEW GROWTH FORESTS. OOPS! :hide Apologies or retractions? Nope!!!

Many "animal rights activists" and so called "ecologists" have no real knowledge of forests, ecology or animals. They just love "cute", "cuddly" animals. The whole Disney concept of endowing animals with human emotions and speech.

:duc

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

Latest posts