Galloways on my wish list

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
kfacres said:
WildRoseBeef said:
Maybe you should better explain what part of "colour" you're referring to.
I'm refering to the fact you cannot take belteds and breed them to fullbloods-- and register them. and the same goes for whites to fullbloods..

Even though they are all galloway, that ass'n has 3 different herdbooks, and you can't flip flop back and forth b/w them. once you're out of the fullblood herdbook, you're o ut.
I think you need to reread the herd book again. The CGN says that Belted Galloways x Galloways and White Galloways x Galloways can be registered IF they have the colour patterns they are looking for. No Galloways cannot be registrable if crossed or have an ancestry with Belted or White galloways, nor can Belties be registrable if crossed with white and vice versa. But nothing says that belties x galloway fullbloods and white x fullblood doesn't make a registerable calf except for the colour specifications. The similar thing is with AGBA.

I also don't see that there are three different herd books. There's one herd book with three sections, technically, not three separate herd books per se.

kfacres

Reaction score
kfacres said:
WildRoseBeef said:
]
]
"Regardless of their color patterns, the following cattle are not eligible for registration in any Section or either Appendix of the Herd Book:
(i) any animal with a mixture of Belted Galloway and White Galloway ancestry."

From the CGA:

"5. The following cattle shall not be eligible for registration in the Herd Book of the Canadian Galloway Association:
(a) Galloways with Belted Galloway and/or White Galloway ancestry.
(b) Belted Galloways with White Galloway ancestry.
(c) White Galloways with Belted Galloway ancestry."

)
so basically what you are saying, is that you cannot cross the colors and make register able calves--- which also just happened to be the exact same thing I talked about above.
Just reading what you typed.

Royd Wood

Reaction score
Not sure where you want to take this post to KF as 99.9% on here like to contribute and try to advise with some accuracy - we are not all perfect and an error or two will occur - you however seem to enjoy dictating and a forum fight seems to be right up your street.
I assume (yes wrong to assume but hey) you have studied the Galloway requirements and come up with a kfacres version so I will try to clarify a few points

you cant mix a solid and a white its not considered a purebread anymore

Yes you can - IT'S NOT PUREBRED- IT'S APPENDIX... PUREBRED GALLOWAYS MUST BE IN SECTION ONE OF THE LLINK I PROVIDED

In Canada - You can breed a belted or a white with a solid and if the calf meets the requirements of belted or white then it can be registered in the appropiate appendix
So lets say a calf is a full belted heifer with a belted mum and a solid sire, then it can be regst in the Belted appendix section - to rejoin the Belted registration it takes 6 generations of continous heifers being bred to purebred Belted bulls then if you get a 6th generation heifer calf it can be registered as purebred - so in a nutshell IT CAN BE DONE

Attached is the herdbook rules for the American Galloway Breeders Assoc.

The Canadian Galloway Association is basically identical.

No it isn't PROVE TO ME HOW IT IS DIFFERENT

My two 100% belted cows had heifer calves this year with incomplete belts sired by a solid - in the AGBA I could register - in the CGA its a no

kfacres

Reaction score
last time I checked- all fullbloods, were purebred, but not all purebreds are fullbloods.. and not a single appendix, is either purebred, or fullblood.

can you agree to that?

The link that WRB provided, stated

The following cattle shall not be eligible for registration in the Herd Book of the Canadian Galloway Association:
(a) Galloways with Belted Galloway and/or White Galloway ancestry. MEANING--- IF YOU BREED EITHER A WHITE, OR A BELTED, TO A FULLBLOOD-- YOU CANNOT REGISTER THE CALF AS A FULLBLOOD, OR PUREBRED GALLOWAY, I DIDN'T SAY AS A WHITE OR BELTED THOUGH-- IT'S CLEAR YOU CAN PAPER THEM IN THAT COLOR, AS LONG AS THEY MEET COLOR REQUIREMENTS.
(b) Belted Galloways with White Galloway ancestry. MEANING---- YOU CANNOT BREED THESE TWO COLORS TOGETHER
(c) White Galloways with Belted Galloway ancestry-- MEANING THE SAME AS ABOVE..

THIS IS HER LINK, NOT MINE... I'M JUST INTERPRETING IT.

Royd Wood

Reaction score
Thats the big prob here - your not interpreting, you are not getting to grips with your Galloway study, If you were part of the Galloway World you would understand - you just want to as usual google, read then pick a fight and why would you ever want a Galloway as they would never meet your forum standards just like my Romney sheep

OK - for the last time and please try this time to take it on board -

Galloway cattle are a very ancient breed - during the invasion of North Western England along the border with Scotland by the Romans, the soldiers enjoyed their beef then kept warm under the fur of a Galloway
Belted Galloways came about many centuries later by using the Dutch Belted on a solid Galloway
White Galloway were fell upon in only the last century in the US

So why would you want to put belted or white galloway from the last century into a solid Galloway thats been around for a few thousand years as that would be a giant backward step
what you do to improve your white and belted galloway is try and get more solids in the mix - are you getting this kf or is it over the top again

kfacres

Reaction score
Royd Wood said:
Thats the big prob here - your not interpreting, you are not getting to grips with your Galloway study, If you were part of the Galloway World you would understand - you just want to as usual google, read then pick a fight and why would you ever want a Galloway as they would never meet your forum standards just like my Romney sheep

OK - for the last time and please try this time to take it on board -

Galloway cattle are a very ancient breed - during the invasion of North Western England along the border with Scotland by the Romans, the soldiers enjoyed their beef then kept warm under the fur of a Galloway
Belted Galloways came about many centuries later by using the Dutch Belted on a solid Galloway
White Galloway were fell upon in only the last century in the US

So why would you want to put belted or white galloway from the last century into a solid Galloway thats been around for a few thousand years as that would be a giant backward step
what you do to improve your white and belted galloway is try and get more solids in the mix - are you getting this kf or is it over the top again
My original words, were copied and pasted from someone who I believe as one of the top Galloway breeders in the US, direct from another message board. Matter of fact, this person has a bull that I believe in 3x National champion at Denver.

The history of a breed means nothing to the people of today, most only care about cure, fuzzy, and colorful. If you don't believe that, get on the BYC and see what is talked about.

OK, explain this situation to me:

I said: you cant mix a solid and a white its not considered a purebread anymore

you said: Yes you can

I said: IT'S NOT PUREBRED- IT'S APPENDIX... PUREBRED GALLOWAYS MUST BE IN SECTION ONE OF THE LLINK I PROVIDED

I then said: You never answered my question about: last time I checked- all fullbloods, were purebred, but not all purebreds are fullbloods.. and not a single appendix, is either purebred, or fullblood.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
Royd, let's just end it this way: Kfacres and his alter egos always seems to be ones who wants to think he's always right about everything. :rolleyes:

We're just arguing technicalities here. You are only trying to prove you're right on one side of the equation, but can't seem to see the other to balance things out.

KF, that last sentence didn't even remotely sound like a question, so how do you expect Royd to "answer" it?

Alright, I'm outta this discussion before I get into any more trouble.

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
kf please i did not mean for this to be an argumentative thread, so quit comenting. i believe royd raises registered galloways??? and if i'm corect then his knowledge is undoubtably more reliable and i will go with what he said. if you had dropped it and listened after that 1st 1-2 coments we wouldn't be having this problem.

CochinBrahmaLover=)

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
manybirds said:
And some red wattles

4500_rw2.jpg

4500_rw3.jpg
http://greenfirefarms.com/livestock/red-wattle-pigs/
C'mon, they ship 'em even!

manybirds

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
:drool if i only had the funds for shipping (i didn't look at cost but i can just imagine lol). i'm not real sure what to think of there wattles.........how they can be so disgustingly amazing and yet intriguing at the same time.