Gardening Thread 2021

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you ever made an arbor with the panels? I thought I'd try it with pole beans and use the shade for something that could use less direct sun. They look heavy and hard to bend?
Cow panels are heavy wire, but they are 16’ long and surprisingly flexible. I’ve bowed them over and made hoop chicken coops with tin roofs, screwed to 1x4 slats on the inside, and hoop runs, covered in hardware cloth. An arbor would be a great idea. Cow panels are very useful.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
IMG_20211101_180422.jpg
Supposed to get down to 40 tonight so I picked what I could before dark of these super chilies. Plants are still loaded with green ones. Shame summer's over. Pulled what was left of the jalapenos. Take them all to work tomorrow. By Friday one of the ladies from Guatemala will bring me something homemade and spicy. :celebrate:drool

Yesterday I spread compost and planted red clover and hairy vetch. Watched a big praying mantis walk across the garden. I don't know about global warming but I've never seen one of those that late in the year still alive. Weird, maybe cuz it was Halloween idk.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If you've read much of this gardening thread you may have noticed I'm not a fan of snakes. I took this picture this morning at work. Made it thru the factory into the clean room. They worry about dust particles.
IMG_20211104_101937.jpg
It was scooped into a dustpan and released unharmed outside. Thankfully 27 miles from home.

Marie2020

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
View attachment 88059
Supposed to get down to 40 tonight so I picked what I could before dark of these super chilies. Plants are still loaded with green ones. Shame summer's over. Pulled what was left of the jalapenos. Take them all to work tomorrow. By Friday one of the ladies from Guatemala will bring me something homemade and spicy. :celebrate:drool

Yesterday I spread compost and planted red clover and hairy vetch. Watched a big praying mantis walk across the garden. I don't know about global warming but I've never seen one of those that late in the year still alive. Weird, maybe cuz it was Halloween idk.
I'm seeing a few ladybirds and it's November.

Freezing cold night's and morning's then sunny for a while with a grey overcast sky to follow 🤫
We live in a very peculiar time me thinks

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
IMG_20211105_154701.jpg
Strange times indeed. 30 yrs ago that tree would not be green. Most of the leaves would have fallen before Halloween. Used to rake them and put in a big pumpkin bag.
First frost I've seen was this morning used to be early October. My Pop bless his heart " govt messing with the weather punching holes in the atmosphere with all those rockets". He also swore the moon landing was staged in Arizona at night.:idunno