Gardening Thread 2021

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Chicken manure needs compost for heavy use. Light applications ok, light side dress...keep off plants, lightly work into soil...doesn't take much! Rabbit and goat can be worked in without such concern...ready to use, so to speak...but winter application to compost in is best.

Too much chicken manure will kill stuff, burn it right up. Even grasses near chicken houses have been shown to have grass that cause nitrogen poisoning to animals eating it. But you can cut and use that grass as fertilizing mulch. The free range hens fertilize grasses in amounts that aren't dangerous....unless too many on small area.

Comfrey leaves are a good fertilizer and ready to use. Or you can make stinky comfrey tea. Manure teas can be used, also. My goats and chickens love the comfrey and it's a nutrition plus in small amounts. I have to fence mine off to save it from snack attacks... 😁

Last edited:

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
My comfrey is beautiful right now! The bees are hapoy to have it. I do make a comfrey and nettle tea for fert. We use mothers day as when to plant. It is usually dry and windy though. Gonna start warming up fast I think. I know no one likes ticks. Nasty bastards. The rats bring them here. Dogs killed one yesterday. Horse manure has too many weed seeds. I did out some in my compost pile to heat it up. But I don't want to spread it on my garden. Correct you can use rabbit manure with out composting. I have a constant supply. All my beds were topped in it mixed with some straw, hay, or pine shavings. Soon it will just be going Straight to the compost pile. I have a pretty big pile right now pretty much done, going to fill a new raised bed with it and top it off with dirt. I really need two piles but I just don't have the space.

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Actually ticks are active any day the temp is above freezing. Doesn't have to be hot for ticks. Here anyway. A tiny bit of rain here, supposed to get more. Feeling bad for anyone affected by the tornadoes. Pray for a great garden for everyone who puts forth the effort!

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
IMG_20210504_101647859_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
Looks like I've got a new tenant in my greenhouse.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know. Assuming it's a bird, little bird put a nest in an open bag of pro mix couple years ago. Kinda scared to move it.
Are there eggs yet? If no eggs, maybe you can build a shelf and move the nest so it's out of the way? It might abandon the nest but at least it won't have started laying yet.

Last edited: