Gardening Thread 2021

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Are there eggs yet? If no eggs, maybe you can build a shelf and move the nest so it's out of the way? It might abandon the nest butt at least it won't have started laying yet.
I looked inside no eggs yet. I saw bird droppings so at least it's not a mouse or rat. I'm going leave it cuz it's pretty cool when there's babies. They really aren't in my. I moved some stuff so I won't bother it. If it's the wrens I'm thinking of they've been in there before. I can't believe how big it is and how quick it got built. Wasn't there for certain on Saturday cuz I watered that pot.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Unless it's a rat nest? 🐁🐀🐭Looks kinda big for your mouse friends, lol.
Greenhouse! I'm jealous!
Nope mice are in the people house:hit
Don't be jealous it's not all that. Harbor freight 6x8. Sun's burning up the roof panels. Somebody will say different, I'll tell you they are alot of work. The only advantage I see over a cold frame is I can stand up in it and store stuff in it. Earlier it was 110 in there. Need to put my shade cloth over it. Can you say lazy.:caf

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I like getting (really just seeing) the first few ticks of the year. It means it's finally warming up and the depressing winter is over. :gig The silver lining.
A cardinal tells me that ... It s pretty and doesn't bite me. ;) Instead of ticks.

Rain here, too. Strange....saw it coming across the field, it came down good and within a few minutes sunshine there, rain stopped. I can see more black clouds, hear a little thunder. More coming. I need some rain. It's been pretty hot and dry. Farmer next door was working his field earlier as dust clouds were all around him. The ground can handle more and I'm not working the garden until Fri or Sat. Should be perfect :old 😁 Let's hope.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
A cardinal tells me that ... It s pretty and doesn't bite me. ;) Instead of ticks.

Rain here, too. Strange....saw it coming across the field, it came down good and within a few minutes sunshine there, rain stopped. I can see more black clouds, hear a little thunder. More coming. I need some rain. It's been pretty hot and dry. Farmer next door was working his field earlier as dust clouds were all around him. The ground can handle more and I'm not working the garden until Fri or Sat. Should be perfect :old 😁 Let's hope.
Booming outside be here in about 20 minutes I figure IMG_20210504_191648013.jpg
Just pulled that off my belly. So much for the Sevin granules.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Peas are coming but not as thick as I planted. Bought some treated snap peas seeds at the Southern states dealer this morning. Figure I'll go ahead and put some more out see what happens.
I've got the market cornered on chickweed if anybody wants some, be glad to send it your way.
Chickweed is good! I made salads with it and used chickweed instead of lettuce in tacos. I dehydrate tomatoes for winter salads. I can’t abide store bought tomatoes so I dehydrate my own. I picked chickweed, washed, drained and stored in zip lock bags in the refrigerator for several days as I used it. I’ve read that you can also make pesto with it, maybe I’ll try that next year. It warmed up now, chickweed went to seed so I’ll pick it again next year.

59712519-EAA7-490C-BC60-092E8E92AE21.jpeg

68E68CD7-5C25-4319-9869-A8C4FA9E477C.jpeg

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Chickweed is good! I made salads with it and used chickweed instead of lettuce in tacos. I dehydrate tomatoes for winter salads. I can’t abide store bought tomatoes so I dehydrate my own. I picked chickweed, washed, drained and stored in zip lock bags in the refrigerator for several days as I used it. I’ve read that you can also make pesto with it, maybe I’ll try that next year. It warmed up now, chickweed went to seed so I’ll pick it again next year.

View attachment 84957

View attachment 84956
Man says I see you got the chickweed ,knew you would, brought that chicken house manure home happen everytime. And I've heard that from lots of people. They think it's something Perdue puts in the feed. So nobody I know eats it. My retired vet told me come get all you want your quail will tear it up. It's all gone now but when it comes back I'll take a picture make sure it's the right stuff and try it. We used to spray it in spring with roundup. Course that didn't work ,now I know it had already reseeded.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Finally we got in the garden yesterday. So far, I’ve picked turnip and mustard greens, got some in the freezer. Green onions have been good, they are making onions now, so I stopped pulling them. I’ve had a bodacious crop of rye grass, lambs quarters and ragweed. We’ve had a lot of rainy weather and when there was a decent day, we always had appointments that seem to take all day. We did get a late frost, so I felt vindicated at being so late in the garden.

So yesterday we laid out cardboard and covered it with well composted wood chips, already broke down, black and crumbly. We also use paper feed sacks. I have 3 rolls of weed cloth that we are going to lay out this morning. I used weed cloth last year, it still grew crabgrass under it. Had to roll it up and pull the darned crabgrass! This morning we are going to lay out feed sacks with the weed cloth over it, held down by bricks.

This is my entire 2021 harvest of English peas. Epic failure. We ate them all for supper.

E3B076CC-9749-47C6-B185-01E0D7244D3A.jpeg

My weed choked 2 rows of purple mustard greens. I’m going to get them weeded, pull most of them but save a few to go to seed.

29591726-824C-4B10-AF7E-13CF023AAABF.jpeg

This is the tomato trellis we prepared yesterday. I use cow panels on T posts, set 20” apart. I put up 3 cow panels, making 2 double rows. They work great and I never take them down. That’s my tomato plants happy place, they grow over the top, get to 10-12’ high. I totally recommend cow panels for super easy permanent tomato trellis.

4CF4B4DD-57BF-418C-9A0B-538B814A9CBA.jpeg

The green plants you see in the trellis are black eyed Susan’s. I just go around them, I enjoy their flowers. The mulched area to the right is for planting beans. The trellis is double row, 32 feet long. I have another tomato trellis, double row, 16 feet long.

We have sunshine today, clouding up tomorrow and the rains come back Sunday.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looking good out there!

That mustard is sure pretty. Peas..I like them sauted with butter and dried oregano. Just a nice combo.

Starting is always hard for me. I brought some big cardboard boxes home from jobs. I have a stack of 8.5x11 sheets of lightweight cardboard...comes in my job pkgs...and I'm going to try using them around my tomato plants. Cut hole in center, make a cut to edge to open as I lay it around the plant. You lay out the aboard and cut into...same results...I just have a lot of these. Not as heavy as a box but, enough. I used to use newspaper and wet it. It stuck like glue. Not so much newsprint around now.

I've disc twice. Gotta rake to smooth and drag stuff out....then plant! Working! :weee

Latest posts