Getting 2 Kids

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have been told not to use Corrid. It can lead to goat polio. Dimexoth is ok . Make sure you keep the antitoxin on hand in the first couple of months.
The goat lady gave us some to give them for a few days to make sure they don’t develop coccidia from the stress.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Our first family pic
20E9CC41-B743-4834-8D2F-23740034FABE.jpeg

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Congrats on the cuties! Definitely make sure you are comfortable giving a bottle before they come home. I agree with the other advice posted.

Goat math...we started with Boers, switched to dairy. Bought 6 knowing we planned on milking. We are up to 25 with one doe bred for June and our name out for several more to add yet this years.

So we gave bottles to them before leaving and they did very well. Tonight, the black one, Tipsy, wouldn't take the bottle. She clamped her mouth shut. The Cou Clair one, Dixie, sucked hers down. We let them play in the kitchen for awhile and have crated them. I will try again later.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
She *should* eat when she gets hungry since she is familiar with eating from a bottle.

Some things I’ve noticed is that they won’t take the bottle if the milk is too cool. (I know that you know better than too hot or they could get burnt. It’s very similar to feeding a human baby a heated bottle.)

Also, you may have to pry her mouth open and push the nipple in to get her going again. It doesn’t need to be rough, just sometimes getting it in their mouth gets that oral suck reflex to react and they’ll go to town!

Also, is she used to being held? Standing on the ground and being fed from in front of her? You may have to mimic the way that she was fed by the breeder until she adapts to her new surroundings.

Cute names! I think you are in for a load of fun! Take lots of videos and of course, we want to see pics!

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Tipsy doesn't take the bottle as easily as does Dixie. Maybe I should attach the nipple to a wine bottle. She may not realize that Tipsy is in reference to the white on the end of her tail. One thing that I realized is that the bottle from tractor supply needed the end cutoff the bottle. She guzzled it like a champ. This morning she was still a little bit of a struggle but not as bad. I'm holding etc the same as the breeder but we need to get the kinks worked out.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Is this normal poop?

Attachments

• 4C7452DC-AAC1-4E35-B0DB-FCC1C228CC59.jpeg
    4C7452DC-AAC1-4E35-B0DB-FCC1C228CC59.jpeg
    410.4 KB · Views: 187

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
looks like the first colostrum poo you see in the first few days-1 week old kids. First poo is tar like, then as they get the colostrum it is mustard yellow and more glob like- then it progresses to mote itty bitty berry formed clumps