1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Let's start this week fun. Submit your Horse Humor - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Getting goat babies to eat grain

Discussion in 'Feeding Time - Goats' started by Georgia Girl, May 17, 2019.

1. May 17, 2019
    Georgia Girl

Georgia Girl Overrun with beasties

My 4 goat babies are 3 and 4 weeks old, how do they learn to eat grain if the mother's take it all? Do you put them in a pen and leave them with grain in a bowl which I have done and they want touch it. they will get up and try to eat with Mama but she does not allow them any? So how are you getting them on grain.....I think I read that most will eat by 3 weeks even though they are not weaned until around 12 weeks. I notice also that the mothers seem to not be letting them nurse that much as if she is trying to wean them off???? They are nibbling hay and they are always nibbling my fingers as if they are hungry. how do most of you handle allowing the little one to eat? Do you ever have a place with an opening that is just big enough for the little ones to go into that has feed? Or is this something at their age that I should not be concerned about????

2. May 18, 2019
    B&B Happy goats

B&B Happy goats Herd Master Golden Herd Member

I use a large feed bowl when i have a doe with kids so they can eat together.....

Georgia Girl likes this.
  3. May 19, 2019
    Hens and Roos

Hens and Roos Herd Master

x2 on what @B&B Happy goats does, the kids eat out of the does bowls, we have 1 doe that will allow kids other then hers to share the bowl.

B&B Happy goats likes this.
  4. May 19, 2019
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Herd Master

Yep, larger, low bowl/tub. Rectangular works well, more head room. I put in extra feed so mom's get theirs and kids begin to eat -- like mom! At this age, she isn't weaning them. She is letting them nurse what they need and she has, them walking away to stop nursing. When full and time for them to nurse, she will call them. They will nurse longer at this point but, less number of times a day.

These are the times that those of us who have dairy goats, and WANT to milk them longer, must be active in either separating or milking to keep production up. It's time when -- if you totally bottle feed -- the amount in each feed increases and # of feedings decrease -- like mom is doing.

Be sure pasture and/or hay is available 24/7.