Girls are going on a date!

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I agree with @Alaskan. A lot of grain and they aren't hungry. The hay sounds good.

Boys can have whatever as long as their diet is properly calcium and phosphorus balanced. I found/heard you don't have to worry about that too much with bucks than you do wethers....I would still be a bit careful though.
Yeeeeah...I don't know how to tell if the calcium and phosphorus are balanced so if it's not too crazy tomorrow, I'm hoping to hit the feed store for goat feed.

BarnOwl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
...or get two bucks and use one to cover your originals and one to cover the offspring you unavoidably keep...and then you need another and another and another of the next breed you "try" et c.
Can two bucks be together in the same pasture or do they fight/compete too much?

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I hear there are exceptions, but most bucks are fine and even enjoy their frat club pens. They do wrestle and buck each other up, but they seem to like each other and be nicer to each other more than the does do. They just get out for dates.

Genipher

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Dogs have dug under the goat fence TWICE now. They don't hurt them, they're just providing a way for the goats to escape and have access to the whole backyard.
It is driving me CRAZY.

If I can find it in the budget I think I'll build a waist high raised STONE garden bed along the goat fence so the dogs will stop digging them out!

Oh, and today I saw evidence that Poppy and the buck have been having some good times together. 😆

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dogs have dug under the goat fence TWICE now. They don't hurt them, they're just providing a way for the goats to escape and have access to the whole backyard.
It is driving me CRAZY.

If I can find it in the budget I think I'll build a waist high raised STONE garden bed along the goat fence so the dogs will stop digging them out!

Oh, and today I saw evidence that Poppy and the buck have been having some good times together. 😆
A stone garden bed will make it easier for the dogs to jump in.

You probably need electric.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wire at bottom, about a ft over grass...dogs can't dig in. By summer they will have given up the game and you can remove it.