Goat Collar/Lead/Harness

Legamin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Absolutely! and great advertising for your breed. Also check to see if there are any hand spinner magazines or associations with publications and check into writing an article about your sheep breed and the amazing qualities of their wool. Advertising in those magazines is also a good way to get your endangered breed known. Since Leicester Long Wools are known for their wool, those are the places in which to advertise.

If you decide to get a booth, or exhibit at a Fair or Wool Show, save the short clips from shearing which would otherwise be swept up and discarded. Attach small clean 1.5" snips to some of your business cards to pass out at shows as samples. Handing out small samples will introduce people to your breed's beautiful wool and let them see firsthand the crimp, etc. Since you would otherwise toss out those short bits, you will not be taking anything away from your sale fleeces to make your sample cards.

Although naturally colored wool has become popular, white wool is still the most preferred. Colored wool, even when from the same fleece, has gradations in color while white fleece can be dyed. Many hand spinners like to use natural plant dyes on their white wool.

Let us know what happens!
All great information. We have found wool processsing plants in both MN and MT. It would be so helpful if there were something further West. Shipping is one of the make or break profit killers in this industry. This is for the raw material shipping back and forth and not so much the next product. Although with mail theft growing we are having to guard our mailbox at delivery time and actually standing armed by the gates to ward off thieves. Yesterday a truck pulled right up after the mail truck and I had to ward them off with our dog and my ‘sweet winning nature’. Just a few years ago over $80,000 sped off in the back of a truck and trailer. We’re out in the country and it takes hours for the sheriff to respond. Businesses are facing unique challenges now that never before would have even been considered as possible threats.
Thanks for the ideas. I have a couple hundred pounds of floor scraps that have been too mixed with hay etc. to send in for cleaning but I can wash them myself and arrange by quality and tape to business cards.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just brush the dirt off.

There used to be a place in Morrow Bay, California, that did a fleeces for me several years ago. I think she has since stopped doing outside washing and roving. Here are a couple to try in Washington.

Woodinville is on the western side outside Seattle.

Evergreen Fleece Processing​

Business consulting
21516 80th Ave SE, Woodinville · (425) 248-8967

Colville is in northeast Washington, due north of Spokane. Closer to you.

Jayne Deardorff, Owner
Me2 Farm
Colville, WA 99114
Phone: (509) 684-5623
jayne@me2farm.com

Another resource is the Idaho State Wool Growers Association since you are close to the Idaho border. The Washington State Wool Growers Association is defunct. It has now reorganized as the Washington State Sheep Producers Association.

Legamin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just brush the dirt off.

There used to be a place in Morrow Bay, California, that did a fleeces for me several years ago. I think she has since stopped doing outside washing and roving. Here are a couple to try in Washington.

Woodinville is on the western side outside Seattle.

Evergreen Fleece Processing​

Business consulting
21516 80th Ave SE, Woodinville · (425) 248-8967

Colville is in northeast Washington, due north of Spokane. Closer to you.

Jayne Deardorff, Owner
Me2 Farm
Colville, WA 99114
Phone: (509) 684-5623
jayne@me2farm.com

Another resource is the Idaho State Wool Growers Association since you are close to the Idaho border. The Washington State Wool Growers Association is defunct. It has now reorganized as the Washington State Sheep Producers Association.
I’ve sent out emails and look forward to making contact. I would love to deal with someone in the area that I could drop off a few hundred pounds of wool and not have to worry about it until they call back! That takes about $1000 of the cost of shipping out of the equation if they can handle the job to my requirements.
Thanks for the info. I am in your debt.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
How far north is Colville? Nice overnight trip with spouse to drop off and then again to pick up?

Legamin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Colville is just an hour across between highways and a bit north. I have friends up there to plan a visit when we make the trip. There’s also an awesome burger place that I went to as a teen working as lifeguard at a local camp. ‘Clayton Burger’. Haven’t been in 40 years but I know it’s still there and everyone still says it’s great!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Perfect for you if they still process wool! An hour to drop off wool, grab a good burger and another hour home. Fun trip with the DW.