Goat Conformation advice

Ozzy Goat Girl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
image.jpeg
Hi everyone, just asking your advice on my British alpine buck's confirmation.
In the picture he is about one year old maybe a bit younger.

He is a rescue and had a very hard start to life. When I rescued him he was only 3 months old, being bottle fed and extremely under weight and full of worms. I continued to bottle feed him, wormed him and slowly got him up to full health. He is now turning three this year.
Thank you :)

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you have a more recent picture? At that age it can be a little hard to evaluate because of the growth stage. Goats, especially bucks, can go through goofy "teenage" growth stages.

Photos from behind of the goat and the front of the goat would help too.

He looks a bit high in the butt, that is causing his rump to look steep and his chine weak. His toes are open but I've been told it's nearly impossible to have tight toes and an alpine! Of course, some of this could just be the picture. It's hard to really evaluate a goat by a picture.

His brisket looks like it has decent extension for his age.

His condition and coat look good :thumbsup

Ozzy Goat Girl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you so much.

He was a rescue and is not registered as far as I know. I've had goats as pets for a few years but would like to maybe show. I don't know much about showing goats as I only have experience in showing horses.

If he can be registered, do I need to know who his parents are? Or how does the goat registration work?
Will get new pics later today

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Because you are in Australia, I would look for a good mentor over your way :)
I don't have the slightest idea how the registries or shows "work" where you are.
Here in the US, he couldn't be registered with our normal registries like ADGA or AGS.

Let us know what you find though! Oh, and :welcome

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Just so you know, there is an "edit" function button at the bottom of the post screen... you can re-open your post and add/correct as you need. :D =D