Goat Garden

Payturpin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello all! So I have a Nigerian dwarf doeling. She is about 5 months old and loves to forage. However, we have more than a few questionable plants in our backyard that are way too big too remove. So I was wondering if it would be prudent to plant some things in the yard that our little doeling can safely eat so she won’t go munching on things she shouldn’t? If so, what are some good recommendations of plants to grow. We live in south Texas so plants that are tolerant to the humidity are ideal. Thanks in advance ❤️

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello all! So I have a Nigerian dwarf doeling. She is about 5 months old and loves to forage. However, we have more than a few questionable plants in our backyard that are way too big too remove. So I was wondering if it would be prudent to plant some things in the yard that our little doeling can safely eat so she won’t go munching on things she shouldn’t? If so, what are some good recommendations of plants to grow. We live in south Texas so plants that are tolerant to the humidity are ideal. Thanks in advance ❤️
https://goats.extension.org/goat-pastures-poisonous-plants/

Unless you specifically have a whole load of these plants she should be fine to munch on whatever green things you have. Our goats actually do eat Virginia creeper in smaller amounts and it has never caused a problem.

Wild Bug Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
do you have a second goat with her? Goat are herd animals.....not to get into anyones business or a no it all but just asking cause I know you said in what you wrote is that you have a Nigerian Dwarf doeling....

and what misfitmorgan said and the link she sent is really helpful as well.

Payturpin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We did have a second doeling, unfortunately she died last week from pneumonia and parasites that we did not know about being novice goat owners. We’ve only had these goats for 2 1/2 weeks so it was a big shock to us. Which is why I’m doing everything I can to make sure this doeling is as safe and healthy as possible. We are going to get her a friend when we know all the parasites are handled and the pneumonia is all cleared up.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
However, we have more than a few questionable plants in our backyard that are way too big too remove.
As in...... they are poisonous?

Or... you don't know what they are?

If you don't know what they are i would figure out what they are... you can bring cuttings to your extention office...

If you know they are poisonous.... well... bad poison? Or just slightly?

I have several poisonous things that my goats would nibble on... but none were super bad poisonous, and since they had a large area, they only nibbled...

So no harm was done.

Latest posts