Goat halters too small... What next?

Pinecones

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My 250lb+ pack goats have outgrown their XL goat halters. What's the next size up; llama? Miniature horse? Anyone figured out a good step up? Thought I'd get some input before throwing money at experiments :)

Pinecones

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I wish there was some kind of chart! The halters all seem about the same price range; $16-$18, but I'm just puzzling over sizing; is a new born calf's head bigger or smaller than a llama? A mini horse? A yearling horse? How big is the yearling calf size? I just wish I could find measurements! I found some economy yearling horse halters very cheap, I'm tempted to jump at that just to see? ._.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Horse, llama, goat, calf heads are all different shapes o it is not always the size that matters. Try to get haters that have adjustable nose and cheek pieces as well as throat latches. Our leather newborn calf halters that we used for showing 300 lb veal calves are now sold as large ram halters.

Pinecones

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I prefer the buckle halters as I pack with them and the secure connection and aesthetic is nice. They wear their halters for long periods sometimes.

I did find some charts for measurements on individual species, various sizes of each. It seems like "cow calf" or "newborn horse" might work, but I'll have to punch more holes on the crown piece. I like the horse style because two of my boys are disbudded lamanchas... i.e. no ears or horns to hold the head strap. And they know it... the horse style goes under the jaw as well so it might keep them buckled in. I like the quick-clip under the chin, plus I can get them padded, which I think they'll appreciate!

My biggest goat is 36" tall at the withers and 40" long and still growing.

I found a deal on "miniature horse halters", that come in "small" size and had reviews of people using them for goats. I ordered one, I'll see how it turns out!

wolf

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My 250lb+ pack goats have outgrown their XL goat halters. What's the next size up; llama? Miniature horse? Anyone figured out a good step up? Thought I'd get some input before throwing money at experiments :)
I use halters on my Katahdins so my hands have a “handle” when I move them. I ordered “large” goat fig-8 halters like before, but it seems the mail-order stores have decided to size for Nigerians instead of large goat-breeds. My ram is BIG boy! He’s bigger than me, and old gimpy self REALLY needs that handle! So I got the Jeffers people on chat, and finally decided on a llama halter - same style but bigger. Works great!

Attachments

• B4B1B2F0-CC64-4DD8-81F4-BBC89677D024.jpeg
    B4B1B2F0-CC64-4DD8-81F4-BBC89677D024.jpeg
    543.8 KB · Views: 84

Pinecones

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I use halters on my Katahdins so my hands have a “handle” when I move them. I ordered “large” goat fig-8 halters like before, but it seems the mail-order stores have decided to size for Nigerians instead of large goat-breeds. My ram is BIG boy! He’s bigger than me, and old gimpy self REALLY needs that handle! So I got the Jeffers people on chat, and finally decided on a llama halter - same style but bigger. Works great!
Excellent to hear! If this mini horse style doesn't work, I'll look for llama halters :D Still waiting on "Prime 2-day shipping" to arrive, 7 business days after I ordered.... lol.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I so want a pack goat!
As far as halters you might be able to find someone or learn how to tie a rope halter. You can also make your own, the supplies will probably be at hobby lobby, and webbing isn’t as hard to sew as it looks. That is, if your other options don’t work.

Latest posts