Goat Housing

bjjohns

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
catahoula what is your shelter made out of? Looks like silo bin rings, but I am thinking it could be a purchased kit or fencing bent around and covered with a canvas.
you can make a quick one of these using tarps from billboard tarps and a bender from Lost Creek. Build a 10'x10' frame from fence line posts & corners (available at you local big box hardware store), and add 4 - 90 degree brackets from the same area. Wanna be cheap, just build your hoops from GREY PLASTIC CONDUIT (3/4") - they grey is UV resistant. I've got 3 or 4nof these hanging around here.

bjjohns

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
ksj0225 said:
bbjohns, what are the dimensions or your portable shelter? Any suggestion for building one.
7ish wide by 9ish long. It's made completely from rough cut lumber, and used sheet metal. The entire cost of that thijng (excluding labor) was under $30. Everything was bought at auction except the screws, the nailer plates, and the 1/2" rods used for rear axles.

Height is 4' in the rear, and 5ish feet in the front.

Suggestions? Yeah, reinforce the heck out of the bottom. Rocks, divots and bumps twist and torque the whole bottom of it more than you can think. It took two sessions of adding nailer plates before we could even successfully tow it out to the rotational pen.

zelloniszoo

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
when we first got goats (2pygmies) we had a 10x10 dog kennel with a big doghouse in it for them to be shut in at night for security and 200ft of 4ft high field fence

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
20kidsonhill said:
catahoula what is your shelter made out of? Looks like silo bin rings, but I am thinking it could be a purchased kit or fencing bent around and covered with a canvas.
Hi,
This is my old post about my shelter....
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18513

We had a lot of fun building it but I think it will be too small in a year or so when my kids are bigger. We plan to build a covered, carport like structure to increase their protected area for rain and snow in the future. Will probably use the same material again.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Catahoula said:
20kidsonhill said:
Hi,
This is my old post about my shelter....
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18513

We had a lot of fun building it but I think it will be too small in a year or so when my kids are bigger. We plan to build a covered, carport like structure to increase their protected area for rain and snow in the future. Will probably use the same material again.
I thought I remembered you posting about this shelter. Glad to see my memory isn't that bad. :)

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
zelloniszoo said:
when we first got goats (2pygmies) we had a 10x10 dog kennel with a big doghouse in it for them to be shut in at night for security and 200ft of 4ft high field fence
When we first started we had 6 acres with a really bad fence around it. That was it. We brought home 7 does and 4 were bred. Luckily they were due in warmer weather. That was 15 years ago.