Goat Kidding?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is no accurate KNOWN reason for this non dilation. Some feel selenium, others feel calcium helps and no studies as it's not a usual occurance as is milk fever, etc. So calcium won't hurt them! Do they get alfalfa? I use pellets if good alf hay not available. Loose minerals out for them?

I'm throwing out things that are OTC and won't hurt, might help. :hugs :idunno:fl

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
The only thing that made me nervous was the fact that it says on the bottle, do not use on pregnant ewes it may cause abortions.
If they are within a few days of kidding it won't matter. I've induced goats to kid a little early with no problems.

If you're really worried you could try some of the Vit E and Selenium gel. I honestly don't think it would work as well as the injection but I suppose it would be better than nothing.

Beatrice

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
They are due any day. We put them with the buck at the end of September and took them out the end of January/early February. They are not safely on the five month since they were with the buck. We ordered BoSe but on Thursday from Valley Vet pharmacy in Kansas. Our vet just has to fill out an okay (since it needs a prescription) it may be already in the mail. Hope it comes today.

Beatrice

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We give a loose mineral with their feed in the morning. We do not feed alfalfa, I will definitely look into alfalfa pellets. For sunflower seeds, do you give them with the shells on or not?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sunflower seeds, black, shells are on.

Hoping for the best with these girls. :hugs I'm sure your on pins and needles scared, I would be!

Please let us know. I'd probably be thinking c- section to save them all. 🤷. Yeah $$$.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
How are your girls doing?

I'm actually surprised your vet had no BoSe on hand to sell a syringe full. Have you called for shipping info? I'm stressing.

Beatrice

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So far they seem fine. We are giving them some sun flower seeds and alfalfa pellets. The BoSe is supposed to come tomarrow.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good update. We just worry out here when there's a situation and we can't "touch" personally. Having our own animals and problems makes us feel your anxiety alongside you. 🥰 :hugs :yesss:

Beatrice

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The BoSe came today. Now to give it. I weight taped the goats, one is 175lbs and the other 140lbs approximate. I have read that adult goats get 2.5 ml per hundred pounds. Has any one else given BoSe in a different amount? Will a 22 gauge needle work?

Latest posts