Goat Names?

danerdherd

Just born
Reaction score
Hi there! I am new to the forum and thought I'd make my first post something fun. :) Anyways, I was just wondering what names you give the goats in your herd? Do you do theme names? My Lamancha does name is Carmella, which is Spanish for caramel. I plan on doing theme names like Harry Potter, Doctor Who, or something along those lines when I breed her. :)

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH's!!

I name mine mostly because I like the name or it fits the goat. Come to think of it I have only named one of my goats. haha The only name I have given to my goats is Moses, my Kiko buck. I do have a Nigerian Dwarf buck that I call Caleb but that is not his real name. My goats names are:

Alana -- Kiko
Sis -- Kiko
Arianna -- Kiko
Moses -- Kiko
Coco -- Nigerian Dwarf
Ben -- Caleb

Fluffygal

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I had a Rufus, but he turned into a dufus and so was sent away.
My first gal is Bella who now yearns for a new fella.
Her daughter Oreo has a popular name.
And then there is Fiona who is the most tame.

Sorry I get goofy when I am sleepy. :p

redtailgal

Reaction score
My two herd wethers (lol, fancy way of saying pet wethers, but it sound more impressive) are Socrates and Plato....thats the wether theme I have going. I'll prolly only keep two at a time, so that's it for them for awhile.

Wethers that are headed to the freezer get food names......Freezerburn was the last one, and the two I have now are Meatloaf and Butt Roast.

Does that I purchase get floral/plant names: Fern and Daisy are the two I have now. The next two will probably be Rose and Buttercup.

I am considering naming does that are born on my property Fruit names......since they will be the fruits of labor (hahahahahahahahaha)

danerdherd

Just born
Reaction score
These are all really cute names! :) I am considering giving my Lamancha kids dairy related names (since they will be used for milk/cheese) like Leche, Gouda, Blue, and Reinette (a take on rennet) :)

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
My kids name ours, although I have veto powers at times. So far, they have named all the girls after plants (Ginger, Verbena, Rosie, Petunia, Lily, Rosie, Daisy, and Sunflower) and boys after mythological characters (Perseus, Zeus, Eros, and Apollo). I want to name a few after Shakespearean characters next time but have to coax the kids into the idea :lol: Come on, Bianca, Beatrice, Caesar, Petruchio...that's fun!

Arabiansnob

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have Nigerian, pygmies and Nigoras/pangoras, I name them with names that I think fit them and or I like or they have already been named when I bought them and i think it kinda fits them even thoe I dont really like it......

Daisy Mae -- Pygmy

Marley -- Nigerian Dwarf

Daisy II "Dee Dee" -- Nigerian Dwarf (She name was Daisy when I bought her and I renamed her Dee Dee cuz I already had a Daisy)

Lacey -- Pygmy (already Named when I bought her)

Pandora -- Pangora

Bristol -- Nigora

Khia -- Nigerian Dwarf

George -- Nigerian Dwarf

Matilda -- Nigerian Dwarf/mini Fainter

Trixie -- Pygmy (Already Named when I bought her)

Mai Belle -- Pangora

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
With our lambs, we have a theme every year. This year was movie characters. Year before was Greek and Roman gods and goddesses. We only have 3 goats and we named them whatever we thought fit them. My 1st goat is Gus, my doeling is Lyric, and my sister's doeling is Hetty.

BullardBarnyard

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I only have one goat (yes, I know your supposed to have groups..) and I named her Gaga. :) Not just because I love Lady Gaga, but because Gaga (the preformer) has a thing in her Born This Way music video that she lives on G.O.A.T. (Government Owned Alien Territory)... So that's how Gaga got her name...

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
My Boers have a "Colts" theme (apparently I need to trade Peyton to someone in Colorado, though...) and with the Nubians and Obs I do the 'dairy goat thing' and go w/ the mom's 1st letter / dad's theme.

So our 1st keeper boer doeling this year will be "Lucky" and our dairy names I'll actually have to think about.