Goat shelter ideas?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Mine is substantially larger than what she needs and I didn't want to imply she needed anything that large. Really, a 10x12 or larger "shed" from like Home Depot would work, be quick and easy, no strenuous labor, and they'll deliver and install it... but it's pricey...

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Always go twice as large as you think you will need. Before deciding on the size go to the lumberyard or your local Lowes and look at a sheet of plywood. A standard sheet of plywood is 4' x 8' and that will give you a visual of the space you are talking about. Where will you store bales of hay? That is what your goats will need to eat more than grain. If your field is all nice grass, it will not support the needs of a goat which requires more forage in their diet than good grass grazing. You will need at least one feed per day of hay for rumen health. Hay bales are usually about 18" x 18" x 3-4' long. If the goats are full size dairy or Boer breeds, they will go through a bale in a week. Minis and dwarf breeds will eat less, but you do not want to be running to the feed store for a bale of hay every week. Also, prices are usually cheaper in summer when hay is being harvested. It would be wise to buy a ton (16-20 bales at a time since you usually get a break in the price and they usually deliver and stack it for you. The 8'x12' shed you describe will hold the hay, but where will the goats live?

If breeding is anywhere in your future, then you will need enough room for another separate stall for a kidding pen. A second stall is a good idea in case you have to separate any animal for some health reason. For 3 Angora goats, I think you should allow about 12'x12' of space so you will have enough room to comfortably go in and take care of the goats in the winter months. That will be enough room to have a feeder and water bucket inside as well. It is hard to clean a tiny stall into a wheelbarrow without leaving the door open and then the animals can get out. The outside open shelter is a really nice idea, and if you design it right, you can feed through a window from the hay barn into the feeders. This will prevent hay waste since you will not have to carry it around - hay tends to disintegrate unless carried in a cart or bag.

Remember to consider drainage. Build on a high spot so water will not drain into the barn. Make sure that the barn is predator resistant - this means a secure door or gate on the barn. Predators also include neighborhood dogs. You have an LGD so perhaps you could arrange a swinging flap for the dog to get in the barn with the goats when necessary. There are lot of plans on line and in how to books for small barns and animal shelters.

Remember, the larger the space the more enjoyable it will be for you to go in to take care of your goats, and the more convenient to take care of them too. That can make the difference in enjoying your livestock, and just having a few goats that eventually become too much of a hassle to keep.

Good luck and have fun1

TheGoldenFarm5

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hey! Sorry I haven’t been very active lately. I still haven’t built the shelter, but I have a pretty good idea of what it will look like. It’s going to be 20X14 feet for 2 goats, and I will have a separate area for the hay, feed, and tools to go. I am starting construction tomorrow. Also, my 2 angora goats are doing very well. I have Gandalf, who was born January 31
13A4ECE3-B333-40A5-827E-0AF5704AE218.jpeg

And Vincent Van Goat, who was born on May 20.
DEBE9861-E769-4812-AEEB-37C0E28FBA75.jpeg

They will both be coming home with me in about 5 weeks.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
How much space do you have between the deck boards so that legs/feet do not go between tbe boards and do you have to clean poop off boards every day?

So sorry, I just saw you asked that question...the space between the boards is less than a 1/2 inch...just enough for a full size goat berry to drop through , with a bit of wiggle room.:)
Your goats are just beautiful :love :thumbsup

Latest posts